New pics soon - I promise...

Old July 2nd 04, 05:08 PM
RobZip

Default New pics soon - I promise...

Things are getting pretty busy around here. We're contemplating a move to
Indianapolis soon and I've been over there doing the advance details for a
few days. I interviewed yesterday for a transport driver's job for Ganassi
Racing handling the duties for one of their Indy Racing League teams. It
looks pretty promising at this point as do a number of other job
possibilities there. A few of them are in the ' let us know when you get
here and are ready' stage. The babies will be weaned by the time we are
ready to go.

Sammy's kids are all doing well. The little black female seems to be the
best socialized at this point with her constant companion a close second.
These two are the first to emerge from under the dresser when I enter the
room. There are two others that usually come close behind. The fifth baby is
quite sweet natured as well but needs a bit of prompting to join the
festivities.

The sixth one is a bit leery of me and for good reason. Somewhere in the
course of being tangled in a pile of kittens he got raked along the lower
left eyelid - a hazard of community sleeping arrangements when your
littermates stick their feet in your face without much regard for you. The
inflammation required an antibiotic eye drop for a few days. This was
usually met with much squealing, wailing, and lamentations followed by a
quick scurry back under the dresser. The eye healed up nicely and all is
well but the slight bit of distrust remains. If I bring this one out he
quickly becomes as sociable as the others.

The kittens range of exploration is expanding all the time. They have
experimented with lapping diluted milk from a flat saucer. When they are
ready I'm sure the transition to weaning and eating on their own will go
well.

The one baby we call Dot has developed a strong curiosity about Aunt Cassie.
Cassie isn't always in the most receptive mood to be aggravated by kittens.
Dot will usually walk to the doorway and look down the hall to see if Cassie
is around. If Cassie is sleeping in the hall. Dot will make a charge in her
direction and attempt to crawl up on top of her. If she manages this without
waking Cassie, she settles in on top of Cassie's ample girth and begins
kneading until Cassie does wake up. This results in Dot being dumped to the
floor and Cassie scurries off with a 'don't bother me kid' hiss.

Sammy meanwhile tends the ever growing babies. She's been surprisingly good
for a first time mother. But she is starting to experience the changes in
her brood. It used to be that when done feeding the kittens would drop off
the nipples one at a time and sleep. Now they find interesting diversions
like chewing on mom's ears, chasing after her tail, etc to occupy
themselves. Sammy tends her babies well but has started seeking out more
time and space away from them when they have been taken care of.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics this weekend. Life has a way of
making me busier than I'd like to be sometimes...

Old July 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
Camilla Cracchiolo

I'm so happy about your kittens.

I remember when a cat of mine had kittens. She kept them in a box I
gave her for the first couple of weeks. Then they figured out how to
climb over. She was so upset by this...she kept picking them up and
putting them back in the box. Like: everything has a place and
kittens belong *here*! She was a real good mom, tho.

Registered Nurse
Los Angeles, California

webpage temporarily down