pain med for arthritis

Old September 22nd 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Jane[_2_]

Default pain med for arthritis

My neighbor's cat has arthritis. It's pretty bad, especially in the
morning. The vets around here charge a lot and she can't afford
it.

Is there a safe over the counter medication that she can give the
cat?
Old September 23rd 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^. .^=[_2_]

"Jane"
My neighbor's cat has arthritis. It's pretty bad, especially in the
morning. The vets around here charge a lot and she can't afford
it.

Is there a safe over the counter medication that she can give the
cat?

I'd call several vets and ask them what would be the best thing to do.
She might try putting warm cloths over the kitty for awhile.
And keep the kitty warm. The kitty could rest on a heating pad,
not turned up too high, of course..
Purrs for the poor kitty.
Kyla
--who also has arthritis

Old September 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mishi[_2_]

Mosey =^. .^= wrote:
"Jane"
My neighbor's cat has arthritis. It's pretty bad, especially in the
morning. The vets around here charge a lot and she can't afford
it.

Is there a safe over the counter medication that she can give the
cat?

I'd call several vets and ask them what would be the best thing to do.
She might try putting warm cloths over the kitty for awhile.
And keep the kitty warm. The kitty could rest on a heating pad,
not turned up too high, of course..
Purrs for the poor kitty.
Kyla
--who also has arthritis

I would start by giving her Cosequin, which is a brand name for
glucosamine chondroitin sulfate. This was recommended to me by my vet
for one of my cats, and it does help. It can be bought from Revival.com,
Drs. Foster and Smith, and a few other pet medication places. It can be
a bit pricey, so shop around to get the best price. There are other
homeopathic remedies that do work, and she may want to investigate
starting her on one of those.

Good luck to the kitty!
Mishi
Old September 23rd 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

Mishi wrote:

Mosey =^. .^= wrote:
"Jane"
[...]

Our human sez the plain Glucosamine Sulphate werked fur hisownself.
Da condroitin duzn't seem to do enny good as far as he can see, and
fur cats, who knows.

--
Peace,
Fred

Old September 24th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Jane[_2_]

On Sep 22, 4:58*pm, Jane wrote:
My neighbor's cat has arthritis. *It's pretty bad, especially in the
morning. * The vets around here charge a lot and she can't afford
it.

Is there a safe over the counter medication that she can give the
cat?

I know aspirin is out, but what about Ibuprofen or Tylenol? If either
is OK, how much?
Old September 24th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mishi[_2_]

Jane wrote:
On Sep 22, 4:58 pm, Jane wrote:
My neighbor's cat has arthritis. It's pretty bad, especially in the
morning. The vets around here charge a lot and she can't afford
it.

Is there a safe over the counter medication that she can give the
cat?

I know aspirin is out, but what about Ibuprofen or Tylenol? If either
is OK, how much?

NO! Don't give tylenol to a cat - it can kill. They aren't able to
process the chemicals, and it will lead to liver failure. Ibuprofen can
cause stomach ulcers and live and kidney failure.

From the
http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/Aspiri...henDangers.htm website:

Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Ibuprofen toxicity is due to an active
metabolite made by the liver from the drug. This metabolite causes
severe damage to liver cells and red blood cells. Dogs tend to have more
liver damage, whereas cat's red blood cells undergo a transformation of
their normal oxygen carrying hemoglobin to a non functional form called
methemoglobin. One Children's Tylenol tablet contains almost twice the
toxic level for a normal sized cat per kilogram of body weight, and the
adult size Tylenol has more than six times the toxic level!