A "Job" for Ben - Fosterer?

Old December 4th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default A "Job" for Ben - Fosterer?

Ben loves our clowder as much as I do - in fact I think he has an infinite
amount of love to bestow on our furry companions. I proposed to him, this
morning, that he stop gathering outdoor strays into an outdoor clowder (we
have the perfect safe backyard, 6' wooden fence, one *very* large dog house
out of the wind with lots of hay inside and a smaller d*g house on the upper
deck for sunning when the weather is warmer, and a large, raised spa deck
that stays warm underneath all winter. Instead of feeding them and getting
emergency vet care only, I want him to take them, as soon after they come as
possible, to our no-kill shelter that I used to donate funds to when we had
the funds - I got three of my clowder (Percy(RB) and Da Boyz(tm)) from them
and have dealt with them a lot so I know they're reputable but have no space
for strays so they rely on fosterers. The bargain would be...

Bring them to SunSmart who will provide for the immediate, proper vet visits
and de-sexing, *but* also be put on the list as fosterers for cats waiting
for their forever home. I have to research it to make sure the program will
arrange to pay for the vet care and medications (we can manage buying *only*
the food, and don't know where we'll be after the 1st). We have the "off
limits" bedroom - it even has a door we ca put up with screening on the
bottom for integration process from when we were trying to add Hunter(RB) to
the clowder..

Ben has a truly amazing rapport with all animals, especially cats (another
reason I knew I would marry him, Bandit, Queen bitch cat of the entire
universe who would not tolerate *anyone* but me *LURVED* him from the moment
she met him). I think it would not only help all the little lost one, but
to *properly* care for the little lost one *AND* give Ben a chance to use
his very large, caring heart and feel *good* about his successes instead of
so bad when her loses each battle (as with Percy, Hunter, and Inky - all of
whom were found too late to save. The SunSmart people would, unfortunately,
have to deal with the ones who can't be saved (that takes a special type of
angel to be so giving and willing to be hurt).

So what do you guys think? I know there are a lot of people here who
foster. I can imagine the rewards, but what difficulties could we be
facing?

TIA for all you help, and know that I just don't have words that would
express my gratitude for all the comfort you've given us with your purrs,
prayers and love.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 5th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

To me, one of the biggest difficulties would be having to give them up after
having cared for them. If Ben can handle that, he would, indeed, be perfect
for the job.

--

Joy

Whoever could make two ears of corn or two blades of grass to grow upon a
spot of ground where only one grew before would deserve better of mankind
and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of
politicians put together.
- Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels

Old December 5th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

It all sounds fine but, the strays would still come, regardless of their
physical well being. some people are meant to do a certain job and that is
what the universe sends them. Any help you could get would be great.

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 5th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 15:26:15 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Same with me: I could never, ever foster a kitten.

I would never be able to give a kitten away.

But I certainly admire the many, many people who do this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old December 5th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

on th e plus side is getting the help to care for them, on the minus side is
that oddly it hurts even worse when you get the help and still lose them,
most of mine are the unwanted throw aways, and if we hadn't rehabilitated
them they would have ben sent to the bridge for the crime of not being
perfectly adoptable../ so/ if ben can know this going in and take the
failures as smaller timed success it could be a good thing, but otoh, i
never did fostering because they never quit coming to the backdoor long
enough for me to fill out any paperwork, the ones we got healthy we took to
the shelter or rehomed, Lee

Old December 5th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

After more interaction with Ben yesterday - even to rehashing some old
feelings about RB cats, I no longer think he could handle this job. He
really does just bury the pain so far inside that it seeps into his soul
along with all the hurts from childhood on, and only makes him bitter and
feel bad about himself. I never would have believed that, of the two of us,
that *I* would be emotionally stronger. Maybe it's because I *can* spew out
my every thought without actually thinking about it that makes it so.

Old December 5th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

and something i was thinking about is that some people can foster and rehab
in an orderly controlled fashion, i see what i do as acute care for the
unwanted... much like ben's little kitten, you KNOW you will not see the
being grow old, but you do know it deserves love for the time it is here, in
many ways i am sure there is a huge need for foster's in a general way, but
in another way, if i can give a few hours of comfort to one who otherwise
would never know it, that does more for the world in general and i know it
does for me... Lee

Old December 6th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Reckon that solves quite a few problems at once, from a number of
perspectives.

ie, Go for it!

Yowie