Cat stopped eating

Old July 16th 03, 11:20 PM
TopCat

Default Cat stopped eating

My kitty, a 3 year old spayed Maine coon mix is a full time indoor
cat, but in the last month or so I've been taking her for walks in the
yard in a harness. Occasionally during her walks she'll nibble on
grass and sometimes she'll throw up a few hours afterwards. She is
pretty long-haired,, so its not too unusual and she is always fine
afterwards. She did that last night, but has not touched her food
afterwards. She spent the night in one spot and did not get up and
meow for food or to be walked as she normally does. She has not
touched any moist or dry food or water. I am not sure if she used the
box at all since last night. She is sleeping in her usual spots right
now and not hiding or showing any signs of distress, but she does not
meow and when I petted and brushed her her purring was very weak. Any
ideas? I had to worm her about 10 days ago, when I saw her rubbing
her butt on the floor and she has not done it since. I'll do whatever
it takes to get her well, but she hates travel and I don't want to
drag her across town if its just a kitty equivalent of upset stomach.

PSI gave her a little catnip and she ate it, but then laid back down
again
Old July 16th 03, 11:32 PM
Sherry

My kitty, a 3 year old spayed Maine coon mix is a full time indoor
cat, but in the last month or so I've been taking her for walks in the
yard in a harness. Occasionally during her walks she'll nibble on
grass and sometimes she'll throw up a few hours afterwards. She is
pretty long-haired,, so its not too unusual and she is always fine
afterwards. She did that last night, but has not touched her food
afterwards. She spent the night in one spot and did not get up and
meow for food or to be walked as she normally does. She has not
touched any moist or dry food or water. I am not sure if she used the
box at all since last night. She is sleeping in her usual spots right
now and not hiding or showing any signs of distress, but she does not
meow and when I petted and brushed her her purring was very weak. Any
ideas?

Hi Top Cat..
I don't want to alarm you, but I think you should take her to the vet. It's
better to be safe than sorry..and catts are *so good* at hiding it when they
are ill. One of my cats died this week, and he showed no sign of illness
whatsoever. He was eating fine, looked healthy, but I *had* noticed he had
slowed down some and was sleeping more and playing less. I attributed that to
the heat and the fact he was getting older and settling down. When in fact, an
autopsy showed he had been ill a long time. From now on, any time there's a
change, no matter how subtle, I think a vet visit is in order. Good luck.
Please let us know.

Sherry

Old July 16th 03, 11:45 PM
CityKitty

"TopCat" wrote in message
[...]

Your cat is sick and in need of medical attention. Is it possible she was
poisened by some pesticides??
Please take her to the vet - your instincts are correct - she needs
assistance.

-Mrs. R

Old July 17th 03, 02:13 AM
TopCat

She nibbled on some more dry food, but better safe than sorry so I
made a vet appt. for her for tomorrow afternoon.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:39:27 GMT, TopCat wrote:

Well, after sitting at the window for about half an hour she went over
to her food dishes and started sniffing. I opened a new can for her
and she ate some gravy and a couple of pieces of meat. Then she
groomed herself, laid down for about 5 minutes then went back to the
dishes and started eating dry food. Not sure what to think.

Old July 17th 03, 02:31 AM
MacCandace

She nibbled on some more dry food, but better safe than sorry so I
made a vet appt. for her for tomorrow afternoon.

That's good, it's really the only way to be sure. Hopefully, it will turn out
to be nothing. It seems a good sign that she is beginning to eat again.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace