I just toilet trained my new kitten

Old January 25th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default I just toilet trained my new kitten

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:20:02 +0100, Cat Herder
wrote:

The dust I agree with you, I found a litter that they like, clumps well
and doesn't have much dust if any, I clean it carefully daily and change
it every week to a washed one with new litter, what can sometimes be a
pain but it builds my character and its nice to have that chore, they
give me so much, it's the least I can do.

Yes, it is the litter that they clean off their paws and inhale that
could be a problem for the health of the cat. If you have not tried
Feline Pine I would highly recommend it. It smells great and lasts a
very long time. No need to scoop out urine, only solid wastes as the
urine turns to sawdust.

I'm no in the US, but I do use a litter that is made from wood
byproducts, mine does clump the urine and just starts turning into
sawdust when it is becoming saturated, right on time for the new one..

Sounds very similar to feline pine. I was amazed at how the pellets
are converted to sawdust with absolutely no urine odor. I would
definitely go with a similar product if I was using litter on a
continuous basis.

Like you see it's not
everybody's cup of tea, but it's not worth fighting over it on Usenet,
those posts are archived forever and the "you trolled" "did not" "did
too's" just clutters a very nice (the best) searchable database of
everything related to cats health and behavior, you can even find how to
toilet train a cat there.. ; )

I agree. My initial post was not at all inflammatory and simply
described in detail why I decided to toilet train and how I went about
it. I also made myself available to answer any questions someone might
have. Many of the responses to my post have been inflammatory,
provocative and troll-like. But as I said before I realize that often
certain usenet regulars are just juvenile individuals who have
difficulty communicating in a mature manner.

Yeah, Usenet regulars can be quite territorial, I can just imagine
people ****ing all over their monitor.

Yeah, I guess some people are not toilet trained either:-)

I mean, some posters where out of line, but after your 2nd or 3rd post
you started to sound like we are all mean and hate our cats for not
toilet training them as if it was the only way to go, this is what may
have tickled people off, it did got me writing to you in the first place
and I hope everybody can see I mean well..

It certainly was not my intention to do that but I was simply
responding to inappropriate posts by several members here. The only
thing in my original post that may have stirred someone up was my
comment about how I wanted to avoid the tracking of feces and litter,
and the possible health concerns to the cats. If someone was feeling
unsure about their decision to use litter that might cause them to
feel defensive. AFter all if you feel comfortable with your decision
to use litter, you would not get upset if someone talked about toilet
training and why they were doing it.

In going back to old posts (I am new to this group) I see that they
have a pattern of being argumentative. I will not name names since it
is likely they will respond to this post anyway with their typical
inflammatory nature. But it is characteristic of usenet groups to have
several regulars who become very territorial and get threatened by new
posters who they see as intruding into their territory. When it
becomes obvious what their modus operandi is I generally just ignore
their posts.

I would like to try it with a kitty someday, as long as kitty is having
fun because the choice is always his.

Of course. If you want to try it, the earlier the better. How old is
your kitty? I think the reason that it went so smoothly is that I
started the toilet training right after she was weaned from her
mother. She only used litter for very short period of time and the
litter gradually reduced over that time. It is called the disappearing
litter method.

The key is to go very slowly, spend a lot of time with the kitty and
give him much praise and reward for good behavior.

Both my cats just had their 5th birthday, they are pretty much happy
about the "I do what they want when they want" arrangement we got going
here, not sure they would bother with the reward system now, I'm also Ok
with it as long as they put up with all the new places I had to move to
over the last 5 years.

Cool. Good luck to you. And may your cats live long healthy and happy
lives.

RC

You are certainly welcome to participate as you have.

Old January 25th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm not in the US, but I do use a litter that is made from wood
byproducts, mine does clump the urine and just starts turning into
sawdust when it is becoming saturated, right on time for the new one..

Sounds very similar to feline pine. I was amazed at how the pellets
are converted to sawdust with absolutely no urine odor. I would
definitely go with a similar product if I was using litter on a
continuous basis.

One litter I've heard about that sounded really interesting was Purina
Yesterday's News, I would love try that. Plus its made from recycled
newspaper, what better use for it than that?

A second advantage I see in those litters is that they are much lighter
than "mineral" litters.

I also don't get Silica litters.. It's so strange, I've never tried it
and don't think it would work so well, not to mention every time you get
a silica bag with something it says *Do not Eat* on them..

In going back to old posts (I am new to this group) I see that they
have a pattern of being argumentative. I will not name names since it
is likely they will respond to this post anyway with their typical
inflammatory nature. But it is characteristic of usenet groups to have
several regulars who become very territorial and get threatened by new
posters who they see as intruding into their territory. When it
becomes obvious what their modus operandi is I generally just ignore
their posts.

Usenet 101, it's actually quite like Life 101..

I'm planning on properly introducing my cats to the group as soon as I
upload some pictures..

Cool. Good luck to you. And may your cats live long healthy and happy
lives.

RC

Thanks, same to you.

--