Hi from South Carolina USA (LONG)

Old February 1st 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jill[_2_]

Default Hi from South Carolina USA (LONG)

Hi folks! First things first - purrs to all who need them.

I'm using the computer at my parents' next door neighbors house. Her
little black kitty, Fedder, came in to say "hi" to me a little while
ago I sure do miss Persia and Peaches.

Developments: I arrived Monday night. Mom had neglected to tell me
she was having more than just problems dealing with Dad's dementia.
Apparently she'd been bleeding from a not so good place for almost a
week. Tuesday morning she said she had to go to the doctor. She went
and they sent her back home to pack a bag. She was admitted to the
hospital that day. Fortunately it's just a flare-up of her
diverticulosis (as opposed to 'itis'). She's on antibiotics and some
other medication. They might send her home today; tomorrow at the
latest.

Meanwhile she was worrying herself sick about me trying to handle Dad
by myself. I managed. He actually had a "good" day on Wednesday. He
was cheerful and talkative, even though I had no idea what he was
talking about half the time. (He still doesn't know who I am but
seems to accept me.) I got him to eat quite a bit that day.

Thursday was another story. I may have mentioned Mom hasn't been able
to get him to go to a doctor. Since he finished his chemo almost two
years ago he has consistently refused to even have a checkup. Hence,
he doesn't have a primary care physician (PCP). This creates a lot of
problems, as you will see.

Thursday morning he got up, put on his long john's, his jacket and his
shoes and insisted he had an appointment for bloodwork and a CAT
scan. I seized the opportunity to get him seen by a doctor. I called
one of their neighbors; he's a retired M.D. His wife came over and we
took Dad to the hospital in my folks' car. Her husband followed so he
could take her back home.

I got Dad in to see an ER doc, using the reason that he had fallen and
scraped himself up pretty badly last weekend (he had, but Mom couldn't
get him to get it looked at). I also indicated he has severe
dementia. My goal was to get him admitted so we could start the
process of placing him in a care facility. Mom can't handle him and
let's face it, I can't stay here forever. Everyone was just
wonderful, EXCEPT for the ER doc. When I was trying to explain what
was going on she said, "Is he in danger of falling again? Because
being confused is NOT an emergency." Excuse me?! Look at him, lady.
He can barely walk. He falls all the time. What do *you* think? I
was about in tears (I tend to cry when I get angry, isn't that weird?)
trying to get her to understand. I said look, if I take him back home
and he falls we'll just be right back here all over again. Would you
prefer to deal with him now or later? And as for him not having a
PCP, how can he have one if we can't get him to go to the doctor?
We're here now, dammit, so help me out.

At any rate, he was then seen by another physician (a psychiatrist, I
think) who admitted him for evaluation. This guy was much more
sensitive to what was going on. I talked with him and with a hospital
social worker about our options. Then I talked to Mom. We're in the
process of trying to get him placed in the Altzheimer's wing of the
nursing home in town. Don't know if there's a waiting list or not...
we haven't gotten that far yet. At this point it doesn't look like
he's coming back home Lord knows if he does I don't know how we'll
ever get him to leave again.

While he was still in the room in the ER waiting to be taken to his
room he got very agitated and was trying to leave. He was hooked to
all sorts of machinery but that didn't stop him. He tried to pull out
his catheter so he could put his pants on. They gave him a shot of
Haldol to calm him down but that didn't work. They finally gave him
something else (Ativan?) to knock him out.

This morning when I called they said he ate all his breakfast but then
he was trying to leave again. They had to put him in restraints. The
nurse assigned to him asked, "He seems confused; is he always like
this?" (sigh) What does the chart say? Of course he's always like
this.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I'll get the neighbor's cat Fedder to
purr for everyone who needs them. A few purrs for my parents and me
wouldn't hurt, either.

Jill
Old February 1st 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Hugs and purrs for all of you.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old February 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 1, 9:32*am, Jill wrote:
*Everyone was just
wonderful, EXCEPT for the ER doc.

Good to know they're just as bad over the water. When I finally got
Dave to hospital, the ER guy (a sleep deprived little bunny of an SHO)
took a look at his feet and back and said it was nothing that could
not be sorted out in the community. Seriously told me he'd get someone
in to start physio on Monday but not before as this was a Friday and
told Dave (who'd finally stopped hallucinating that he was watching
cartoon mice danicing to Die Fleidermaus on the telly when the telly
wasn't even on) he could stay for the weekend but as there might be a
bed shortage he might have to spend the weekend on the trolley or he
could be taken home that night and if I could be available on Monday
we could talk to social services/physiotherapy and start getting
things organised in the community. Well we were both by this point so
sleep deprived(He was delirious because of an infection, I was just
flu ridden and at my wits end) that we thought "Great it isn't that
serious" and opted for going home until Monday.

They couldn't get a two man crew so we were told Dave would have to
stay in hospital overnight but if I got back for 8am the next day then
an ambulance could bring him home. So they transferred him to a bed
and I just remember the nurse saying "Who the f**k in A&E didn't spot
that? I want them called now!"

The same day the doctors told me if he either deterioated or failed to
improve in the next 2-3 days he would be transferred to the ICU

*We're in the
process of trying to get him placed in the Altzheimer's wing of the
nursing home in town.

we're waiting to hear when Dave's dad will get a 1-2 placement in an
assessment unit as well.

. *A few purrs for my parents and me
wouldn't hurt, either.

A load of big loud rumbly purrs are coming at you

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 1st 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Hi Jill...welcome to the group.
I'm new here myself...
PURRS and prayers for you and your folks. My Dad 'went home' a year ago
last month. He was 82 and had dementia at the end. I live in Wa State, he
was in Colo and I could only talk to him on the phone.
Them I lost my Mom in late August 2007...I am handicapped, bad knees and
couldn't go back to say good-bye to either one..I was so saddened about
that.
Anyway, God bless your heart
PURRS and HUGS
Kyla
Kent, Wa.

"Jill"

Old February 1st 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I'll get the neighbor's cat Fedder to
purr for everyone who needs them. A few purrs for my parents and me
wouldn't hurt, either.

Jill

I'm glad you arrived safely and have Usenet access. Sending purrs for you
and your folks.

Dan
Old February 1st 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

Bless your heart Jill. I remember putting my father into a nursing home
and he didn't have dementia of any kind, he just couldn't take care of
himself and neither could I. It was hard. Doing all the paperwork,
taking care of the insurance, making sure he really was being taken care
of and all the crap that goes with being a good child taking care of
your parent in a loving way. It is just not a pleasant experience and I
am sorry you are going through it. I know that having parents in the
hospital is hard by itself and doing all the extra stuff you are doing
is tough. I wish you the strength to deal with it because it is a huge
stress and I hope you are doing all you need to take care of yourself.

Huge purrs on the way for you. Take very good care of yourself and if
you need to talk, email me and I will give you my phone number. My addy
is not munged.

Bridget

Old February 1st 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jill wrote:
we haven't gotten that far yet. At this point it doesn't look like
he's coming back home Lord knows if he does I don't know how we'll
ever get him to leave again.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Jill}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 1st 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Feb 1, 12:32*pm, Jill wrote:

Jill

snipped

{{{{{{{{{Jill, Persia, Peaches, Mom, Dad}}}}}}}}}

All may yet be very well. Or as well as it can be.

Will in New Haven

Old February 1st 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Jill wrote:
snip
Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I'll get the neighbor's cat Fedder to
purr for everyone who needs them. A few purrs for my parents and me
wouldn't hurt, either.

Jill

Purrs for you and your parents. It sounds like your mother is exhausted. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart