Weed treatments that are safe for cats?

Old September 11th 03, 01:58 PM
dgk

Default Weed treatments that are safe for cats?

I let my cats go out in the backyard but really need to do something
about the weeds in the lawn. Is there something that I can use on the
grass that will kill weeds but not harm the cats? A holistic weed
killer?
Old September 11th 03, 05:13 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"dgk" wrote in message
I let my cats go out in the backyard but really need to do something
about the weeds in the lawn. Is there something that I can use on the
grass that will kill weeds but not harm the cats? A holistic weed
killer?

I think treatment depends on the type of weed. See here
http://tinyurl.com/n0ky for some weeding tools, including ones that use
water or fire to get rid of weeds. (Note: I am in no way affiliated with
Lee Valley except as a window-shopper and as a Canadian (buy Canadian--rah
rah!).)

Old September 11th 03, 07:38 PM
Karen M.

dgk wrote in message . ..
I let my cats go out in the backyard but really need to do something
about the weeds in the lawn. Is there something that I can use on the
grass that will kill weeds but not harm the cats? A holistic weed
killer?

I just read somewhere that straight white vinegar can kill weeds, but
I've never tried it myself. Some nursery stores carry more
environmentally-safe weed killer products, but even those advise you
keep children and animals away from the treated area for a certain
period of time. The ones I use are made from dandelions, I think the
brand name is Nature's Glory. They work well, smell better but I
always keep my pets away for at least 12 hours.

HTH,

Old September 11th 03, 08:10 PM
Alison Perera

In article ,
dgk wrote:

I let my cats go out in the backyard but really need to do something
about the weeds in the lawn. Is there something that I can use on the
grass that will kill weeds but not harm the cats? A holistic weed
killer?

The least toxic way I can think of to discourage your weeds would be to
organically encourage your lawn! Mow your lawn to a height of 3" or so,
which will shade out some weeds while making your grass very happy.
Fertilize it with an organic option like an even sprinkling of alfalfa
pellets. You could also use an aerator and then rake finely sifted
compost into the resulting holes. Don't forget to water deeply, but
infrequently. This encourages healthy roots on your grass and
discourages surface-rooting weeds. For persistent weeds, old-fashioned
hand-pulling can put a dent in the population, and when the happy,
healthy grass leaps in to fill the gap the weeds will find it quite
difficult to grow back!

-Alison in OH