Special action taken by my yardman

Old February 4th 11, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Special action taken by my yardman

This deals with d*gs, but it could relate just as easily to cats.

The same man has done yard work and handyman work for me for *30 years.* He
is completely honest, reliable, and punctual. I think that may be some kind
of record, and I feel very lucky to have him. When I am on vacation, I can
count on him to mow the lawn if it needs it or leave it alone if it doesn't
need it. When conditions have been windy, he drives by to make sure I don't
have any limbs down that need to be taken care of. He will never charge for
work he doesn't do, and he takes great pride in doing his work well.

Now, for the dogs: He told me yesterday that he noticed that his neighbor
left his dogs tied outside without any shelter. It has been extremely cold
for this area (below freezing), and it also rained yesterday. So, the dogs
were wet *and* standing out in freezing temperatures. He knocked on his
neighbor's door and told him that he needed to take the dogs inside. His
neighbor sort of "shrugged," so Jimmy told him that he was going to take the
dogs himself and report him to authorities if he did not take care of them.
At that, the man took them in the house, and Jimmy has been keeping a close
eye on the place to make sure they stay indoors. Kudos to Jimmy for his
care and lots of fresh kitty litter droppings for his neighbor.

MaryL

Old February 4th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Loving purrs sent for your caretaker -- he sounds like a topnotch
gentleman. I hope the neighbor learns something from him.

Who took care of Duffy and Holly while you were gone? MLB
Old February 4th 11, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
[...]

I have had the same pet sitter ever since I adopted Duffy (8 years ago--hard
to believe). I always call her and have her put me on her schedule *far* in
advance of when I am going to leave. She is fantastic. She comes twice a
day to feed Holly and Duffy, scoops the litter box, brings in mail and
papers, just generally makes the house looks lived in. Most important, she
spends "quality time" with my furry twosome and does not just run in and
then leave. She brushes them, plays with them, etc. She does a lot of pet
sitting, and she is extremely good with animals.

MaryL

Old February 4th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..
[...]

Kudos for Jimmy! He's a good man, I'd keep him around another 30 years
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so clueless when it comes
to pets.

I'm reminded of a time when I lived in Virginia... I must have been about 8
years old. A friend of mine (also named Mary) got a Beagle pup. It snows
in Virginia and it did that year. Her big brother built him a dog house and
installed a heater (actually a high wattage light bulb encased in a mesh
cage) so the dog would be warm and toasty. How sweet is that?

Jill

Old February 4th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Aww, that's special.

I was visiting my parents in Ohio many years ago. I was in graduate school
at the time and had my cat (my very first cat with me). It was Christmas
vacation, and it had snowed overnight. I wanted Raucher to see what snow
was like, so I opened the door and set him outside "for just a minute." To
my horror--and then to my amusement when I realized he was alright--he
dropped completely out of sight. There was so much snow, combined with
drifting, that my cat disappeared from view. Of course, I immediately
scooped him up and he didn't even seem annoyed.

MaryL

Old February 4th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

----

I too have an awesome maintenance man. Being single and living in a house
can be VERY hard if there's not a handy man somewhere near by. Just
yesterday I called Marty and asked if he would knock the icicles down for
me. (They were really bad... and big). I got up to get another soda
yesterday afternoon and the icicles were gone already. He's wonderful...
just like yours. And yes, kudos to him for caring for the d*gs that weren't
even his. There are *a lot* of idiots that don't seem to get how bad this
winter is... and how dangerous it is for outdoor pets. We had some assh*le
tie a pittbull to a table outside and left it overnight. It was below zero
that night. Luckily, the neighbor heard it crying and called the police.
The guy was charged with several things. And he doesn't get the d*g back
either!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

MaryL

Old February 4th 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
[...]

I remember you writing about her previously. It is great that you have
such a trusted friend for your furkids. Best wishes. MLB
Old February 5th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

[...]

What is the point of having pets if you're not going to spend time
with them? I really don't understand people who adopt a cat or dog
and then just ignore them. If I were home with my dogs, I wouldn't
just stick them out in the back yard for hours, in any weather.

Jimmy is a real gem! Does he live in your neighborhood?

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old February 6th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

[...]

No, he does not live in this neighborhood. He has a lawn care (*not* a
nursery) business and takes care of lawns--mowing, pruning, blows leaves off
roofs, cleans gutters, etc.--all around town. I hold the "record" as the
client he has had for the longest.

MaryL