Latest Update on Tortle

Old May 4th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Default Latest Update on Tortle

It's been about a month since Tortle was diagnosed with acute renal failure
and I am so pleased with her progress. She has gained almost a pound since
I brought her home from the hospital--from a little under 7 pounds to almost
8 pounds. She is on Cyproheptadine for her appetite and it's been great for
her. She had blood work done 4 or 5 days ago and her Creatinine is down to
2 (from over 11 at the highest point) and her BUN is in the high 30's (down
from over 100). Her phosphorus is normal now so she doesn't need phosphorus
binders (yeah!). I'm now giving her sub-cutaneous fluids every 3 days,
instead of daily, for which we are both grateful! She absolutely hates the
sub-Q fluids--she yowls and growls and struggles the entire time. It's
major trauma time. I was so spoiled with Molly who was a dream to work
with. We have another vet visit in a couple of weeks and I hope eventually
that we'll be able to discontinue the fluids.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Azodyl. It's a
probiotic that is supposed to help with azotemia. My vet (actually her
partner) put her on that shortly after I brought her home and I think it has
really helped with Tortle's blood values. The only drawback as far as I can
see is that it is a large capsule and is supposed to be administered in
capsule form (as opposed to sprinkling it over food). Tortle has been
amazingly easy to pill but I think it would be hard to give to many cats.

This whole experience has been pretty traumatic for Tortle (actually for all
of us). Tortle was so sick and then Molly had to be put to sleep and they
were such close buddies. And I'm either poking pills down her throat or
sticking her with a needle. She's more withdrawn than she was but I can't
say I blame her--she's been through a lot!

I'm just pleased to have her home and healthy--will be delighted when she
can be medication free!

Bonnie

Old May 4th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"22brix" wrote in message

Hi Bonnie,

It's been about a month since Tortle was diagnosed with acute renal

failure
and I am so pleased with her progress. She has gained almost a pound

since
I brought her home from the hospital--from a little under 7 pounds to

almost
8 pounds. She is on Cyproheptadine for her appetite and it's been great

for
her. She had blood work done 4 or 5 days ago and

her Creatinine is down to
2 (from over 11 at the highest point) and her BUN is in the high 30's

(down
from over 100).

That's fantastic! I'd bet the Azodyl had a lot to do with the dramatic
improvement.

Her phosphorus is normal now so she doesn't need phosphorus
binders (yeah!). I'm now giving her sub-cutaneous fluids every 3 days,
instead of daily, for which we are both grateful! She absolutely hates

the
sub-Q fluids--she yowls and growls and struggles the entire time. It's
major trauma time. I was so spoiled with Molly who was a dream to work
with. We have another vet visit in a couple of weeks and I hope

eventually
that we'll be able to discontinue the fluids.

You might want to speak to your vet sooner about discontinuing the sub-q's.
If her creatinine is only 2.0 mg/dl and her BUN is 40 mg/dl, she probably
doesn't need fluid therapy- unless she's dehydrated. Using fluids as a form
of dialysis is ok only on a short-term basis as in a uremic crisis because
it improves renal parameters quickly. But on a continuing basis, fluid
therapy can do more harm than good because it makes the kidneys work harder.
Once the uremic crisis has passed, fluids should only be given to correct or
prevent dehydration.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Azodyl. It's a
probiotic that is supposed to help with azotemia. My vet (actually her
partner) put her on that shortly after I brought her home and I think it

has
really helped with Tortle's blood values.

I've used Azodyl in a couple of ARF cats and a few CRF cats. The renal
parameters improved in all but one ARF cat- because I think we got to him
too late. I can't say with absolute certainty that Azodyl was soley
responsible for the improvement- but I'm pretty sure it helped.

The only drawback as far as I can
see is that it is a large capsule and is supposed to be administered in
capsule form (as opposed to sprinkling it over food).

That's because Azodyl is designed to work in the small intestine. The
capsule has an enteric coating to protect the live cells from being
inactivated by the low pH of the stomach before it reaches the small
intestine where the pH is higher. However, I spoke to a vet at Vetoquinol-
the manufacturer, who told me Azodyl can be mixed in the food if the cat is
absolutely impossible to pill. Although the benefits won't be as good-
they're still acceptable- providing the cat eats all the food.

Tortle has been
amazingly easy to pill but I think it would be hard to give to many cats.

Wow! She's a terrific cat! The capsule is about a #1- just a tad smaller
than a #0- IOW, a horse pill!

This whole experience has been pretty traumatic for Tortle (actually for

all
of us). Tortle was so sick and then Molly had to be put to sleep and they
were such close buddies. And I'm either poking pills down her throat or
sticking her with a needle. She's more withdrawn than she was but I can't
say I blame her--she's been through a lot!

Some people say cats know we're trying to help them when we give them
medications--- I kinda think they don't care either way and just don't like
us sticking our fingers in their mouths.

I'm just pleased to have her home and healthy--will be delighted when she
can be medication free!

I think that day will come soon!

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 4th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 05:24, "22brix" wrote:
[...]

Hi Bonnie, It is simply nice to hear you around again. I am absolutely
delighted that Tortle is doing so well. You went through a really
rough patch a while back there, & I really did feel for you, but there
wasn't very much that I could do for you, other than be there.

As I certain you must already be aware, I am not very knowledgeable
about the medical side of cats, but it does sound like Phil is pleased
with Tortle too, so I am taking this as a very good sign that you will
be off the meds in the not too distant future. what more could we ask
for? I'm more than pleased for you, this is the news that you
needed.....

My Lilac is just coming into blossom *Now*, & I can't but help of
thinking about our old Jasper. It used to be his favourite sunning
spot before he died last year, so that is where we buried him, so that
he could always watch the sun rise & also go down every day. My
sadness is still there, but I no longer weep as I pass it anymore.
It's good to know that his spirit runs free whilst we care for his
mortal remains....

Hearing wonderful news like this also raises another sheer grin of
pleasure.. the sort that won't wipe itself off of your face, even if
you try?!!I bet she is feeling 100% better to the way she was feeling
a while back too, & what more could we possibly ask for?
I have a very busy home today. All of our kittens have just come home
as well as their foster mother and her 2 kittens as well. Their
guardian has gone into hospital to have her kneecap replaced tomorrow,
so we have them all here for the next 14 days or so, by which time it
will nearly be time for their 1st injections..

My time seems to fly, doesn't it?

Best wishes to you Bonnie & to Tortle too of course!!

S;o)

Old May 4th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 4, 12:24 am, "22brix" wrote:
[...]

This is great news! I'm so happy for you and Tortle!

Lis

Old May 4th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"22brix" wrote in message
It's been about a month since Tortle was diagnosed with acute renal
failure and I am so pleased with her progress. She has gained almost a
pound since I brought her home from the hospital--from a little under 7
pounds to almost 8 pounds.

I'm so glad she is doing well.

Old May 4th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 4 May, 05:24, "22brix" wrote:

Hi Bonnie, It is simply nice to hear you around again. I am absolutely
delighted that Tortle is doing so well. You went through a really
rough patch a while back there, & I really did feel for you, but there
wasn't very much that I could do for you, other than be there.

You've through your share of rough patches, too! It was really hard to lose
Molly in the middle of Tortle's illness--it is nice to know there are people
out there who understand how we feel about our cats and how attached we get
to them.

As I certain you must already be aware, I am not very knowledgeable
about the medical side of cats, but it does sound like Phil is pleased
with Tortle too, so I am taking this as a very good sign that you will
be off the meds in the not too distant future. what more could we ask
for? I'm more than pleased for you, this is the news that you
needed.....

Tortle will be happy, too, when the only attention I give to her is good
attention! One of the worst things about this whole thing is how it's
affecting her personality. She still trusts me for the most part but seems
to know when we're about to give her fluids. She doesn't run away or hide
but tries to get smaller and hunches away from me and just looks pathetic.
After we give her the fluids (and it's a BIG struggle) she is withdrawn the
rest of the day. At least now it's only every third day but when we were
doing it daily she never seemed to emotionally recover from it. And it's
hard for her not to have Molly around--Molly was her comfort and that was
taken away from her.

My Lilac is just coming into blossom *Now*, & I can't but help of
thinking about our old Jasper. It used to be his favourite sunning
spot before he died last year, so that is where we buried him, so that
he could always watch the sun rise & also go down every day. My
sadness is still there, but I no longer weep as I pass it anymore.
It's good to know that his spirit runs free whilst we care for his
mortal remains....

I know--I still find myself in tears at weird times thinking about Molly. I
never saw her as a young cat and she was pretty sedate by the time I got
her. I like to envision her playing without pain from creaky old joints,
eating good, normal, nonpresciption food and enjoying it, sleeping curled in
the sunlight, healthy and happy.

Hearing wonderful news like this also raises another sheer grin of
pleasure.. the sort that won't wipe itself off of your face, even if
you try?!!I bet she is feeling 100% better to the way she was feeling
a while back too, & what more could we possibly ask for?
I have a very busy home today. All of our kittens have just come home
as well as their foster mother and her 2 kittens as well. Their
guardian has gone into hospital to have her kneecap replaced tomorrow,
so we have them all here for the next 14 days or so, by which time it
will nearly be time for their 1st injections..

Oh my--you are going to be busy (and crowded!) Sounds like fun!

My time seems to fly, doesn't it?

Best wishes to you Bonnie & to Tortle too of course!!

S;o)

Thanks!

Take care, Bonnie

Old May 4th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

It's been about a month since Tortle was diagnosed with acute renal

failure
and I am so pleased with her progress. She has gained almost a pound

since
I brought her home from the hospital--from a little under 7 pounds to

almost
8 pounds. She is on Cyproheptadine for her appetite and it's been great

for
her. She had blood work done 4 or 5 days ago and

her Creatinine is down to
2 (from over 11 at the highest point) and her BUN is in the high 30's

(down
from over 100).

That's fantastic! I'd bet the Azodyl had a lot to do with the dramatic
improvement.

Actually, her lab values dropped dramatically at the hospital but had
started creeping up again after I brought her home. I really do feel that
the Azodyl helped though. Do you know if this is something she could or
should be on indefinitely? She has only one functioning kidney (with stones
visualized on x-ray).

[...]

I think the vet wants to see how she's doing without as much fluids before
she takes her off completely. She doesn't seem dehydrated to me and she is
drinking. I bought a drinkwell fountain which she seems to really like.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Azodyl. It's a
probiotic that is supposed to help with azotemia. My vet (actually her
partner) put her on that shortly after I brought her home and I think it

has
really helped with Tortle's blood values.

I've used Azodyl in a couple of ARF cats and a few CRF cats. The renal
parameters improved in all but one ARF cat- because I think we got to him
too late. I can't say with absolute certainty that Azodyl was soley
responsible for the improvement- but I'm pretty sure it helped.

I feel the same way--not sure if it was the only reason her kidney values
improved but I think it made a difference.

[...]

She's funny--she just sort of melts when I pill her--she doesn't struggle,
just looks at me piteously, lets me drop the pills in and then swallows.
And she fights like heck when we give her fluids.

This whole experience has been pretty traumatic for Tortle (actually for

all
of us). Tortle was so sick and then Molly had to be put to sleep and
they
were such close buddies. And I'm either poking pills down her throat or
sticking her with a needle. She's more withdrawn than she was but I
can't
say I blame her--she's been through a lot!

Some people say cats know we're trying to help them when we give them
medications--- I kinda think they don't care either way and just don't
like
us sticking our fingers in their mouths.

LOL! Have to agree there!

I'm just pleased to have her home and healthy--will be delighted when she
can be medication free!

I think that day will come soon!

I hope so!!

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 5th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 16:36, "22brix" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 4 May, 05:24, "22brix" wrote:

[...]

I understand what you mean about random tears. I can say that I never
cry, because I do. Time is a true healer though, & also the best one.
As time passes, you begin to remember the good times far more than the
bad ones..believe me....

Indeed, we are full to the brim.. I can't say it is awful though. It's
great fun actually;o)
The kittens have just reached that brilliant stage where they are
everywhere & into everything. I thought I was ready for them
yesterday, but it didn't take me long to realise that I was no where
near prepared, lol...
The trouble started when we could only find 2 of the kittens...

MASS PANIC MODE

Ross had left the bottom of his divan base slightly open, so the
kittens jumped into his sleeping bag & and underwear draw for a nice
pleasant snooze in there. Mummy, (Tahnee was in the wardrobe rubbing
her face all over his sneakers- we call this portable scent emitters,
LOL) , & the rest of the girls downstairs "Know" someone new is around
& spend most of the day congregating @ the living room door, just
waiting for the unprepared idiot who opens it wide enough to let them
through so that they can investigate personally..so far I am winning &
hope that it stays that way.
today, to avoid that problem, I have put Tahnee and all of the kittens
into one of the Penn's so that they have privacy, fresh air & loads of
fun pouncing on each other. I must say that Tahnee is very sedate
about it all, even when they are nibbeling her ears!!
Life is good right now , & I know it. I love it when life is trouble
free..
S;o)

The latest fad wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 November 30th 05 01:42 AM
B & C - Latest! Bev Cat anecdotes 8 October 9th 04 06:25 PM
Latest news on "the eye" Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 241 October 8th 04 06:43 AM
Latest on Brandy Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 248 August 28th 04 08:07 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM