My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =(

Old May 6th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Default My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =(

sheelagh wrote:
On 6 May, 04:08, Rhonda wrote:
I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. Maybe ask an animal rescue
group or someone you trust for the name of a trusted vet. You might even
ask your vet for a referral to an internist vet.

If he stopped the pawing while on antibiotics only, I wouldn't think
it's stress related. It sounds like an infection in there somewhere,
maybe another tooth? It must really hurt. Have they taken an x-ray of
his head? Any blood tests to check for white blood cells?

Hope they can find it quickly.

Rhonda

Riki-Lee wrote:
Thanks for the website. The information seemed to be very helpful. I will
take him to a different vet for a second opinion with the information that
was provided. I am not sure if there are any other signs of stress. Although
every night maybe 3 or 4 times for about the last year, Spotty insists on
trying to wake me up by pawing at my face, not in a harsh way though just
enough to try to wake me up. I will give him attention and he will start
purring, but if I dose off again he will try to wake me up. He never use to
do this before, do you think that this could be stress related? Things in our
household dont seem to be different.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this so far. =)- Hide quoted text -

I agree with this action entirely.

Please don't feel that you are being rude to your vet by asking him if
he thinks a second opinion might be the next best step. He is there to

One doesn't need to ask permission from the first vet to seek a second
opinion from another vet.

address any problems that your cat has, & if he has no answers, I am
sure that he will be only too pleased to do exactly that. I am certain
that he will want what is best for your cat too.
I wish you good luck, & ask if you wouldn't mind letting us know how
things are progressing for him in the future.
Best Wishes,
S;o)

Old May 6th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rona Y.

You don't mention where you live, but if you can, bring him to a
veterinary college clinic. Here's a list of veterinary schools in the
US and Canada http://www.aavmc.org/students_admiss...et_schools.htm
.. They should all have clinics where you can take you cat.

rona

Old May 7th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 6 May, 06:11, Joe Canuck wrote:
bookie wrote:
On 5 May, 23:21, "Riki-Lee" u33959@uwe wrote:
I am desperately hoping someone can help me with my cat Spotty. Back in
February this year, Spotty was pawing at his mouth almost as if there was
something lodged in there, and tore his mouth up with his claws. I rushed him
to the 24 hour animal hospital where they said he seemed fine and sent me
home with a $200.00 bill and some clavamox and metacam medicine. After the
clavamox was finished (during the time he was taking it he was fine) 2 days
after it was out of his system he started pawing at his mouth again. I took
him to his regular vet who then insisted on having a tooth extraction saying
that was the problem and after that he would be fine. After surgery and a
$629.00 bill he would be on clavamox again for 14 days. He began to noticably
limp after his surgery which I passed off as it being from the IV tube.
During his healing time he was back to being my "little guy" when again after
2 days of finishing his clavamox he was pawing at his mouth again. I took him
back to the vet and he said he was pawing because of the stitches and I
thought he was right. I took spotty back home with some prescribed antirobe
liquid antibiotics and another $100.00 visit. All was fine through the time
he was medicated and even after he finished this medication until about 2
weeks ago when the pawing started again, not lasting for very long. I cut his
claws so that he couldnt do any damage to the inside of his mouth. I also
gave him some left over pain medication and then he was fine again until
yesterday with the biggest fit yet that I have ever saw. He wouldnt let me
cut his claws this time and he did some substantial damage to the inside of
his mouth and he seems to be limping more than ever before on the same leg as
before. I called the vet and all they could saw was they were stumped for now
and to bring him in for more testing. Please if anyone out there has any
information of what this could be please let me know. I can't afford to keep
having the vet do tests and it is really stressing Spotty out. Thanks in
advance.

maybe some sort of tumour or similar developing onthe inside of his
mouth? can you taek him to a nother vet just for a second opinion?
your regular vet doesn;t seem to be up to the job.
one possibiilty is if there is swellign of the lip or tongue
particualrly, known as a ranula, and is casued by blockage of the
salivary glands and can also cause problem with eating. there si also
somethign called a 'rodent ulcer' a type of granuloma which can be
slow to grow and slow to heal too which could be causing this
behaviour as he is in discomfort. ths can betreated easily by a vet
but takes time and obviously the evt needs to have identified it first
(vets are human adn so fallible, yuor may not have spotted it?)

please get a second opinion and soon
bookie

"Tumour" appears to be your standard answer.

You must really like upsetting folks.- Hide quoted text -

no, why do you think I like upsetting people? this is the answer i got
after to speaking to a friend who is a vet and asking her abuot
possible causes, do you think she put this one forward because she
likes upsetting people?

Old May 7th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Riki-Lee wrote:
[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

I didn't mean to imply that she had to... merely that he would know
the best person to send her to & wouldn't mind doing this, if this was
what was holding her back. Apologies if it came across that way;o(
S;o)

Old May 7th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Riki-Lee wrote:
[...]

don't apologise for suggesting that someone shows their vet simple
courtesy, this joe person obviously doesn't understand what simple
courtesy and respect is all about

****

bookie

Old May 14th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Riki-Lee wrote:
Thanks for the website. The information seemed to be very helpful. I will
take him to a different vet for a second opinion with the information that
was provided. I am not sure if there are any other signs of stress. Although
every night maybe 3 or 4 times for about the last year, Spotty insists on
trying to wake me up by pawing at my face, not in a harsh way though just
enough to try to wake me up. I will give him attention and he will start
purring, but if I dose off again he will try to wake me up. He never use to
do this before, do you think that this could be stress related? Things in our
household dont seem to be different.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this so far. =)

Be sure the new vet checks at the *very* base of his tongue for a
thread. When I worked at the vet hosp., we found a thread in a cat
that 3 other vets failed to find. Also, have them x-ray his head to
look for a needle or wire. If it penetrated all the way in, they
won't be able to see it without x-ray.

-L.

Old May 14th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riki-Lee via CatKB.com

I took Spotty to the new vet on Monday and he seems to think that he has
tumors in his sinus cavity. He did alot of hard knocking on Spottys head and
sent me home with some prednizone to "shrink the swelling". I have found that
spotty has always had a wide face and I dont feel it in my heart that it
could be anything like that, but I am giving the meds and taking him back for
an x ray this week, when the supposed swelling goes down.

Old May 14th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 14 May, 16:13, "Riki-Lee via CatKB.com" u33959@uwe wrote:
I took Spotty to the new vet on Monday and he seems to think that he has
tumors in his sinus cavity. He did alot of hard knocking on Spottys head and
sent me home with some prednizone to "shrink the swelling". I have found that
spotty has always had a wide face and I dont feel it in my heart that it
could be anything like that, but I am giving the meds and taking him back for
an x ray this week, when the supposed swelling goes down.

I am so sorry to hear this news, but hope that you find that the
prednizone helps with the swellings. It has worked very well for some
of the cats we have had here, & very much hope that it does for you
too.

K.