Smudge is dying

Old April 6th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Smudge is dying

Thank you, everyone, for tttttttttttttttttttttr (--- that's from
Smudge, she's here in the computer room with me) all the sympathy
and nice messages.

We're hanging out together while I sit at the computer. It's almost
like old times, except that she's spacy and very slow-moving. But she
did eat a little of the crunchies I put down for her, and when I pet
her, I can hear her whispery little purr. That is a miracle, because
she's done little but run away, or hiss and growl at me, whenever I've
come near, over the past year.

She's even jumped up on the desk a few times, walked around and
accepted a few pets from me, and then jumped back down. Mostly she's
been curled up in a little cubbyhole - the bottom of a set of shelves
next to my desk, away from the door. The door may be closed, but she
knows who's behind it. I hope it feels safe and comfy for her.

And I hope she's not missing her buddy Matt (my neighbor). He's going
to come over tomorrow to say goodbye to her. I would have liked to let
her hang out at his house - that's where she's chosen to live for the
past two years. But I want to keep watch over her and make sure she
doesn't have a medical emergency outside, all by herself. But it doesn't
seem fair that a cat who loves and *needs* to be outdoors is spending
her final hours inside. Maybe at this point, she's too sick to care.

It's really hard to believe she's actually dying.

Joyce
Old April 6th 11, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On 4/6/2011 1:23 AM, wrote:
[...]

((((((((((Joyce))))))))) (((((((((Smudge)))))))))
(((((((((Matt))))))))))

Pam S
Old April 6th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 6, 12:23*am, wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry, Joyce. Remember daughter has lost two cats to cancer
over the last
couple of years. It always breaks my heart to hear about a cancer
diagnosis and
for some reason it seems so common now. Maybe it's just a matter of us
taking
better care of our cats, so they live longer and better diagnostics. I
don't know.
Anyway, I am just so sorry.
Remember how stoic cats are, it's part of their defense mechanism to
hide pain. If she's
acting normal I don't think she's in pain. If she starts to hide,
that's usually a clue she's
hurting.
I know how hard it is, there just aren't words.
Sherry