Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Old January 3rd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Lynne wrote:
on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:25:50 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

I didn't read it that way.

Neither did I.

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

BING!

quote taken from the first posting by jill:

"He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him"

how does this NOT imply that he was declawed after she got hold of him?
I know you yanks voted bush in again and all that but you can't
possibly be that stupid not to see this glaring error

Old January 3rd 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

bookie wrote:

like i said to you personally, your message implied that he had been
declawed whilst in your care and therefore it would appear to myself,
and many others reading, that you had been responsible for this
declawing, so what the hell do you expect me to say?

I didn't think it implied for certain that the cat was declawed in her
care. It was ambiguous to me. I would have asked her first.

Rhonda

Old January 3rd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

bookie wrote:

quote taken from the first posting by jill:

"He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him"

how does this NOT imply that he was declawed after she got hold of him?
I know you yanks voted bush in again and all that but you can't
possibly be that stupid not to see this glaring error

Wow, you really are prejudice against "yanks," aren't you? I don't see
comments like that too often.

Rhonda

Old January 3rd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Jill,

I think it's not about the door at all -- it's about getting your
attention. The first time he was trying to tell you about the food and
water and he saw that waking you up resulted into a positive cat
experience (food!). Now it's more or less a habit and he's going to try
for your attention.

That's my take on it, anyway.

If that is the case, the only way I know to stop it is to ignore him. I
know that will be tough, but maybe the earplug idea someone mentioned
would work.

The other thing you might do is get him a playmate and let them tear
around the house together at 4am like any self-respecting cat. He may
forget trying to get your attention, but you may be awakened by thunder
paws through the house.

Rhonda

Jill wrote:
Over the last 4 days, he's taken on a bad and very frustrating/annoying
behavior. Every late night/early morning (I'm talking about 3 or 4
am), he starts pawing on the closet door until he wakes me up then he
runs and hides. If he had claws it would be like he's sharpening his
claws in turbo mode.

The first time, he ran out into the kitchen where his bowl was and I
saw he was low on food and water so I topped his bowl off, thinking
that was his way of saying I'm hungry, then laid back down. About 20
mins later, he started it again. I sat up, he ran and hid. This will
continue until I'm up for the day; every 10 to 15 mins he's pawing a
door to wake me back up.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:41:03 GMT, Rhonda wrote:

I would have asked her first.

But you are a reasonable person...

--
Lynne

Old January 3rd 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"bookie" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

I didn't read it that way.

Neither did I.

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

BING!

quote taken from the first posting by jill:

"He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him"

how does this NOT imply that he was declawed after she got hold of him?
I know you yanks voted bush in again and all that but you can't
possibly be that stupid not to see this glaring error

Don't be stupid and turns this political. Just say I was wrong and move on.
If it is going to be that hard for you to do. I can see the flames now

Old January 3rd 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jill

bookie wrote:

read her post again, if you had the even the most basic grasp of
english and it's intricacies then you would realise that she WAS
implying that she had had the cat declawed whilst in her care.

Bookie, I do have "even the most basic grasp of english". English is
my first language and I graduated at the top of my class with
honors....Anyway, yes, I can see where you could come to the conclusion
that I personally had my cat declawed, but my comment could have gone
either way. It would have been polite to ask (as someone else did) why
I would declaw my cat and then if I said "I did it because of blah,
blah, blah reasons", voice your opinion. You have the right to be
passionate about not having cats declawed and others may feel
differently. Wishing me harm, wishing for my cat to urinate all over
my house, and your other comments were very inappropriate and I took
offense to them; whether you felt I wasn't clear or not with my
statement, it is no excuse to say horrible things to someone who is new
to this group and was looking for advice from fellow cat lovers.

First, if you look when I posted, it was just after 6 am. This is
after having about three hours sleep as my cat had started at 3am with
pawing the doors and about 5 hours sleep the day before that and I
could go back even farther with how little sleep I have gotten!
Personally, most people don't really function well on that little of
sleep. After reading your extremely rude post and the question from
the other person about why and when I had him declawed, I realized that
I wasn't very clear and that is why I posted my follow up. Obviously,
other people have taken my post as I intended it. If I had him
declawed and neutered personally, I would have said, "Since I owned him
I have had him declawed and neutered".

