DYI Feliway diffuser

Old July 26th 03, 12:31 AM
Purplecat

Default DYI Feliway diffuser

Hi,

I'm thinking of ordering some of the Feliway diffuser refills from US as
they're not available (yet) in Australia. Can anyone tell me if it would be
possible to empty the contents into the vial of one of the household
"Ambipur" type diffusers (ie the supposedly nice smelling things people plug
into their houses to make 'em smell 'good'). I can't get a Feliway diffuser
from US (wrong voltage) and it's going to cost *waaaaaaaay* too much to
order one from UK (currency conversion issues).

Thanks,
Purplecat

Old July 26th 03, 05:54 AM
RBinCA

Purplecat wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of ordering some of the Feliway diffuser refills from US as
they're not available (yet) in Australia. Can anyone tell me if it would be
possible to empty the contents into the vial of one of the household
"Ambipur" type diffusers (ie the supposedly nice smelling things people plug
into their houses to make 'em smell 'good'). I can't get a Feliway diffuser
from US (wrong voltage) and it's going to cost *waaaaaaaay* too much to
order one from UK (currency conversion issues).

Thanks,
Purplecat

I wouldn't try it personally. It could possibly start a fire. Can you
get a voltage converter to power the diffuser at 120 vac 60 hz? If not I
suggest using the spray instead.

Old July 26th 03, 06:15 AM
Andr0meda

You don't have to wait for it to come from the USA. I got mine from my local
vet. Yet, it is only a spray.
Andr0,
Gold Coast of AU

u...

Old July 28th 03, 12:59 AM
Purplecat

Yeah I've got the spray. The problem is I'm going through almost a bottle a
week with the introduction of our new cat, so it's getting pretty expensive!
I tried cutting back on the amount of places I was spraying it each day
(bedding, scratching posts, furniture etc) and they started squabbling. It
really is helping so I want to keep going with it until they're fully
settled but it's seriously impacting on my funds. At least the diffusers
last 4 weeks or so.

Old July 28th 03, 01:24 AM
Purplecat

Great idea. And infact I've already spoken to the local manufacturers -
they said in a "few months". I'm actually hoping the cats have settled
enough not to actually need Feliway in a few months time. Then again I have
no idea how long introductions take - it's been about 6 weeks I think. We're
at the stage where they will sleep within a couple of feet of each other and
walk past each other with no particular fights or squabbles (there never was
any hardcore fighting fortunately), but they don't yet seem to particularly
seek out each others company. There was a *tiny* bit of mutual grooming
*once* in the early days of their introduction, and I guess I've kind of
held on to that in the hope that they will actually befriend each other
rather than just tolerate each other. When I ran out of Feliway a week or so
ago they started keeping their distance more and were sleeping on opposite
corners of the bed. I got some more and we're back to sleeping on the same
side of the bed within a couple of feet of each other, so it really does
seem to be helping. I feed them from different bowls but they will often eat
out of the same bowl to start off before I separate them, with no sign of
animosity or anything. Likewise they will play with the same toy without
animosity. But if they're near each other and facing each other without
distraction one of the will usually bop the other on the head or pounce on
them and it doesn't to me look particularly friendly. I'm assuming this is
them just figuring out who's in charge. But how long should I expect this
process to last? And is there anything more I can do at this stage to help?
I'm not worried because they do get along fine and hearing them tear around
the house together at night makes me feel that they do both benefit from
each others company - but if there's anything I can do that would improve
the chances of them bonding a bit more... Initially I was doing lots of
things like hand feeding them together and stuff. I've more or less stopped
this. Would it still be helpful? Any ideas from anyone?

(Resident cat = ~2 yo desexed fem; New cat = ~3 yo desexed fem. Both
adopted. Both from households with other cats & dogs)

Thanks,
Purplecat

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Purplecat at
wrote on 7/25/03 6:31 PM:

Hi,

I'm thinking of ordering some of the Feliway diffuser refills from US as
they're not available (yet) in Australia. Can anyone tell me if it would

be
possible to empty the contents into the vial of one of the household
"Ambipur" type diffusers (ie the supposedly nice smelling things people

plug
into their houses to make 'em smell 'good'). I can't get a Feliway

diffuser
from US (wrong voltage) and it's going to cost *waaaaaaaay* too much to
order one from UK (currency conversion issues).

Thanks,
Purplecat

I would not trust that to work correctly. I think I'd stick with spray if
the diffuser wasn't available rather than risk a mishap. Write to Farnam.
They can probably tell you when the diffuser becomes available there.

Karen

Old July 28th 03, 05:50 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Purplecat at
wrote on 7/27/03 7:24 PM:

[...]

I think they are doing well! Heck, it'll be a year in October and Pearl
still isn't completely comfortable and what's really bad is if she gets step
on or something (not even big, she really didn't even make a big deal of it)
Grant comes running and tries to attack her. I don't know what that is
about, I just try to make sure she doesn't get hurt! Most the time she just
makes noise if he is looking at her and he doesnt' do anything but look at
her any other time. Most do not take this long and as well as it sounds your
two are doing, I bet you will see a big improvement in the next six weeks.

Karen