OT My turkey...

Old November 26th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default OT My turkey...

...was unarguably the ugliest thing I have ever in my life pulled out of an
oven.

We began with The Brine. Louie put together a witches' brew of chicken broth,
apple cider, honey, maple syrup, salt and ginger ale with spices, and after
letting the SOB soak overnight we found he was not only well-thawed but he
presented us with something disturbingly phallic-looking. This, I discovered,
was the neck, though we found it in a place I never expected to find a neck.
Although if the head were attached, it would have reminded me of the boss I
had before Daniel. We then stuffed him with pieces of cut-up onion, apple,
pear and herbs, plopped him into the pan and put enough water in there to
come an inch or so up the side, as my freind and long-time turkey chef Olive
instructed. Of course, Olive never soaked a bird in brine and no one ever
warned us that there would be an overflow of juice and turkey fat that would
start a fire in the oven.

And so, once the supply of baking soda was used up, the rest of the juice
drained into two half-gallon pitchers, and half our bath towel collection
ruined, we rearranged Old Tom for his final degradation. Lifting him from the
pan to stick some vegetables in to bake with him, Tom's skin just
disintegrated. Literally peeled right off his nude flesh, leaving us staring
at a bird with prison pallor. We couldn't even dress him up again because,
like cheap clothing on a final clearance rack, it just broke up into little
bits when it hit the hot juice. In an act of desperation we mixed up a paste
of butter and herbs and smeared it on Tom's poor bare breast, waited for the
vegetation to develop a sense of comletion in its life's work, and called the
Mutha-in-Law. When she stopped laughing, and Louie told her that the bird had
just dropped both a leg and a wing from the rest of its carcass, she told us
that he was not only done, he was TOO done. And then there was this little
paper bag that rolled out of his insides along with the fruits we stuffed him
with. What do you know...so THOSE are giblets! Roasted with Tom all along. It
was hard to tell he was ready for duty, however, because he looked as naked
as the day he was hatched. It was too late, though. I had a throng of hungry
buddies who were expecting to be given the bird; and the bird we gave them.
We wrapped the monstrosity in foil and hoped for the best.

Fortunately Dennis had the implements to carve him, and the good sense to do
it away from the eyes of our friends who might have looked over his shoulder
and said, "Good GOD!!! What the hell IS that thing?" When we picked Tom up
from the pan his butt was stuck to the metal and fell off. It looked honestly
like something that was found by the roadside and rolled through a recently-
cut lawn. But it was actually a good, flavorful turkey, though no cover-boy
for Gourmet Magazine, and didn't turn out dry at all. We had enough to send
everyone at the party leftovers in abundance; we were planning for twenty,
but only half that number turned out. Usually Dennis hosts a good thirty
people every month. The most important thing was that we had a bunch of happy
friends, none of whom ended up hospitalized.

To you good cooks here, I owe a debt of gratitude. (you especially, Matthew,
you'd make some lucky bride out there a great chef, I mean husband!) To my
boss Daniel, I plead: next year, get LITTLE turkeys!

Blessed be,
Baha

Old November 26th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:7bce8d39234e3@uwe...
[...]

ROTFLOL! I assume this was the first turkey you ever cooked?

I've never heard of putting water in the pan with a roasting turkey.

Thanks for the laughs. I'm glad it turned out okay.

Joy

Old November 26th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Joy wrote:

ROTFLOL! I assume this was the first turkey you ever cooked?

the very, very first. How DID you know? I suppose the stuck butt gave it away?

I've never heard of putting water in the pan with a roasting turkey.

I relied on my friend's many years of expertise. I'd had her turkeys. They
were always good, flavorful birds: the kind with nice brown skin from their
hours baking in the tanning booth. she swore up and down on putting a bit of
water in the pan. What I didn't know as that brining the bird increases the
juice output considerably: something Mutha-in-Law didn't enlighten me on
until AFTER we put the fire out. She will have much to answer for on
Judgement Day.

Thanks for the laughs. I'm glad it turned out okay.

And I am glad to have brought a smile to someone's face, having done my good
deed. I hope next year it comes out looking like a turkey and not an accident.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old November 26th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Matthew wrote:

Next year we will get you to deep fry one.

We'll et me a fryer and buld me a nice wood patio so I can set it on fire too!
:-)

fortunately, no cats were harmed in the making of that turkey.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old November 26th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I have Mathew filed away for future reference, if I cook for DH and he
leaves this plane I will need another cook, to warm me up... I mean warm
my... I mean fill my belly with warm food, yes that's what I meant, Lee

Old November 26th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

And I am glad to have brought a smile to someone's face, having done my good
deed. I hope next year it comes out looking like a turkey and not an accident.

Blessed be,
Baha

Take heart, your troubles have not been in vain. Since we traveled all the
way to WI for Thanksgiving we weren't able to bring large amounts of
left-over turkey home with us. I've come to REALLY depend on large amounts
of left-over turkey (I could live year round on nothing else - I love
turkey!).

Therefore, next weekend we're going to cook a turkey. I have never done
so on my own before. Having read of your experiences, I will do my very
best to watch out for those dangers. I'm sure I'll find plenty of other
embarrassing mistakes to make, but I now know of several to avoid.

Old November 26th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I have no problem creating recipes, its the actual mechanical preparation of
the thing that is just too much... I am not at all mechanical and anything
that takes those types of skills is beyond me, but I am a killer on making
recipes up in my head, I have the ability to taste ingredients as I consider
so I can get it right about 98 percent of the time... if I don't touch the
food... but thanks, you are a very nice gentleman, Lee
Matthew wrote in message

"Stormmee" wrote in message
I have Mathew filed away for future reference, if I cook for DH and he
leaves this plane I will need another cook, to warm me up... I mean warm
my... I mean fill my belly with warm food, yes that's what I meant, Lee

Behave yourself ;-) You will make an old man blush

Anytime you need any recipe I will email you my correct email. the one I
have here is not complete

Old November 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

gramby bought my DH a set of those, actually pretty cool, Lee
Matthew wrote in message
I am the same way. People see me add a dash here a dash there and they

tell
me how much I say a dash they tell me that was more than a dash. So I

got
tired of that and bought a novelty item it was measuring spoons named a
tidbit, a dash, a smudge and so one.

I always scare them when I say a teaspoon and grab the item and can

measure
it out without using the spoon

Old November 27th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chessfreak

This story is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I loved
it.
Lynn
[...]

OT turkey 911 Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 7 November 28th 07 06:29 AM
It Was TURKEY DAY!!!! Tanada Cat anecdotes 4 November 28th 06 10:32 PM
turkey bird!!!!! Stormmee Cat community 4 November 21st 06 06:12 AM
Turkey! Norm Cat anecdotes 1 July 27th 05 09:06 PM
OT can't see it replacing turkey dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 2 December 16th 03 12:45 AM