Switching Kittens' Food

Old September 4th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Switching Kittens' Food

Even though the last Nutro "alert" was probably not anything to worry about,
still, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to feed Da Boyz their Nutro Max
Kitten Chicken and Liver flavored canned food. They have always polished
off their own food and then went scrounging the adults' food dishes, so
they've been eating *some* canned Fancy Feast pate flavors. They are a
little over 4 months old now. Formula-wise, I don't see much difference
between Nutro Max Kitten and FF - they both have meat and meat broth listed
as the first three ingredients.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is there
another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled lists)?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old September 4th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

Even though the last Nutro "alert" was probably not anything to worry
about, still, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to feed Da Boyz
their Nutro Max Kitten Chicken and Liver flavored canned food. They
have always polished off their own food and then went scrounging the
adults' food dishes, so they've been eating *some* canned Fancy Feast
pate flavors. They are a little over 4 months old now. Formula-wise,
I don't see much difference between Nutro Max Kitten and FF - they
both have meat and meat broth listed as the first three ingredients.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is
there another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled
lists)?

Back in the "old days" my kittens always ate regular cat food since there
was no such thing as kitten food back then. They all lived to be 17 to 19
years of age with no health problems all their lives. I wouldn't worry
about switching them to a quality adult cat food at their age since they
seem so healthy now.

Cheers,
Bobble
Old September 5th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

Even though the last Nutro "alert" was probably not anything to worry about,
still, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to feed Da Boyz their Nutro Max
Kitten Chicken and Liver flavored canned food. They have always polished
off their own food and then went scrounging the adults' food dishes, so
they've been eating *some* canned Fancy Feast pate flavors. They are a
little over 4 months old now. Formula-wise, I don't see much difference
between Nutro Max Kitten and FF - they both have meat and meat broth listed
as the first three ingredients.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is there
another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled lists)?

My cats have never enjoyed the luxury of "kitten food" - if
they were old enough to leave mama, IMO they were old enough
to eat normal cat food. Certainly none of mine have ever
suffered for it, and those who did not live to a respectable
age had health problem unrelated to diet (like feline
leukemia or skin cancer). If you have any doubts about the
safety of what you're feeding them, by all means change it!

Old September 5th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Sounds like they are making up your mind for you anyway. Go ahead and feed
everyone the same thing. Doesn't sound as though either of them is
starving.

Jo

Old September 5th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 4, 3:34 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Even though the last Nutro "alert" was probably not anything to worry about,
still, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to feed Da Boyz their Nutro Max
Kitten Chicken and Liver flavored canned food. They have always polished
off their own food and then went scrounging the adults' food dishes, so
they've been eating *some* canned Fancy Feast pate flavors. They are a
little over 4 months old now. Formula-wise, I don't see much difference
between Nutro Max Kitten and FF - they both have meat and meat broth listed
as the first three ingredients.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is there
another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled lists)?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I don't know, Lori. Certainly adult food won't hurt them, especially
just in the
interim till you find a kitten formula you feel comfortable with. I
think they're considered
"kittens" till they're a year old. They're just so active, and they
need a lot of calories.
I certainly would never feed kittens under 5 months adult formula, but
yours are older
than that now, aren't they?
Just a suggestion, but Pro Plan makes a liver & chicken canned food,
kitten formula. It's Purina, and so
far AFAIK Purina's been safe. The price is about the same as Nutro,
and I think I remember it's
also the same texture.

Sherry

Old September 5th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is
there
another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled lists)?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped////

Miss Lily Whiskers was switched to good quality wet adult food when
she was about 12 weeks old and started helping herself to the wet and
dry adult food. So, I started feeding her wet food on demand and
supplemented her food with cat milk. The important thing to remember
is that their energy requirements are much, much higher than adult
cats because they need to grow too as well as discharge huge amounts
of energy.... Adult food never hurt Miss Lily Whiskers - she's like a
little horse and very *solid*.

Helen M

Old September 5th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Even though the last Nutro "alert" was probably not anything to worry
about,
still, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to feed Da Boyz their Nutro
Max
Kitten Chicken and Liver flavored canned food. They have always polished
off their own food and then went scrounging the adults' food dishes, so
they've been eating *some* canned Fancy Feast pate flavors. They are a
little over 4 months old now. Formula-wise, I don't see much difference
between Nutro Max Kitten and FF - they both have meat and meat broth
listed
as the first three ingredients.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to switch them over? Is there
another kitten food that safe (never been on any of the recalled lists)?

Since your little monsters already look like the kitten version of Barry
Bonds, I wouldn't worry too much. Dante ate grow cat food almost from the
first day I had him, because I simply couldn't keep him out of Stinky's
food-- and he looks pretty much like Barry Bonds too, come to think of it.
:P

Old September 5th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They were born April 30, 2007.

than that now, aren't they?
Just a suggestion, but Pro Plan makes a liver & chicken canned food,
kitten formula. It's Purina, and so
far AFAIK Purina's been safe. The price is about the same as Nutro,

Yep, Purina makes Fancy Feast and AFAIK none of their brands have been
recalled. Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

and I think I remember it's
also the same texture.

Sherry

Old September 5th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

ROTFLMAO! They eat *two cans a day EACH*, *PLUS* they scrounge the adults'
food bowls. And yet they still manage to be skinny - long, but skinny. I
have no idea where they're putting all that food (but then DH scoops the
litter box ;). I think it's just their natural body type. They also have
the very triangular faces and long, LONG tails - to me they look like little
orange stripey Abyssinians.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 5th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect they are using it to fuel metabolisms from hell. (Ask your other
cats what I mean)

I wouldn't be concerned about kitten food after four months unless it was a
kitten that wasn't thriving. Or an exotic breed that takes a little longer
to mature.

Jo