Kitty Prozac

Old July 20th 04, 01:32 AM
Laura M

Default Kitty Prozac

My vet just prescribed prozac (or something like it) for my kitty. My
kitty is scratching herself bald. It started, I believe, with
allergies this season in March and the vet gave her a cortizone
injection at that time. Every 3-4 weeks she'd need another injection
to control her scratching herself silly. I thought it was over until
yesterday when I noticed bald spots on top of her head, and a huge one
on her neck. The vet suggested this prozac to hopefully help her get
over this obsessive compulsive disorder of scratching. I've changed
her food in the last three months, brush her, and give her vitamins
that have primrose oil.

Has anyone heard of prozac for kitties???

Laura M.

Old July 21st 04, 02:17 AM
Ken Stager

I've not used Prozac on cats, but I've had some success with Feliway
diffusers to promote a general sense of well being/happiness in my
herd of cats (four currently). I have one cat, Kahless, who is a
bundle of nerves and neuroses normally. What has worked to chill him
out w/o making him reall dopy is a product called NutriCalm.

http://www.rxvitamins.com/pets/nutricalmcats.asp

When he's taken it, he no longer freaks out at every little glance
from the other tomcat Uther, or obsess over the 'newbie' Morgana
(who's been in the house since last October). He's a bit spaced on
the stuff, but not nearly as bad as a 1/2 tab of Elival/amyltryptoline
he was getting. The only drawback I've seen with this stuff is it
tends to produce a bolus of runny fecal matter which both I and
Kahless find distasteful. He will not even bury it! I've found that
one capsule every two or three days is about the right dose for him.
Keeps him relaxed w/o turning him into a zombie.

"Gail" wrote in message ink.net...
Yes, it is used to decrease anxiety.
Gail
om...

Old July 21st 04, 04:34 AM
blkcatgal

One of my cats takes fluoxetine (which is the generic for prozac) to help
curb his spraying behavior. It doesn't make him a zombie or anything and it
has helped.

Sue

om...

Old July 21st 04, 01:06 PM
IBen Getiner

Subject: Kitty Prozac

reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!prodigy.com!news.glorb.com!postnew
s2.google.com!not-for-mail
From: (Laura M)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: 19 Jul 2004 17:32:36 -0700

My vet just prescribed prozac (or something like it) for my kitty. My
kitty is scratching herself bald. It started, I believe, with
allergies this season in March and the vet gave her a cortizone
injection at that time. Every 3-4 weeks she'd need another injection
to control her scratching herself silly. I thought it was over until
yesterday when I noticed bald spots on top of her head, and a huge one
on her neck. The vet suggested this prozac to hopefully help her get
over this obsessive compulsive disorder of scratching. I've changed
her food in the last three months, brush her, and give her vitamins
that have primrose oil.

Has anyone heard of prozac for kitties???

Laura M.

YOU are a NUT. You're probably on Prozac yourself and think that a 'magic pill'
is the answer to all life's woes. Get a life. Get to church or something before
you ruin everything and everyone who crosses paths with your miserable life.

IBen Getiner

A brief note to friends here-abouts
Just checking in and not stopping. Hello and goodbye to one and all.
Old July 21st 04, 01:06 PM
IBen Getiner

Old July 22nd 04, 01:59 AM
Alison

"Laura M" wrote in message
om...
My vet just prescribed prozac (or something like it) for my kitty.

My
kitty is scratching herself bald. It started, I believe, with
allergies this season in March and the vet gave her a cortizone
injection at that time. Every 3-4 weeks she'd need another

injection
to control her scratching herself silly. I thought it was over

until
yesterday when I noticed bald spots on top of her head, and a huge

one
on her neck. The vet suggested this prozac to hopefully help her

get
over this obsessive compulsive disorder of scratching. I've changed
her food in the last three months, brush her, and give her vitamins
that have primrose oil.

Has anyone heard of prozac for kitties???

Hi Laura,
Is your vet sure she has a compulsive scratching disorder? maybe she
scratching because she is still itchy! If she gets bald patches she
couls have eosinophilic granuloma.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...granuloma.html

This link is about urine spraying but it has info about mood altering
drugs and the side effects.

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Behavio...r_frm.asp?LA=1
Alison