Query: Fleas and Cat Behavior

Old August 18th 03, 08:39 PM
Kevin Benko

Default Query: Fleas and Cat Behavior

Yesterday was Fleaday.
We bathed our three cats and dusted/bombed the place. It was
approximately a 12-hour process.

I noted that one of the cats had considerably more fleas than the other
two. I have two guesses as to why, and I was wondering if anyone can
offer me a reality check on my two guesses.

All three cats are strictly indoor cats. The cat in question (LaNeige)
is a Cymric/long-haired-manx, the other two are domestic shorthairs.
LaNeige has one of those two-layers-of-fur things going on with the outer
layer being long, fine, and "puffy". He seems to be no less healthy than
the others. He does seem to be more floor-oriented, though. The other
two cats levitate onto kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, and everything
else-- whereas LaNeige spends most of his time on the floor. I think
it's a Manx thing.

My guesses are that it's either the fact that he hangs out on the carpet
where most of the fleas *were*, or the quality/quantity of his fur that
attracts more fleas than the other two.

Considering the time and effort my wife and I put into Fleaday, I would
like to think that the fleas are all gone (but we'll be doing a followup
dusting/bombing in a few weeks to make certain). But I do get curious as
to why things are the way they are, and am wondering if anyone could give
me any input?

Thank you, in advance.

--
Kevin Benko

I am posting in a public forum, please respond to me in a public forum.
Old August 19th 03, 12:25 AM
MaryL

"Kevin Benko" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. However, I am curious about
what product(s) you are using because you refer to "dusting/bombing." I
think you should also add either Advantage or Frontline. They are available
from your vet and will be much more effective than dusting. If you do this,
be sure to let your vet know what other products you used. You may need to
wait awhile before following with one of these products.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old August 19th 03, 02:16 AM
Cheryl

In k.net,
Kevin Benko composed with style:

Considering the time and effort my wife and I put into Fleaday, I
would like to think that the fleas are all gone (but we'll be doing
a followup dusting/bombing in a few weeks to make certain). But I
do get curious as to why things are the way they are, and am
wondering if anyone could give me any input?

Thank you, in advance.

No idea. But if the flea problem is that bad, I'd get him checked for
worms, too.

Old August 20th 03, 05:51 AM

"MaryL" wrote in message ...
"Kevin Benko" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

[snip]
%: Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. However, I am curious

about
%: what product(s) you are using because you refer to "dusting/bombing."

%: think you should also add either Advantage or Frontline. They are

available
%: from your vet and will be much more effective than dusting. If you do

this,
%: be sure to let your vet know what other products you used. You may

need to
%: wait awhile before following with one of these products.
[snip]

Product brand names aside[1], we used several room/carpet foggers, and
everywhere where we were not absolutely certain that the foggers would
"hit" we moved the furniture and tossed down some flea powder.

We don't plan to treat the critters unless we see more cooties, but we
will be treating the environment again.

[1]: I only mention specific brand names if there is a problem. If they
aren't paying me for mentioning their name, then they're all "Brand X"

--
Kevin Benko

I am posting in a public forum, please respond to me in a public forum.

I wasn't really looking for brand names, just an indication of whether you
had used anything other than dust and foggers. I was fairly certain you
hadn't because your message was pretty clear. My point is, have you looked
into Advantage or Frontline? Brand name isn't the point. The point is that
these products are systemic (but no damaging to the cat) and will provide
rapid and continuous protection, I think for about a month. They are
topical and only need to be administered once a month. I haven't used
Frontline but had excellent results from Advantage. In fact, I never had
another problem after two doses (two months) of Advantage. These products
are far more effective than dusting, and much safer than many other
products. Both of them kill fleas, and Frontline also kills flea eggs. The
tone of your message sounds like you have quite an infestation, so I thought
this might also help. As I said earlier, do be sure to tell your vet about
any other treatments (including dusting and flea collars) if you ask for a
prescription for one of these products. However, it appears that you didn't
treat the cats but only the environment.

Good luck!

MaryL

I have to concur...
Dusting and bombing are all well and good,
but NOTHING has worked for me for flea control like
Frontline! It is well worth the minor effort to use it.
I have 4 cats that get flea dermatitis really bad.
Bald spots and scabbing around the shoulders and tails,
and within 2 weeks after Frontline, (I had been using Advantage
in the past with marginal results)
all scabbing cleared up and not a single
cat has bald spots now. :-) Frontline also helps clear
up ear mites.

Hope that helps?

K.