steps for re-homing a cat

Old December 6th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

Default steps for re-homing a cat

"Maxine" wrote in message
7.102...
It wasn't a physical problem because the cats didn't have the behavior
before or after we had them. I don't want to try to dig too deeply into
the psychology of THOSE cats, but to understand the best strategy for
the next ones.

Thanks,
Maxine

It sounds to me like the cats are fine, but have a problem with something in
your environment. It could have been as simple as the placement of the
litter box, or the type of litter, or the number of litter boxes, or
something else.

There are any number of books and information on the Web about litter box
problems. Perhaps you will be able to figure out what it is in your
environment that caused the cats to react that way. Doing this detective
work on your part will help you be better prepared for any future cats you
may bring into your home.

Also, please understand that cats are individuals and there is no absolute
blanket formula that applies to them all. If you bring new cats into your
home, you may have not problems at all. But if you do, a little patience
and detective work to find out what the cats are telling you will help you
and your cats create the happy family you want.

You appear to be a caring person, and that is the most important thing. You
can find the information you seek.

Good luck.

Annie

Old December 9th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

bookie wrote:

Thanks. I will look for these books right away.

she has another one out at the minute called The Cat Counsellor or
similar,

Contains one of the funniest stories I've ever read (This year with
Dave in hospital I've made my own arrangements fro Xmas)
Spoiler warning...

She was called to deal with a cat who was no longer using her litter
box despite a previous unblemished record. The only thing she could
ascertain was that the family's dog had recently crossed the Bridge and
the family had rescued another dog they'd named "Ranger". They had
offered the dog a home as he had a previous history of interacting well
with cats but through at first dog and cat had existed happily the cat
had started to find odd corners to cr*p in all over the house.A vet
check revealed no problem to explain this...

Anyway she was taking the history and the slave had gone out to make a
cup of coffee and the little son of the slave informed her with great
solemnity that she shouldn't let Ranger lick her face because "He eats
the cats poo"

Sad fact. Dogs do this and what was happening was as the poor cat
(Sorry the books at work and I can't remember the name) was sitting
down to have a peaceful moment on the litter box and the dog was
standing there waiting for a warm, steaming treat! (UGH! Then again I
used to have rabbits and they produce two different turds. The first
one is partially digested and they eat that so they can extract
essential nutrients from it (I'd rather not think "Because they like
the taste") the second is as it were the final output). No wonder the
cat was trying not to use the box..

Apparently simple relocation of the box where the cat could have her
privacy and the dog couldn't reach her (I think they put the box in a
cupboard and fitted a cat flap and did have a couple of problems with
the dog still trying to get in and getting his head stuck)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Baby's first steps [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 June 28th 06 11:25 PM
Vino steps it up a notch! badwilson Cat anecdotes 4 August 1st 05 02:21 PM
Bonnie, the feral (baby steps) Cheryl Cat anecdotes 9 January 11th 05 09:29 AM
Homing Purrs Jeanette Cat anecdotes 68 May 13th 04 12:05 AM
Homing purrs needed Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 23 March 16th 04 04:49 AM