Now, whether I PERSONALLY had the cat declawed or not, was not the
point of my post. I had a legitimate question. Even so, I live in an
apartment complex and I chose this cat because of two reasons:

1) He was a stray and because THE HUMANE SOCIETY found him as already
being neutered and declawed, he was probably abandoned by his previous
owner.

2) If I want a cat, while living here, I am required to own one that is
spayed/neutered and declawed and am required to provide documentation
from the Humane Society or a Vet on top of paying a very hefty deposit
for having a cat. This is normal for most complexes here. I don't know
about where you live.

I am a cat lover who has grown up around cats (my mother always had
cats) and I personally had owned a previous cat for 17 years. I had to
put to him sleep due to suffering in his old age as he couldn't get up
without being in pain and had no control of his bowels/bladder and
before you jump me for putting the cat to sleep, the vet who had
treated him since he was a kitten, had said that it was for the best as
my cat was in pain and was suffering....This was heartbreaking for me!

I really missed and wanted another cat, but my trip to the Humane
Society was to help my brother pick out a dog for his house and I just
was looking at the cats while my brother was waiting for one of the
dogs to be brought to the "Meet & Greet" room; not planning on getting
one....

Since this cat was already declawed and already neutered and was half
price as the humane society had an extremely large number of cats, I
felt for this cat, wanted to give him a loving home and so he was
perfect for my situation.

I don't personally agree with declawing and could care less about my
furniture. Even if he still had his claws, he's never bothered any of
my furniture...At least he doesn't paw at it...My cat knows he's well
loved and he is well treated, even if he can be a pain in the rear at
times.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jill

Believe me, I'm a very heavy sleeper and it wakes me up. I have to
have four alarms (2 on my cell phone and I also have a dual setting
alarm clock) to make sure I get up on time in the morning (I know
ridiculous). I wouldn't think it would be noisy either.
Unfortunately, these are apartment complex "as cheap as we can get them
so we have more funds to build more apartments", crappy, hollow doors.
Not only does the door rattle when he's pawing at it, it seems the
hollow doors amply the noise...The noise is not as loud when its the
entry way door, but when its one of the closets or my bedroom
door...Well, its something you'd actually have to hear to believe...Its
like someone is holding a megaphone up to another person using
sandpaper. I'm not worried about damage to the doors at all .
Thanks all for your advice....

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.....

Cheryl wrote:
On Tue 02 Jan 2007 08:22:01p, cardarch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to
open then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep
some earplugs next to your bed and insert them into your ear
canals when ever he makes this little racket.

Thank you. You have the best point of all! How noisy can it be to
have a declawed cat pawing at a door? I've never had a declawed cat,
so it didn't occur to me that it can't be at all noisy. My gang is
noisy at everything they do, so nothing fazes me any more.

--
Cheryl

Old January 3rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jill

ARGH, I'm glad I got a brief nap in and don't have to be up in the
morning, but I'm finding all sorts of errors after reading my own
post....Lets correct these before I get a comment about understanding
the english language.

Jill wrote:
whether you felt I wasn't clear or not with my
statement, it is no excuse to say horrible things to someone who is new
to this group and was looking for advice from fellow cat lovers.

This should be: "Whether you felt I was or was not clear with my
statement"....

If I had him declawed and neutered personally, I would have said, "Since I owned him
I have had him declawed and neutered".

This should be "Since I have owned him, I have had him........."

I really missed and wanted another cat, but my trip to the Humane
Society was to help my brother pick out a dog for his house and I just
was looking at the cats while my brother was waiting for one of the
dogs to be brought to the "Meet & Greet" room; not planning on getting
one....

This should be "I really missed my cat and wanted another cat"......

Old January 3rd 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Psychologist

Jill wrote:
Believe me, I'm a very heavy

that's ok, alot of people are

have you tried doing a mind job on the cat yet?

crawl around on your hands and knees and bark like a dog

keep barking till the cat goes away