New development in Sick CAT

Old January 4th 04, 05:13 PM
Gia

Default New development in Sick CAT

I posted about my cat being sick last week, with vomiting and fever
and diarhea. I took her to my Cousin who is a vet instead of my normal
vet because I owed my normal vet money at the time and did not have
it. I pay my cousin as anyone else, in fact it cost $82. Anyway, she
had stopped vomiting BUT came home and developed a severe cold. This
happened also several months ago when I took her there with a leg
problem, she came home and got the same cold virus!
Needless to say I'm REALLY upset. Now my poor baby is suffering. I
called my normal vet and paid him what I owed there(they would have
seen me anyway) and got medication for her. Orbax(antibiotic) and an
antihystimine as well. This is an awful thing to watch a cat endure if
anyone has had the misfortune to have a cat with URI. She keeps
sneezing an licking herself and struggling to breath through her nose.
She's hiding and just very depressed and not herself.
I called my cousin when I first noticed her sneezing and I was worried
because of her demeanor. Her pupils were big and she was staring and
it scared me. The secretary there, who btw has NO MEDICAL background
what-so-ever. When I said I was worried and that her pupils were big
"OH that's normal"! I said she is acting really strange, she said
"that is normal too with a sick cat"!!!!!!!!! I just couldn't believe
that this young girl with NO VETERINARY OR MEDICAL education AT ALL,
was diagnosing my cat!!!!! I said well I would like her to be seen,
she said very condescendingly "WELL all that's open is a 3 O'clock!"
"Are you going to pick up the medicine"? Again I said I'm really
worried because she does not look right to me. She giggled at me as if
I was over reacting! "Well like I said we ONLY have a 3O'clock Open"
THAT WAS IT!!!!!! I will NEVER take my cat there AGAIN EVER! And I
have a few things to tell my cousin as well. She is losing business
because I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE who has been fed up with the
unprofessional attitude of her "SECRETARIES/Receptionist".
UNBELIEVABLE!
I, of course, called my normal vet, who has been through this before
with my cat and he gave me her meds. I will not even go to pick up
medicine from my cousin's veterinary hospital.
The question is? Am I over reacting? How can she(my cat Peachie)get
the same URI
back both times she visited there? It sounds as if proper precautions
are not met when having sick cats there. It is very contagious and
things (tables, areas and so forth) should be sterile. And besides
that, why is some young receptionist who has NO BUSINESS and/or
education in the field, give me medical advice about my cat? AND, she
was very sarcastic and condescending, this happens every/any time I
deal with ANY receptionist there. A few people I spoke with said the
same thing. She is my 1st cousin and on the holidays or outside of the
vets office, she is very nice and friendly towards me. So it has
nothing to do with that.
Old January 4th 04, 05:32 PM
MaryL

"Gia" wrote in message
om...
The question is? Am I over reacting? How can she(my cat Peachie)get
the same URI
back both times she visited there? It sounds as if proper precautions
are not met when having sick cats there. It is very contagious and
things (tables, areas and so forth) should be sterile. And besides
that, why is some young receptionist who has NO BUSINESS and/or
education in the field, give me medical advice about my cat? AND, she
was very sarcastic and condescending, this happens every/any time I
deal with ANY receptionist there. A few people I spoke with said the
same thing. She is my 1st cousin and on the holidays or outside of the
vets office, she is very nice and friendly towards me. So it has
nothing to do with that.

Did you ask to speak directly to your cousin? My vet always returns my
calls promptly if he isn't available when I call.

MaryL

Old January 4th 04, 06:21 PM
Karen

Rather than create strife between you and your cousin, I would mention to
your cousin the entire incident and try to do so without heat. You might
emphasize that you are disinclined to go to a vet with such a receptionist
(whose advice might even be dangerous) so you could see people who don't
know the cousin might choose not even to go in there. The receptionist is at
fault for sure saying such things and acting that way.

URI, your cat may just not have a real good immune system. URI's are
easy to pick up if it was already depressed. I don't think it is too odd. I
know mine have picked up URI's after having procedures done and having to
stay over night. Since they are older, it seems to have gotten better.

Karen

Old January 4th 04, 10:11 PM
afr

Hi Gia,

First off, I'm glad you were able to get the meds the cat needs from your
vet. Wrt your frustration with the other office, I can relate. My cat was
blocked in November, and I was in emergency mode trying to stablize him,
and the staff I was dealing with may as well have been sipping mint julips
on the veranda, for all of the concern they were showing me. I guess the
bottom line is, these days good medical care (for all species) can be hard
to find. A lot of people are there to collect money. There are so many
mediocre practices. I hear you:It is alarming to go through that.

Ava

Old January 5th 04, 05:24 AM
Dennis Carr

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:13:32 -0800, Gia wrote:

I posted about my cat being sick last week, with vomiting and fever
and diarhea. I took her to my Cousin who is a vet instead of my normal
vet because I owed my normal vet money at the time and did not have
it. I pay my cousin as anyone else, in fact it cost $82. Anyway, she
had stopped vomiting BUT came home and developed a severe cold. This
happened also several months ago when I took her there with a leg
problem, she came home and got the same cold virus!

You also mentioned that the receptionist was giving medical advice. She
is no more qualified to do that than a standard-issue McDonalds fry cook.

I'm not well versed on vet medicine either, but I've had kittens contract
URIs from another vet clinic - the problem, as you indicate, seems to be
that not only are there areas that people don't think to sterilize (IE,
waiting areas), there are areas that need to be sterilized that, in a few
cases, unfortunately aren't (patient exam rooms). This was a discount
clinic, which unfortunately has put me in the mindset of "caveat emptor"
when looking for vets.

Like Karen suggested, though, please talk to your cousin about what
happened in excruciating detail, including the receptionist.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.