Food thread

Old November 14th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default Food thread

"Marina" wrote

How about a strange-things-my-cat(s)-will-eat thread? We haven't had one
of those for while.

Hehe, Daisy-chan will not touch tuna. Not canned at least, likes fresh raw
in small slivers.

This is a house that partly raw-feeds the dogs (actually about 3/4 raw feeds
the dogs) and Daisy-chan gets her share.

Probably her all time favorite is just almost imersing her head in pig blood
as she sucks up as much as she can hold then cleans herself then the dogs
muzzles. Before you freak, I've lived in many lands so have a wider
definition of what is 'good food' than most of you probably have. Yeah,
coagulated pig blood is on the menu here. It's warmed to liquid and you add
pig heart and liver to it and for humans, sliver raw red onion in there then
spice it nicely. (Sammy-dog doesnt get the liver, mega farts if so).

Daisy's next fav is raw shrimp heads. She'll just hold the head with her
paws and dive in and lick out her favorite parts then drop the rest down for
the dogs, who snarf them up as if they were manna from heaven.

Her 3rd fav is steamed blue crabs. Once they have cooled, she will just
bury her head in the opened shell until it is nearly polished clean.

She also likes plum wine and other wines if red (watch your glass here!).

Old November 15th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 15/11/2010 00:59, Cheryl wrote:

Hysterical about Cali eating cucumbers! Loved the video. LOL
Does he know he's a carnivore?

Judging from the way he hoovers down his fresh meat every morning and
evening, yes, I'd say he does.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old November 15th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 14/11/2010 22:32, cshenk wrote:

Hehe, Daisy-chan will not touch tuna. Not canned at least, likes fresh
raw in small slivers.

I haven't tried tuna with these cats, but my previous ones did eat
tinned tuna for a while. I used it to hide their hyperthyroidism pills
in for a while. Then they grew tired of it, and I had to move on to
other things (sardines, sourcream...)

This is a house that partly raw-feeds the dogs (actually about 3/4 raw
feeds the dogs) and Daisy-chan gets her share.

Probably her all time favorite is just almost imersing her head in pig
blood as she sucks up as much as she can hold then cleans herself then
the dogs muzzles. Before you freak, I've lived in many lands so have a
wider definition of what is 'good food' than most of you probably have.
Yeah, coagulated pig blood is on the menu here. It's warmed to liquid
and you add pig heart and liver to it and for humans, sliver raw red
onion in there then spice it nicely. (Sammy-dog doesnt get the liver,
mega farts if so).

We do have various kinds of black pudding on this side of the pond, but
these days it's very rare to find blood for sale in the shops. It would
seem that people don't make black pudding at home any more. Here in
southern Finland, it would be small pancakes with blood, further north
it would be a sausage made from blood.

Daisy's next fav is raw shrimp heads. She'll just hold the head with her
paws and dive in and lick out her favorite parts then drop the rest down
for the dogs, who snarf them up as if they were manna from heaven.

Her 3rd fav is steamed blue crabs. Once they have cooled, she will just
bury her head in the opened shell until it is nearly polished clean.

She also likes plum wine and other wines if red (watch your glass here!).

Since I don't eat meat or seafood myself, mine don't get such a
variation of meat. They get the same old beef most days, organic pork
if I can find it, and a heart now and then.

Old November 15th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 14/11/2010 16:09, Sherry wrote:

I have spoiled Frank terribly and now we're in a real pickle because
he won't eat his canned food. I am on a liquid diet, and frequently
make stock out of chicken pieces or a meaty soup bone. After you
cook the vegetables (I don't like onion, so that doesn't go in it)
with
the meat for so long, you just "discard" them, and keep the liquid.
Unfortunately I thought a good place to discard the chicken was
Frank's mouth, which was always ready and open while I was cooking.
He adores chicken. But it's got to stop, because he can't live on
cooked chicken or beef.
The others don't want table food. He has always been my only
table-begger and trash-digger.

Yeah, I should emphasize that most of these things that Caliban eats, I
didn't give to him, he stole them. Like I discovered he likes tomato
when I had made a sandwich with tomato slices for myself, and I left the
end of the tomato on the cutting board to throw it away later. He stole
it and had eaten it before I realised what he was doing. He's never been
shy about getting up on the counters.

Or another way is that I'm cutting up something for myself and Caliban
is circling around my feet and begging. I tell him, 'you don't like
this' and hold out a slice of cucumber, for example, and he scarfs it up
and begs for more. So now always pay him 'cucumber tax' if I'm having
some myself. I figure, at least it's not bad for him, like lots of
cheese or bread. Let him fill up on cucumber!

Old November 15th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 14/11/2010 17:27, Ted Davis wrote:

Fleagor is partial to frogs. Chubby and CJ are crazy about birds, but of
the two, only Chubby can catch them - Dandy also favors them, but I don't
know if he can catch them. Most of the others will eat any kind of fresh
meat, especially if they catch it themselves.

I wish Miranda would take a leaf out of their book! It's always a
struggle to get her enough meat when we're on the island, because the
small village shops that are only a short boast trip away are never very
well stocked with meat, and to go to the larger shops further away, the
we have to wait for suitable weather. Miranda does hunt voles, but she
never eats them. She just doesn't realise they are food. It would be
great if she could fix her own fresh meat for herself. If she could have
had just one summer there with Nikki, I'm sure Nikki would have taught
her all there is to know about catching and eating prey.

Old November 15th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 14/11/2010 20:06, Pat wrote:

Eli is fond of wheat bread, which must not be left where he can get
it.

Before I learned to hide away my freshly baked bread, Caliban stole
several rolls and once even tried to drag away a whole loaf.

Old November 15th 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

cshenk wrote:

Probably her all time favorite is just almost imersing her head in pig blood
as she sucks up as much as she can hold then cleans herself then the dogs
muzzles. Before you freak, I've lived in many lands so have a wider
definition of what is 'good food' than most of you probably have.

Even if I wouldn't eat it myself, I don't think having a face covered in
blood is a bad experience for a cat, regardless of the country. Look
at all the nature shows, with lions and cheetahs cleaning blood off their
faces after a big meal.

Yeah,
coagulated pig blood is on the menu here. It's warmed to liquid and you add
pig heart and liver to it and for humans, sliver raw red onion in there then
spice it nicely.

OK, I'm grossed out. But I admit that I'm extremely non-adventurous
when it comes to meat. I'll only eat what's familiar to me, only
animals I've eaten many times before, and even there, only body parts
of those animals that I'm used to.

When it comes to veggies and sauces and different ways of preparing
food, I'm pretty open to new experiences. But with meat and seafood, I
have almost no tolerance for that. But that's just me, I'm sure people
in other countries think some of the food I eat is pretty gross, too.
I still remember an article I read several years ago about the way many
Asians feel about dairy products. One immigrant to the US had never been
able to get used to cheese - she was quoted as saying that it smelled
like vomit. Go figure - cheese is one of my favorite foods.

(Sammy-dog doesnt get the liver, mega farts if so).

Ha - that's why *I* don't eat liver anymore!

Joyce

--
Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words "mackerel" and "pudding" existed far, far away from one another. One
Old November 15th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Marina" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Hehe, Daisy-chan will not touch tuna. Not canned at least, likes fresh
raw in small slivers.

I haven't tried tuna with these cats, but my previous ones did eat tinned
tuna for a while. I used it to hide their hyperthyroidism pills in for a
while. Then they grew tired of it, and I had to move on to other things
(sardines, sourcream...)

I'm in the odd case that with some 25 cats over the years (I'm 50 now and
often adopt elderly cats looking for a final home), I've not had one yet
that will touch can can versions of tuna. Some like human tuna can but
mostly just the liquid. Go figure?

[...]

Yes, wonderful stuff! USA and much of Canda for some reason didn't really
adapt to this as a food though you can find 'blood sausages' marketed in
such a way that unless you check the label, you don't know it's in there
(grin). In the USA, you mostly find coagulated blood in Asian markets
though there are other ethnic markets where it can be found as well.

Daisy's next fav is raw shrimp heads. She'll just hold the head with her
paws and dive in and lick out her favorite parts then drop the rest down
for the dogs, who snarf them up as if they were manna from heaven.

Her 3rd fav is steamed blue crabs. Once they have cooled, she will just
bury her head in the opened shell until it is nearly polished clean.

She also likes plum wine and other wines if red (watch your glass here!).

Since I don't eat meat or seafood myself, mine don't get such a variation
of meat. They get the same old beef most days, organic pork if I can
find it, and a heart now and then.

Grin, no harm there! We are 'low meat eaters' here. (meat to me is also
seafood, a difference across the pond generally used by most here). It's
due to cholestrol issues so we use it more as a garnish much of the time.

Old November 15th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

bastXXXette wrote
cshenk wrote:

Probably her all time favorite is just almost imersing her head in pig
blood
as she sucks up as much as she can hold then cleans herself then the
dogs
muzzles. Before you freak, I've lived in many lands so have a wider
definition of what is 'good food' than most of you probably have.

Even if I wouldn't eat it myself, I don't think having a face covered in
blood is a bad experience for a cat, regardless of the country. Look
at all the nature shows, with lions and cheetahs cleaning blood off their
faces after a big meal.

Yup! Oh and this is 'pasturized' (human consumption grade USA laws) blood
they get.

Yeah,
coagulated pig blood is on the menu here. It's warmed to liquid and you
add
pig heart and liver to it and for humans, sliver raw red onion in there
then
spice it nicely.

OK, I'm grossed out. But I admit that I'm extremely non-adventurous
when it comes to meat. I'll only eat what's familiar to me, only
animals I've eaten many times before, and even there, only body parts
of those animals that I'm used to.

Snicker, it's ok. Believe it or not but it's really common to have a food
set of 'acceptable' and 'not acceptable' and it's in all cultures not just
ours. I tried the yak blood and soured yak milk once. Definately a
skippable experience I assure you.

I've been or lived in so many places over a 26 year Navy career, I blended
more foods in than most is all. The majority of my cookery is what you call
'fusion' meaning it comes from all sorts of places, mix and matched into a
unique new whole.

When it comes to veggies and sauces and different ways of preparing
food, I'm pretty open to new experiences. But with meat and seafood, I
have almost no tolerance for that. But that's just me, I'm sure people
in other countries think some of the food I eat is pretty gross, too.

Yup! That they would!

I still remember an article I read several years ago about the way many
Asians feel about dairy products. One immigrant to the US had never been
able to get used to cheese - she was quoted as saying that it smelled
like vomit. Go figure - cheese is one of my favorite foods.

It's true of some types of cheese to their perspective. We tend to have the
same reaction to fermented tofu etc.

(Sammy-dog doesnt get the liver, mega farts if so).

Ha - that's why *I* don't eat liver anymore!

Oh man, he even chased the *cat* out of the room that time! Cash-pup and
Daisy-chan slept in the livingroom and Don's only comment that morning was
'I love you dear, and if you ever feed Sammy pork liver again, I'm gonna
tape your nose to his butt for the night'. (LOL!).

Old November 16th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 06:51:27 +0200, Marina wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure some of my cats were taught the basics of hunting by
their mothers: Ozy and Millie were barn kittens, and Mudpie and Avery
were back yard kittens. I'm very sure that Curly, Chubby, and Hilde did
*not* learn from their indoor mother. Some of the others were adult when
I got them so I know nothing about their backgrounds.

I am also sure that they learn from each other and also invent techniques
for themselves: Chubby taught herself to catch birds at the feeder - I
never saw that leaping technique before she started catching birds with
it, but it wasn't too long thereafter that several others were trying
(with far less style and success) that technique. Fleagor is the only
one who regularly hunts frogs, so he must have taught himself. Dandy
learned mole hunting from Avery and Mudpie, and quickly got better at it
than they ever were. I don't know what Snowball hunts, but she sometimes
stays away for up to three weeks, so she must be successful at it. CJ
tries his hand at catching anything that moves, but with little or no
success. As far as I know, Tigger doesn't hunt at all. I don't know
much about hunting by the others, but I think they all try, at least
occasionally.

--
Ted Davis )

Thread 10 hitchhiker Cats - misc 0 November 27th 08 09:12 PM
Thread 9 hitchhiker Cats - misc 0 November 27th 08 08:57 PM
Thread 7 hitchhiker Cats - misc 0 November 27th 08 08:50 PM
Thread 6 hitchhiker Cats - misc 0 November 27th 08 08:41 PM
Thread 5 hitchhiker Cats - misc 0 November 27th 08 08:30 PM