The Saga of Anti Heather- or How I Came To Be Owned By So Many Cats:Chapter Five

Old April 17th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

Default The Saga of Anti Heather- or How I Came To Be Owned By So Many Cats:Chapter Five

Matthias and Maestro (RB) - Our friend Nick was also involved with our
getting Matthias and Maestro in a round about way. We were standing
talking with him at the flea market one day, and a lady came up to
Nick and asked if he wanted two kittens. The mother had had four
kittens; two males and two females (which were already spoken for).
Nick already had two, pointed to me, and told her that I was the
person to talk to (gee, thanks Nick g)

She told me they were six weeks old, and both male. She had noticed
that one of the males had balance problems, so had taken him to her
vet, who told her he had CH (Cerebellar Hypoplasia. Sight unseen,
Graeme and I decided we wanted to adopt this little one with :special
needs;. Ha! Little did we know.

When we went to pick the little guy up, his brother kept walking up
Graeme・s pant leg and onto his knee. He・s pet him for a bit, and then
put him down. He・d climb right up again. It was so cute! We talked
about it for a bit, then Graeme decided that maybe we should take him
too, as a buddy for the special needs boy. Little did he know that my
mind was already made up. As soon as I saw the two of them together,
I knew there was no way we・d be leaving with only one. g

Matthias (CH) and Maestro settled in well, and had both Willow and
Marble as pretend mothers. We quickly learned that Matthias wasn・t
special needs at all. The first time he got to the top of our 5-foot
cat tree, I nearly lost it. I thought he was going to kill himself,
but he managed to jump down from the top and land safely. I seriously
thought about getting him a crash helmet. I researched CH on the net,
and learned that Matthias was considered moderate, and that his brain
functioned normally. It was his motor skills that were lacking.

We knew we had adopted one cat with issues, but we thought Maestro
(RB) was normal. This past January, we were sitting in the living
room, and heard a cat making a horrible sound under Graeme・s chair. I
looked under and saw Maestro, thinking he had somehow got caught under
there. Graeme lifted up the chair and I got Maestro out. He looked
awful, and continued making this horrible sound.

We rushed him to the emergency vet hospital, and had to leave him
there so they could keep an eye on him. When I called the next day,
they told me he had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a genetic condition
where the heart muscle thickens abnormally. We were told that his
condition was severe, and that with treatment, we could :maybe;
prolong his life for three months or so. We asked ourselves what that
three months would be like for him, and decided that the best thing to
do would be to let him go, and not prolong his suffering.

When I called my vet, asking if there was something I should have
noticed that would have helped us find this out earlier, and maybe
eased his suffering a little, the vet told me that there was nothing I
could have done. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is known in the
veterinary speak as the :silent killer;. I am now watching Matthias
like a hawk, and missing Maestro terribly.
Old April 18th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On Apr 17, 5:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh, pour Anti an Mathias an Unca Graem. Butted da boykitty iz waitin
four all uv yoo an hiz hart iz fine. Hee mite be playin wiff myown sun
Winnie an da frenz Winnie hass mad sinse hee gotted dere. In da
sunshin wiff no bad stuff or pane.

Yoor storee tutch r harts ann I speek four da howse.

--
Maggy May
Cuddleseep is speshul
Old April 18th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred

On Thursday 17 April 2008 19:48, Will in New Haven wrote:

On Apr 17, 5:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Maggie May speaks my mind. You have looked aftrer so meny kitties,
Anti- Heather, that some are bound to have left for da Bridj. But all
uv them have had their lives enriched by yu and that is sumtin tu be
glad and pround about!
We miss owr Diana & Ryan but Fred & I are happy that you r luukin after
them. We no you will watch them carefully, and it let usses get on
with the things we has tu do.

Cinnamon

--
Peace,
Fred
Old April 18th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Apr 17, 7:48*pm, Will in New Haven
wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:06 pm, wrote:

[...]

An cuddleseep is gud four yoo.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Maggy May; we appreciate your condolences. I'm sure by now
he's met Winnie and all the others. I'm sure he's met liddle Zo辿 and
Vinnie too. He didn't get a chance to meet them while he was here.
The Rainbow Bridge must be a wonderful place.

Anti Heather
Old April 18th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Apr 17, 5:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Fred- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Cinnamon; that's very nice of you. I've done my best to
provide each and every kitty that comes into this house with the best
home possible. Whether it be permanent or temporary, they are all
given the same amount of love and affection. I wouldn't have it any
other way.

I know both you and Fred miss Diana and Ryan, and I know they miss you
too, but I'm sure deep down in their hearts, they know that you will
all be back together hopefully soon. I tell them every day that they
are just visiting, and that Fred will be coming to get them and take
them home.

They are both doing very well. Diana spends her days looking out the
window at the birds and squirrels. After a couple of hisses, she
seems indifferent to the others are in the room with them. Ryan
prefers to lie under the couch, usually with one or two others. He
seems to enjoy the company.

Every night, we have our play and brushing session, which they both
seem to enjoy (Ryan in particular). Fred, did you know they like pipe
cleaners? I remember you saying that he expects you to go to where he
is to pet him. He'll stand still for a minute or two, and then moves
to another part of the room, rolls over and exposes that belly of his,
and looks at me as if to say "come and get it". Of course, I do. g

Today, they four cats visiting them, and all is going well, as I
expected it would. There are only a couple here that I think might be
a problem, so we're saving them to the last. By that time, Diana and
Ryan will have decided who they would like to hang out with once
they're out of the room. I find the "badasses" don't seem to bother
the others when they're lounging in groups.

Anti Heather
Old April 18th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred

On Friday 18 April 2008 11:53, wrote:

They are both doing very well. Diana spends her days looking out the
window at the birds and squirrels. After a couple of hisses, she
seems indifferent to the others are in the room with them. Ryan
prefers to lie under the couch, usually with one or two others. He
seems to enjoy the company.

That sure sounds like Ryan. He is outgoing and became Cinnamon's big
buddy in a heart beat. Diana can get jealous. She likes windows and
fresh air and especially wildlife.

Every night, we have our play and brushing session, which they both
seem to enjoy (Ryan in particular). Fred, did you know they like pipe
cleaners?

No. Ryan used to like the little plastic strips that you rip off the
frozen juice cans to open them. That was the best toy he could have.
One of those would keep him happy for a few days, then he wore it out.
Ryan eats string, and I don't know what he's do with a pipe cleaner,
but it should be OK because he never ate the plastic strips.

I remember you saying that he expects you to go to where he
is to pet him. He'll stand still for a minute or two, and then moves
to another part of the room, rolls over and exposes that belly of his,
and looks at me as if to say "come and get it". Of course, I do. g

That's Ryan. He wants to see his humans make an effort.

Today, they four cats visiting them, and all is going well, as I
expected it would. There are only a couple here that I think might be
a problem, so we're saving them to the last. By that time, Diana and
Ryan will have decided who they would like to hang out with once
they're out of the room. I find the "badasses" don't seem to bother
the others when they're lounging in groups.

They won't bother Ryan either, more than once.(:-0) Although he may be
to polite to defend himself. He's never been in a serious
disagreement. It's always been play for him. He's a 21 pound cat in
the prime of his life, though, so he should be able to handle himself,
but I've always been amazed at how mature he is and how well he manages
relationships both with other cats, and with me. I'm betting that if
there are problems he may help you keep the "badasses" in line with
what's known as "minimal force." He's got leadership qualities.
Got to run.
Fred

--
Peace,
Fred
Old April 18th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Booker

Anti Heatfur,

Fangu fur da update on Diana an Ryan. Weze glad to heer der dapting to
der new digz.

Booker

Old April 18th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

You're quite welcome sweetie. They're doing very well. I've got the
door to their room open today, and Diana has taken the grand tour.
Ryan hasn't ventured outside the room yet, but I'm sure he will. Of
course, I'll leave the two of them in there overnight by themselves.

Anti Heather

wrote:

[...]

Anti Heather- Hide quoted text -

Old April 18th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On Apr 18, 2:32*pm, wrote:
You're quite welcome sweetie. *They're doing very well. *I've got the
door to their room open today, and Diana has taken the grand tour.
Ryan hasn't ventured outside the room yet, but I'm sure he will. *Of
course, I'll leave the two of them in there overnight by themselves.

Wen WooToo moofd intoo diss hows too liv wiff Uncl Bill, I hadded too
tak a furm stan oar shee wud haff stayded in dat rum an neffur bisited
wiff anee ub usses. Da Uncl Bill wuz goin to LETT hur juss stay in dat
rum coz shee wuz skared ub usses. Butted I wen in der an jus WOOKED at
hur an purreded wile she hissed at mee an spitted an calld mee namez.
Butted I wuz not scared becuz Uncl Bill woont let mee get hurted.

Hee tookd mee outta da rum affur awile butted I wood gew bak in an try
agan an agan. Affur wile, shee got tired ub beein meen an den wee
becam frenz. An shee is now frenz wiff efferycat in da houss. She iss
frenz wiff Bear, da d*g, aldo shee iz still caushus becuz hee is sew
hoomonguz. Hee IZ kwite big an has his owen grabity feeld. Shee still
wikes too stay in da wun rum butted wee bisick her an haff treets an
play ann haff slumbur parteez.

I don' fink she wikes da parrutz mutch butted I don eever.

--
Maggy May
Da widdle kittez iz gud, dey allus do wut dey shud.

Old April 19th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

On Apr 18, 11:53*am, wrote:
shreddificated...

I find the "badasses" don't seem to bother
the others when they're lounging in groups.

Anti Heather

Yu haf badasses, Anti Heather? Whut, 'zackly ar doze?? Du dey hurtz?

UB ~ I give you permission to explain that to him, Heather. He's over
the age of ten, so he's a big boy now. ;-P

--- Onyx, strangely curious...