Silly Cats!

Old December 7th 03, 03:36 AM
Hans Schrøder

"James Collins" wrote in message
. com...
Yea, one of my cats prefers to eat any pieces of dry food that has been
knocked out of the bowl BEFORE eating out of the bowl, almost as if to

help
in cleaning up, the only way he can.
The other cat is often seen going through the motions of covering his food
up. The floor is vinyl, but aparently there is some imaginary dirt there,
cause he is going through the motions of burying it.

The burying motions is a natural instinct. It says somehing like "Ok, I've
had enough for now, but I will bury the rest so I can come back and eat it
later, when I need it." So it is not the same as when they bury their doings
in the cat litter. In the first case, they "bury" the food to prevent it
from being stolen by other animals, in the latter, they bury their doings to
hide their smell from the dominant leader. This is a sign of submission.

--
Hans
(Norwegians like cats, too)

Old December 7th 03, 05:25 PM
Ted Davis

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 03:36:43 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
wrote:

[...]

Two observations: even hungry cats try to bury food they don't think
is eatable - some fill refuse to eat it for so long that they loose
serious amounts of weight; cats don't have leaders - they are not pack
or herd animals.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)