Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Old January 3rd 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
nay

Default Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

ha ha ah ha ha ha ha, effing hell?! cat fight?! grreeoouuwww !!!!!
hisssss !!!

lets just agree that we all love our cats and that we will never do
anything to harm them (not knowingly anyway) be nice to each other
kitty catties....think of tuna and sunshine. purrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Nay

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On 2 Jan 2007 15:05:18 -0800, "bookie"
wrote:

Jill wrote:
Bookie, he was already declawed when I got him from the humane society.
I asked for help, not a nasty response about declawing....So RUDE!

like i said to you personally, your message implied that he had been
declawed whilst in your care

I didn't read it that way.

and therefore it would appear to myself,
and many others reading, that you had been responsible for this
declawing, so what the hell do you expect me to say? be clearer in your
posting in future especially when referring to declawing or you will
get a sharp response from myself and a fair few other people on the
matter (am I the only person here who can actually read English?)

I am not apologising for someone else's inability to communicate
correctly

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

Charlie

Old January 3rd 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Jill,

Get yourself a laser pointer and see if he will chase it around. I used to
have problems with Spot keeping me up at night playing and I found the
solution was to tire her out so she was ready to sleep. For months about 20
minutes before I was ready for bed I would dart it all around the room and
she'd go nuts chasing after it. To really play her out I would run it up
and down the stair way and about a dozen times. My other two cats could
care less and didn't mess with it but she loved it. I still get it out once
in a while and play with her.

Good Luck
Celeste

"Jill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Believe me, I'm a very heavy sleeper and it wakes me up. I have to
have four alarms (2 on my cell phone and I also have a dual setting
alarm clock) to make sure I get up on time in the morning (I know
ridiculous). I wouldn't think it would be noisy either.
Unfortunately, these are apartment complex "as cheap as we can get them
so we have more funds to build more apartments", crappy, hollow doors.
Not only does the door rattle when he's pawing at it, it seems the
hollow doors amply the noise...The noise is not as loud when its the
entry way door, but when its one of the closets or my bedroom
door...Well, its something you'd actually have to hear to believe...Its
like someone is holding a megaphone up to another person using
sandpaper. I'm not worried about damage to the doors at all .
Thanks all for your advice....

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.....

Cheryl wrote:
On Tue 02 Jan 2007 08:22:01p, cardarch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to
open then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep
some earplugs next to your bed and insert them into your ear
canals when ever he makes this little racket.

Thank you. You have the best point of all! How noisy can it be to
have a declawed cat pawing at a door? I've never had a declawed cat,
so it didn't occur to me that it can't be at all noisy. My gang is
noisy at everything they do, so nothing fazes me any more.

--
Cheryl

Old January 4th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Lynne wrote:
on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:41:03 GMT, Rhonda wrote:

I would have asked her first.

But you are a reasonable person...

Thanks -- your check is in the mail...

Rhonda

Old January 4th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jenniek

Jill wrote:
1) He was a stray and because THE HUMANE SOCIETY found him as already
being neutered and declawed, he was probably abandoned by his previous
owner.

I have a cat that was given to me by one of the owners two years ago.
When the woman gave me the cat, she told me that one of the reasons
that she was letting him go was because her husband "didn't get along
with the cat". She was also nice enough to give me the name of
Chinook's vet, whom I contacted immediately and discovered that "didn't
get along" was just another way of saying that he was abusing the hell
out of this poor thing.

Nook does the same thing that your cat does, Jill. Every morning, at
between 3-4am, he goes through my apartment and scratches at all the
closed doors (he is not declawed). At first, I thought that he did this
just to drive me crazy. Once I have gotten up and opened the door that
he's attacking, he leaves it alone and goes to the next one. As well,
the few times that I have had to close him up in a room (i.e. when I
was moving and trying to keep him out of the way from the movers) he
freaked out, crying and scratching everything, and it was days before
he calmed down again.

After speaking to the vet about it, she and I have started to wonder if
perhaps Nook spent a lot of time locked up at night when he was in the
care of his previous owners. She has determined that Nook has an
almost-phobia about closed doors, because he has spent time on the
other side of them, and that he needs all doors to be open. Luckily for
me, I live in a small one-bedroom apartment, so there aren't that many
doors to begin with. Every night, though, I go through my place and
make sure that all the closet doors are cracked open just a little. He
is quite happy to know that he can get in them if he wants, and I get
to sleep through the night. I just thought I would throw this out there
as a possible reason for why your cat is behaving this way.

Old January 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Psychologist

Rhonda wrote:

Thanks -- your check is in the mail...

Rhonda

me tooo! I want some money

I think you're Very responsible

this is michael jackson
( o
: = )
( o

notice the two air holes where you would normally see a nose

Old January 4th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Cat Psychologist wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

Thanks -- your check is in the mail...

Rhonda

me tooo! I want some money

I think you're Very responsible

this is michael jackson
( o
: = )
( o

notice the two air holes where you would normally see a nose

That's scary -- but I recognized him in your artwork immediately.

Rhonda

Old January 5th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Psychologist

Matthew wrote:
Bookie DID YOU BOTHER TO ASK IF THEY DECLAWED HIM? You jumped the gun

I have done shelter and rescue work just like a lot of us out here have. Do
know how many furballs are brought in declawed. The shelter adopted them
out just like the other rescues.

Yes declawing is a sick process and totally barbaric unless medical
necessary but you can't believe how many people don't know what is involved
in it. IMO it should be outlawed everywhere but you can assume everyone
that has a declawed cat DID it to the cat.

it wasn't till the past 80 years that women began to get the respect
they deserved

you know the virginia slims motto, "you've come a long way baby"
(some cute blonde smoking a cigarette)...

now women are educators, senators, doctors and things

us guys think we are slick, we're like kids

Old January 5th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

now women are educators, senators, doctors and things

I think that women have been educators and doctors of sorts for a long
time, comes with the territory of being a mother doesn't it? they also
have to be cooks, politicians, nurses, chauffeurs, counsellors,
personal trainers, cleaners, seamstresses, project managers,
accountants, strategy consultants, waste disposal experts, diplomats,
etc etc I could go on, but it is just that they have never been
recognised or properly paid for all the jobs that your average
mother/woman has to do to get by with kids in tow.

and now on top that we are expected to hold down full time jobs too,
and this is supposed to show that we are free? mmmm.... not so sure

Old January 5th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Psychologist

bookie wrote:

and now on top that we are expected to hold down full time jobs too

well lets get with it, make that money
money is freedom

Like Charlio said, do something else...

can you hook?

Old January 5th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"Jill" wrote in message
oups.com...
ARGH, I'm glad I got a brief nap in and don't have to be up in the
morning, but I'm finding all sorts of errors after reading my own
post....Lets correct these before I get a comment about understanding
the english language.

No, Jill, please don't feel you have to. Flaming typos and grammatical
errors on UseNet is the epitome of uncouth - the lamest of the lame resort
to that (like when someone has accused someone else of something they didn't
do and then they resort to "well it was your fault for not writing
grammatically" instead of just apologizing).

Typos happen, and most civilized people realize this and accept that nobody
is perfect. I'm sorry you're feeling defensive about your posts - you
shouldn't have to, this is an informal group *supposedly* created to offer
advice and support about cats' health and behavior.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill wrote:
whether you felt I wasn't clear or not with my
statement, it is no excuse to say horrible things to someone who is new
to this group and was looking for advice from fellow cat lovers.

This should be: "Whether you felt I was or was not clear with my
statement"....

If I had him declawed and neutered personally, I would have said, "Since I
owned him
I have had him declawed and neutered".

This should be "Since I have owned him, I have had him........."

I really missed and wanted another cat, but my trip to the Humane
Society was to help my brother pick out a dog for his house and I just
was looking at the cats while my brother was waiting for one of the
dogs to be brought to the "Meet & Greet" room; not planning on getting
one....

This should be "I really missed my cat and wanted another cat"......