my cat in the cold

Old February 13th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

Default my cat in the cold

Hello to everyone in this group. I have 3 cats and they are not only
outdoors cats but indoors cats as well. My eldest cat (Velvet, soon to be a
5-years old) likes to be outdoors, even in winter. I live on a farm.

The other day I was up before sunrise and I saw Velvet on the porch of a
building nearby. I picked her up and could feel her body shuddering to the
cold weather. She wasn't acting as though she was cold but I could tell by
her shuddering she was really very cold.

I took her back into my residence and placed the heater so she could lay on
my lap and get some heat from the electric heater. She was soon comfortably
warm and the shuddering had stopped. This happened in the next 2 mornings as
well and each time I brought her in so she could be warmed by the heater.
She seems content with this arraingement but now I haven't seen her for 3
days although my neighbors claim they have seen her every day.

I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as they
please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors. She is welcome
whenever she comes in and I reach down to give her a lot of loving. Still,
my tuxedo cat named Romeo will often cause her to flee so I suppose Romeo
may be the reason she doesn't come inside too much. However, I miss Velvet
and hope she is okay. She handled the cold last year okay and chose to be
outdoors but she was still opposed by Romeo, who is about 2 years old. Romeo
is a fixed male cat. My other cat Rusty comes and goes as she wants and so
does Romeo. It is going to get cold tonight and I want to bring her in and
let her be by the heater. How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance,
David M

Old February 13th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"David Mooney" wrote

How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly indoor cat? At least for
winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Keep the door closed. Cats will actually freeze to death even if they
have a warm place to go, especially if there is some threat in the warm
place they want to avoid. They're wonderful creatures, but all they
have to work with are those little cat brains.

(I am not being a smart ass--I have made outdoor cats indoor-only,
and there is no easy way. Just don't let them out. And deal with lots
of begging to go out, yowling, etc. After a while, they stop.)

I'm really glad you're looking out for Velvet. You might not have
been paying attention and the story might have been very different.
Good luck.

Old February 13th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:32:50 -0500, David Mooney wrote:

[...]

Can you keep her in a separate room? Cats can freeze to death if they
don't have good shelter. MLB

Old February 13th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"David Mooney" wrote in message
However, I miss Velvet and hope she is okay. She handled the cold last
year okay and chose to be outdoors but she was still opposed by Romeo, who
is about 2 years old. Romeo is a fixed male cat. My other cat Rusty comes
and goes as she wants and so does Romeo. It is going to get cold tonight
and I want to bring her in and let her be by the heater. How can I turn
an outdoor cat into a mostly indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone
offer some advice?

-------
Hi, David! You've gotta find Velvet and bring her in. (I seem to get very
involved with worrying about other people's cats.) Please let us know when
she is safe and sound.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 13th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Try and show her some safe space, where she doesn't feel threatened by
Romeo.
There is no *easy fix* answer, but if you can possibly find the time
to make her feel special, more than welcome & loved, she will come
looking for it & you too.
I really do wish you the best of luck & hope that yo get on well with
this one.
Keep us posted with how things are going?
thanks!
S;o)

Old February 13th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"David Mooney" wrote:

How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Yeah, shut the damm door, that is if you really care.
Old February 13th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

David,

Sometimes you have to look at them as small kids instead of creatures
that can make their own choices. She is choosing for whatever reason to
put herself in danger. One day, you may find her in the morning and not
be able to revive her.

Whatever the reason, she needs to stay inside at night. Just like for a
kid -- you need to make that decision for her. Lock the cat door, lock
the door to that room, whatever works out best.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old February 14th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

David Mooney wrote:
I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as
they please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors.

Thanks Rhonda for yout post and thanks to all that answered my post. I was
unable to find her this morning either. This makes 4 days that I haven't
seen her yet. I worry about here. Thanks to Cindy, cybercat, mbriggs,
sheelagh und haman.

Thanks,
David M

Old February 14th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Yeah, shut the door, that is if you really care.

I agree!! When someone complains they can not keep a cat in I ofren
wonder what is wrong with the person when they can not control a 10
pound cat!!! Jeez people get real will you?!?!?! At least keep it in
for the winter!!!
Old February 14th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"David Mooney" wrote in message
. ..

David Mooney wrote:
I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as
they please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors.

Thanks Rhonda for yout post and thanks to all that answered my post. I was
unable to find her this morning either. This makes 4 days that I haven't
seen her yet. I worry about here. Thanks to Cindy, cybercat, mbriggs,
sheelagh und haman.

Keep on looking and let us know when you find her. Speak with your neighbors
and ask them to grab her if they see her again. Please keep us updated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.