Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Old October 8th 03, 12:13 AM
turn man

Default Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

My cat is being tested for HCM and I was wondering if there are any cat
owner's out there who have cats with this disease? If so can you tell me
what kind of lifestyle your cat leads and how old I can expect my cat to
live with the disease?

Thanks!

Old October 8th 03, 03:19 PM
LeeAnne

I believe this is the issue my 'nephew kitty' has. A friend of mine is
owned by Benny now and he takes 1/4 of a human pill of some sort, twice a
day, every day and I believe 1/2 of a baby aspirin twice a week. Benny is
very very good about taking the pills because he is so used to it. You
scoop him up, open his mouth, pop it down his throat and then just make sure
he has swallowed it. Takes about 10 seconds.

You have to be committed to taking care of the cat, once you start the meds
you cannot stop them, ever (that's what the vet said). Even though Benny
has been retested and is showing no symptoms of this heart issue he still
needs the meds.

He lives a very happy, healthy life like any other normal cat (if you can
consider cats normal, lol).

When they go away I take care of Benny and he is as good for me w/the pill
taking. So if you have people cat sit, just make sure the cat knows them
very well.

If you don't mind I will forward your email address to my friend who has
Benny and she can probably answer any Q's for you better than I can.

LeeAnne

Old October 31st 03, 01:54 PM
Roby

turn man wrote:

My cat is being tested for HCM and I was wondering if there are any cat
owner's out there who have cats with this disease? If so can you tell me
what kind of lifestyle your cat leads and how old I can expect my cat to
live with the disease?

Thanks!

My Maine Coon male was diagnosed with HCM in May of 2000. He was six years
old then. He's been on 4mg of Diltiazem twice a day since, with ultrasound
checkups every 6-9 months. The only symptom of HCM he has ever shown is
the tell-tale heart murmur, which is still there but not worse. Otherwise,
he's fine: no coughing, etc. He's an inside-only cat, as are his two
fellow cats. Doc said cats can have long lives with HCM if properly
medicated. So far, so good over here.

Incidently, the vet who originally diagnosed HCM recommended a human-sized
dose of 30mg but said it would make Pooka drowsy and we'd be best off to
not begin the medication until the HCM got worse (!!!). I found another
vet. A compounding pharmacy makes up the kitty-sized dose in #4 gelcaps
that go down easily and don't make my pal into a zombie.

I hope your does as well!

Roby

Old October 31st 03, 07:41 PM
No One But Me

my 2 yr old male, Ashton, died of cardiomyopathy before he could even be
diagnosed. it was a very sad time.

Barbara

Old November 1st 03, 02:19 AM
rose ricciuto

My old cat (13 at the time) was diagnosed and the vet said to give him 1
baby aspirin every other day. He lived to be 16 and had to be euthanized
for geriatric intestinal problems unrelated to the cardiomyopathy. He
was active and loving to the end.