Hiding and Seeking

Old July 6th 04, 12:34 PM
O J

Default Hiding and Seeking

Hi All,

Some may remember that I've referred to my beloved Misty (RB).
She was a black, brown, and gray striped tabby, just the coloring to
hide in a home with the lights out and only the ambient light from
streetlights to light our living room.

I'm a midnight snacker and when I would make the trip from
bedroom to the kitchen, I'd hear kitty footsteps in the dark. The
thing was, that I have pretty good eyes and can catch the movement of
a cat from behind the couch to under a chair or from behind the
wastebasket by the computer desk to behind the long drapes that hung
in the living room.

In other words, I had her number and it was one of the few things
that didn't go exactly the way she wanted. Of course, just finding
the cat stops being fun rather quickly and so I would pretend that I
couldn't see her. If I knew she was behind the drapes, I would call
out for her and pantomime looking for her by the couch. Then I'd hear
the footsteps and see a gray shadow run from the drapes to under the
desk. I'd call out for her by the desk but of course she remained
silent. Then I'd look by the chair and hear the footsteps and see the
shadow as she ran from the desk to behind the couch.

One of her favorite ways to torment Lynda and me was to hide and
she was really good at it, but that silly cat never would believe that
I could really see her when eventually I went straight to her hiding
spot and skootched her. She just wouldn't believe that I found her by
anything other than pure dumb luck. Of course 'winning' wasn't the
point of the game.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old July 6th 04, 02:40 PM
Christine Burel

A lovely and loving reminiscence!

I used to play a game with my RB Frodo kitty. We'd both be on either side
of a corner of the wall and I'd slooowly peek around my part of the corner.
Frodo just lived for that moment. After a butt wiggle, he would jump
straight up at the wall at least to my shoulder height and "scare" me! I
would always react and he loved it; you could tell he felt so proud of
hiimself. ;o)
Christine

Old July 6th 04, 03:14 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:40:26 -0600, "Christine Burel"
yodeled:

A lovely and loving reminiscence!

I used to play a game with my RB Frodo kitty. We'd both be on either side
of a corner of the wall and I'd slooowly peek around my part of the corner.
Frodo just lived for that moment. After a butt wiggle, he would jump
straight up at the wall at least to my shoulder height and "scare" me! I
would always react and he loved it; you could tell he felt so proud of
hiimself. ;o)
Christine

A favorite game that I'm not sure why I do it-- I just must like the
adrenaline rush when Stinky shoots straight out at me. I posted
before about how I hide behind the chair back, and pop my head out at
him, and he will launch himself straight up at me. Don't think about
what might happen if he caught me.

Theresa

Old July 6th 04, 03:18 PM
Karen

How cute!! I think cats really like hide and seek. I don't do it often, but
sometimes I do. It's funny. "Whhhheeere's Sugar?"

Old July 6th 04, 08:11 PM
Mischief

Mischief will hide every now and then, but it's mainly to mess with
me. I put a bell on her for a reason, so I could "hear" her so I can
prevent her from getting into 'mischief'

I'm a single, young adult, yet I already am starting to feel like I
could be a mother. Cause every now and then it gets too quiet, I have
to find her to see if she's getting into anything. I get paranoid
like a mom when it's too quiet. "Mischief? Missy, where are you?"
I've done this and found her on top of the fridge. I was calling and
then went to the fridge to get some ice cubes. i'm looking in the
freezer when this head peeks down to investigate. Scared the crap out
of me.

Of course if I call her name enough, she eventually comes out; but she
MUST receive a scritch in exchange for leaving her chosen spot of the
day.

If she's curled up and I find her, she meows and rolls on her back for
a brief tummy rub.

Imp will hide under the bed sometime in the morning after getting his
morning scritches. I normally don't see him again until late in the
evening. He has to take his morning nap, then his noon nap, then his
mid-afternoon nap and then his evening nap until my roommate gets home
or I start cooking something he has to investigate.

Take care,

Kristi

Old July 6th 04, 10:44 PM
CatNipped

O J wrote in message . ..
Some may remember that I've referred to my beloved Misty (RB).

How cute. This made me think of a saying I saw on a headstone at
PetSmart when we were shopping for Percy's headstone... "If tears
could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven and bring you home again." That still makes me cry. :

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatMom to:
Bandit, (a.k.a. "Bitch Cat From Hell"), 14, DLH Tabby
Demi, (a.k.a. "Ghost Cat"), 5, DLH Pure White Beauty
Jessie, (a.k.a. "Jet Ski"), 4, DSH Tortoiseshell
Samantha / Sammy, (a.k.a. "Mini Me"), 2 ½ months, DLH Tabby

http://www.gcmensa.org/Cats.html (Jessie, Demi, Bandit)
http://www.gcmensa.org/Sammy/ (Sammy)
http://www.gcmensa.org/Sammy2/ (All my fur babies)