Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through?OK, way OT, but fascinating

Old March 27th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through? OK, way OT, but fascinating

Lesley Madigan wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:00*pm, "Joy" wrote:
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Have you read any of Connie Willis's time travel books? *I thought her
"Doomsday Book" was excellent. *However, the latest two-book saga is even
better: *"Blackout" and "All Clear". *

Thanks for the heads up I loved "Doomsday Book"- so I'll add the other
two to my wish list on Amazon (Trying not to buy too many books at the
moment- what with not knowing if I'll have a job 48 hours from now and
a number of household appliances having a race to see which one dies
first I am trying to save some pennies)

Don't you guys have libraries?? And if you can't find Connie Willis
books in your library, you belong to a big gaming club. Must be lots
of science fiction geeks there. Maybe someone has one they could lend
you? Another idea: go to the online booksellers and see what's
available second-hand. Often you can find a decent copy of a used
book for pennies - most of the cost is for the shipping.

Joyce - hardly ever pays full price for books. Or at all, most of the
time.

--
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old March 27th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley Madigan wrote:

Ali, came in one day and said "Are you having lunch?" (what was the
giveaway? The half eaten sandwich? The cup of tea? The fact I was
reading a book?) so I said I was but what could I do for her anyway?
(sandwiches don't go cold after all) and she said "What's the
book?" (She's a big reader) so I showed her....

Note to self: People will think you are weird if your idea of
lunchtime reading is "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice" (I'm
fascinated by forensic medicine and our hospital library has a good
selection)

LOL!!!!

Joyce

Old March 28th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 10:00 pm, "Joy" wrote:
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Have you read any of Connie Willis's time travel books? I thought her
"Doomsday Book" was excellent. However, the latest two-book saga is even
better: "Blackout" and "All Clear".

Thanks for the heads up I loved "Doomsday Book"- so I'll add the other
two to my wish list on Amazon (Trying not to buy too many books at the
moment- what with not knowing if I'll have a job 48 hours from now and
a number of household appliances having a race to see which one dies
first I am trying to save some pennies)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

***

I fully understand. I try to stay out of bookstores, because I'd be like a
kid in a candy shop. ;-)

Joy

Old March 28th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel
dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,'
when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

Sure you can! I mean, with some people it's probably better to be
diplomatic and say "I couldn't get into it" rather than "That was a pile
of trash, how could you even own such a book?" But IMO life's too
short to spend it reading things you don't enjoy, just so your friends
won't be offended. And even if they are, they'll get over it.

Joyce

I agree! Years ago my mother would send me books that I hated. Books by
Maeve Binchy and Jackie Collins. Sorry, but I don't read that stuff. I
finally told her to stop sending me those books. She didn't mind. She
appreciated my honesty.

I remember being very insulted by a guy where I worked. (I didn't work
*with* him, his office was in the same building.) I was sitting outside
on my break reading. Just to strike up conversation he said, "Romance
novel?" Oh, this is soooo not the right way to start a conversation with
me! Romance novel? Excuse me? Please don't assume because I'm a woman
the only thing I read is romance novels!

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Jill

LOL! Good answer, true or not.

Joy

Old March 28th 11, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Ali, came in one day and said "Are you having lunch?" (what was the
giveaway? The half eaten sandwich? The cup of tea? The fact I was
reading a book?) so I said I was but what could I do for her anyway?
(sandwiches don't go cold after all) and she said "What's the
book?" (She's a big reader) so I showed her....

Note to self: People will think you are weird if your idea of
lunchtime reading is "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice" (I'm
fascinated by forensic medicine and our hospital library has a good
selection)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

***

LOL! I've been known to watch 'Bones' on TV while eating my dinner.

Joy

Old March 28th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Lesley Madigan wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:30Â*am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Ali, came in one day and said "Are you having lunch?" (what was the
giveaway? The half eaten sandwich? The cup of tea? The fact I was
reading a book?) so I said I was but what could I do for her anyway?
(sandwiches don't go cold after all) and she said "What's the
book?" (She's a big reader) so I showed her....

Note to self: People will think you are weird if your idea of
lunchtime reading is "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice" (I'm
fascinated by forensic medicine and our hospital library has a good
selection)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

There used to be book covers you could buy that were conversation
staters/stoppers. They were mockups of fake books to hide the one you were
reading - useful for public transportation, I guess.

There is one type of book I avoid like the plague, these are the Reader's
Digest condensed versions. Has anyone read any of these? Yech!

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
Old March 29th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Lesley wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, wrote:

[...]

In defense of RDCB, they are perfect for those families that have very
limited budgets. Growing up, I discovered some of my favorite authors
via Readers Digest Condensed Books. These were authors that we
ordinarily wouldn't have checked out. RDCB are also great for those
families that are isolated (we lived over 9 miles from the nearest town,
which still has a very limited library) or are in an area with limited
services.

Some authors read better in the condensed versions, like James Mitchner
or Leon Uris, who are both excellent authors but in love with their words.

Pam S.
Old March 29th 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

m...
Lesley wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, wrote:

[...]

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys them.

Joy

Old March 29th 11, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

Lesley wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, wrote:

[...]

I've read but one or two of them, when I was a teenager (I guess I was REAL
bored). One was a book about a girl who becomes a nun. I guess it was a
pretty popular novel at the time (60's or 70's). Can't say it was the worst
thing I've ever read, but I did notice a number of loose plot points, thanks
to the condensation!

*R* *H*
Old March 29th 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message

In defense of RDCB, they are perfect for those families that have very
limited budgets. Growing up, I discovered some of my favorite authors via
Readers Digest Condensed Books. These were authors that we ordinarily
wouldn't have checked out. RDCB are also great for those families that
are isolated (we lived over 9 miles from the nearest town, which still has
a very limited library) or are in an area with limited services.

Some authors read better in the condensed versions, like James Mitchner or
Leon Uris, who are both excellent authors but in love with their words.

I would add Stephen King to that list. Talk about being in love with your
words. Why say something one way when you can say it five different ways?
I liked his books when I read them, but he really needed an editor. But
why would a publisher pay money for an editor, when the book's going to
be a bestseller no matter what they do?

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten