What happens in a FIRE?

Old July 26th 03, 08:04 PM
news.verizon.net

Default What happens in a FIRE?

OK. I had the strangest dream last night. Bottom line is my house was
about to go up in flames with a fire smoldering within the walls. I went
looking for my cats and they were hovering at the bottom of the basement
stairs, looking up at me with those, well, you know, cat looks. (Well,
actually, it WAS a dream, and in the dream I seemed to also have a 4th
indoor cat, gray with white paws... but ANYway!).

I said to someone, IF ONLY I could figure out how to gather them all into
carriers & get them out of here...

So anyway, my question is... do people have fire plans as related to their
cats? In all honesty, I think my cats would be lost, since I can barely
'catch' them to go to the vet. (My thought is this dream was just feeding
into my anxiety about how I'm wondering if I will EVER be able to get the
newest cat, Sam, into a carrier to go to the vet....)

Just curious,
PattyC

Old July 26th 03, 08:43 PM
Niels Peter

news.verizon.net wrote:
[...]

We don't have any specific plans, but we have carriers evenly
distributed over the house, because the cats use them whenever they need
"privacy", so one shouldn't expect any problems getting the cats into
them.
But the trouble with cats in a fire is that they tend to hide under
furniture which is - on the other hand - why they often survive, since
the smoke concentration is not so high at floor level.
But I could easily imagine a situation where the best would be to get
all humans out of the house and let the firefighters find the cats. They
know the right technique, but of course they need to know there are cats
in the building.

--
Niels Peter
www.bluewhite.dk

Old July 26th 03, 09:55 PM
Livia1881

I've often thought about this same situation. Leaving the carriers out
sounds like a good idea. This lets the babies get used to being in them and
keeps them available in case they are needed. Right now both of our carriers
are put away in a closet. As for leaving the babies in the burning house and
letting the firemen find them, I don't think I could. I most likely be
looking for them right up to the last minute. Not a safe idea, but its the
only one I see myself doing.

Old July 26th 03, 09:58 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Niels Peter at
wrote on 7/26/03 2:43 PM:

news.verizon.net wrote:
[...]

Yes, sadly a fellow in another cat group had one cat and his house caught
fire. He couldn't find her and the fire flashed. He barely got out and she
died from smoke ((

Karen