[Completely OT] ... job hunters, what would you pay for ...

Old July 10th 05, 11:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-10, Biskybabe penned:

[snip]

Good luck. Starting your own business is really hard, but it's quite
cool, too.

Thanks for all the tips!

I have a solid full-time job, so this would really just be some spare
change and some experience in running my own business ... I would be
happily surprised at two clients a week. But I figure, as long as I'm
thinking about doing this, I might want to think about where it could
lead, too ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 11:29 PM
Jo Firey

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Do you have difficulty emphasizing your strengths? Perhaps you'd like
a consultation to help you with your cover letter? Of course, there's
a surcharge for smartasses.

--

I'm starting to wonder. Is there a limit to how many we can put in
killfiles?

And I think the resume/cover letter is a great idea. Don't know how you
would get to your intended clientele and where to meet with them could be a
problem. Wouldn't want unknown unemployed queuing up at my door.

I know many companies provide job hunting help when they have layoffs. And
I think they contract it out. That could be something to look into.

Jo

Old July 10th 05, 11:38 PM
Candace

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I wonder how those businesses work. I mean, you have to get the info
out of the person somehow ... I'd imagine that info would be in the
form of a resume ...

The ones I have actually seen are local places where you go in and talk
to them so they could get the info that way. Maybe you were planning
to do it over the internet only? In that case, it would be a little
more difficult and you would need a basic resume and to talk with them
over the phone or some major emailing to get enough info to beef it up
appropriately.

I would think locals would be easier so you could meet with them. But
that opens up a whole new can of worms since you need an office or
meeting place. To meet them at Starbucks or something might not
engender the trust in them to want to use and pay for your services.
And you might not want strangers coming to your home...Nothing ever is
simple, it seems.

Candace

Old July 10th 05, 11:49 PM
CatNipped

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Well, I got a lot of feedback from my job hunt that my cover letter
was absolutely excellent. More than one person said I had the best
cover letter they'd ever seen.

I've also helped a few people recently, and they all said that I had a
real knack for it.

How much would you pay to have someone spell and grammar check your
cover letter and resume?

How much would you pay for a half-hour evaluation of your cover
letter? How about for a more detailed consultation?

I'm also thinking of offering a discount for people who were laid off;
they could provide me with a copy of their lay-off letter as proof.
Thoughts on whether or not that's a good idea?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to answer this. If you'd
rather not answer it publicly, the email address I'm using is valid;
you can just reply.

I think it would be a great service, I'd pay a couple of hundred at least
for something that would help me find a job (not that I'm looking right now,
I *LOVE* my new job).

One thing you might want to think about, however, is whether the extra money
you get will offset the taxes you'll have to pay for self-employment income
(we got hit hard this year because of just a little bit of extra income I
got doing web sites).

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 11:57 PM
whitershadeofpale

CatNipped wrote:

One thing you might want to think about, however, is whether the extra money
you get will offset the taxes you'll have to pay for self-employment income
(we got hit hard this year because of just a little bit of extra income I
got doing web sites).

Hugs,

CatNipped

I was looking at your portfolio the other night! Very Nice!

Nice Clients too!

Old July 11th 05, 12:03 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-10, CatNipped penned:
I think it would be a great service, I'd pay a couple of hundred at
least for something that would help me find a job (not that I'm
looking right now, I *LOVE* my new job).

Wow! I was thinking of numbers much smaller than that. At least
until I get a reputation, I guess.

One thing you might want to think about, however, is whether the
extra money you get will offset the taxes you'll have to pay for
self-employment income (we got hit hard this year because of just a
little bit of extra income I got doing web sites).

Yeah -- do you have any info on this? Do you have to report all
personal income, or only over a certain threshold? Is there a site or
publication somewhere that talks about very small business ventures
and legal/tax responsibilities?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 11th 05, 12:12 AM
MissysMom

I should think there would be a market for such a resume' writing/cover
letter service. There could also be a market just for editing
manuscripts. If you like and are good at finding the grammatical
errors, you might want to think about adding that service to your
business plan.

Just my $.02.

---LMM (Little Missy's Mom)

Old July 11th 05, 12:25 AM
CatNipped

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:

One thing you might want to think about, however, is whether the extra

money
you get will offset the taxes you'll have to pay for self-employment

income
(we got hit hard this year because of just a little bit of extra income

got doing web sites).

Hugs,

CatNipped

I was looking at your portfolio the other night! Very Nice!

Nice Clients too!

Thank you! Need a web site?? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 12:43 AM
whitershadeofpale

CatNipped wrote:

Thank you! Need a web site?? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Looks like I can't scare up some money! lol

Heck, I'm in such bad shape, I just got finished putting all my
payables and recievables in one big box, and shook it up!