Kitten Shiver/Tremors while falling asleep

Old December 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

Default Kitten Shiver/Tremors while falling asleep

My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
shivering.

He had his second booster vaccination last week, could this be a side
effect? He does not have this symptom when he is awake and appears to
be in good health (good appetite, plays well, purrs, drinks plenty of
water, and has no other noticeable behavioural change since the
shivering began).

Does anyone have any ideas why he's shivering? Could it be just a
natural phase of sleep or something more serious?

Help!

Old December 8th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"beachgirl" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
shivering.

The only experience I have had with this is when one of my cat's
kittens shivered all over when she was tiny. She would be just
sitting there, and suddenly tremble all over. She was the runt of
the litter but she grew out of it and lived to be 18 or so.

Old December 8th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

They usually shiver like that when they have a fever. I would have the
vet check him just in case. Shortly after I adopted my cat from the
shelter he was trembling every once in a while. When he went into the
vet to be checked, he had a fever.

cybercat wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 12th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

So I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with
him. He doesn't have a fever, and is behaving in a healthy manner
(eating, playing, gaining weight, etc). But he's still
shivering/tremoring when he closes his eyes for a sleep...

The vet thinks it might be a reaction to the booster shot or just his
nervous system developing.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Old December 14th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

My guy will do this in his sleep. I always thought he was having a
good mouse chasing dream.

Old January 29th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

I think I finally figured out why he was shivering!!! The same week
that he started shivering is when he got his booster shot and I also
changed his food. He was previously eating the Royal Canin Kitten
formula but I changed him to the Wellness Kitten Super5 mix as it is a
better quality food. Well, I had a brainwave and thought maybe
there's something in the Wellness food that he's allergic to and is
causing the shiver. I therefore switched him back to the Royal Canin
to test out my theory....

It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.

Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.

Old January 29th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"beachgirl" wrote
It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.

Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.

Very smart of you! I'm so glad the baby is doing better. Nobody
really understands how allergies work, in my opinion.

Old January 29th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

A mother's instinct is usually more precise than medicine. OR at least that
is what my mom told me ;-)

ups.com...

Old January 29th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:33:11 GMT, "beachgirl" wrote:

Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.

That's interesting. Did you compare the ingredient list side by side? I'd
be very curious to see what the Wellness has that the Royal Canin does not.
Of course it could be a combination of foods or a dye or even a pesticide
residue. Allergies are very tricky and different individuals have
different responses to them. Those responses can also change over time, so
it's not an exact science at all.

Even if it was purely coincidental, I think switching his food back was a
very smart move. I'm glad the shivering has stopped!

--
Lynne
Old January 29th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:54:42 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

A mother's instinct is usually more precise than medicine. OR at
least that is what my mom told me ;-)

My son's cardiologists would agree with your mother!

--
Lynne

4 days with my kitten.. please help :) [email protected] Cats - misc 12 January 18th 05 05:39 AM
4 days with the kitten... please help me :) [email protected] Cats - misc 4 January 16th 05 03:50 AM
kitten falling ken Cats - misc 4 January 9th 05 02:15 AM
Kitten, Fleas, Ear Mites....or both!?! Gary Cat health & behaviour 20 October 29th 04 09:46 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM