How declawing saved my cat's life and gave him 6 more years (and counting)

Old November 26th 03, 04:35 PM
Luvskats00

"Wendy"
writes
.... I have heard of other cats apparently doing
fine after a declaw. The problem is I've heard of declawed cats who have
larger problems because of the declaw then the owner would have had if they
hadn't done it. My niece adopted a declawed cat who had one toe that just

wouldn't heal///

...the problem I had with the poster is apparently no
effort was made to adjust the scratching behavior before the :kitty ended up

declawed.

Evidently, you and I (and a very large group of people who are informed about
the issue) support the no-declaw position and believe of the horrific cruelty
of the procedure. However, there is another very large group of people who do
not yet believe or are unaware of the steps constituting a declaw and that is
is perceived/it is cruel and inhumane. Both groups are cat lovers and both
groups do much to improve the lives of strays, cats waiting for adoption,
and/or family pets.

Unlike those who own show dogs or pedigreed pets where the breeds routinely
promote/expect the ear cropping/tail bobbing. Logic would dictate the absurdity
of this practice, ....you might think?!!!!! Those who believe declaw is not
dangerous or cruel may not know that it involves the amputation of a body part.
Some - many may truly believe (if they think about it) that only the nail is
removed.

Obviously, more education/promotion is recommended to get the word out. There
are many people (who have good intentions) who post here with some unbelievable
things. For example, a few days ago, someone wondered if it was cruel to
"neuter" their 7 year old female cat. While the answer would seem to be obvious
to a significant number of people - and perhaps viewed as a ridiculous question
(the answer being...go ahead and spay your cat...prevent ovarian
cancer...etc.), it's not obvious to us all.

As far, the cat (described above) who went through a declaw and came out with a
toe that would never heal. Was that a botched job to blame on the
veterinarian? If so..that issue should be covered. But, with that issue aside,
the behavior of a cat who is going/went through a specific procedure, sickness
or circumstance and comes out the other side a changed cat...maybe more factors
that the procedure/sickness/circumstance might be involved...a secondary cause
- joined with the primary cause - might be to blame.

Old November 26th 03, 04:44 PM
Iso

As I have already indicated, I am not advocating the procedure. I am
indicating that I am elated that the cat has a home, and is allegedly taken
care of by the owner. It's not on the street and it's not waiting in cage at
a shelter like the one you work in, or humane society to be adopted. Just
because you have, "a lot" of declawed cats at your shelter doesn't indicate
that this particular cat will end up in a shelter because of being declawed.
There are a number of cats that adapt to the procedure and live a regular
life. This may be the exception.

Old November 26th 03, 04:50 PM
Cat Protector

You know your words do not phase me. Declawed cats do not have claws. All
they could really do is paw but not scratch. I have to wonder if you are one
of those people who are pro-declaw.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Luvskats00" wrote in message

It's amusing to read your misguided rant "you could have matched the lack

of
brain power and reasoning you seem to have.". For the record, declawed

cats do
use the scratching post. Do a google search on that and kneading. Get

back to
us, sometime.

Old November 26th 03, 04:52 PM
Cat Protector

Actually the numbers who don't declaw are much higher than you think. I
don't think there is any excuse to declaw a cat no matter how much you try
to sugar coat the reasons behind the procedure.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Iso" wrote in message
m...
Cat Protector,

You are presuming that a majority of cat owners subscribe to the idea
that declawing is mutilation. Regrettably they don't. Regardless of how
horrifying the procedure may be, there are a number of first time cat

owners
that don't understand the notion of training a cat not to scratch, or

using
a scratching post. It's an unfortunate situation, but as I stated in my
earlier post; I'm happy that the cat cannot be counted as a statistic in

an
already overloaded shelter or humane society and that the cat has a home,
not a cage.

Old November 26th 03, 05:05 PM
Iso

Understandably so, but who is to say that the cat wont be taken care of? I
am presuming that since the cat has been in the ownership of the poster for
six and a half years, that he or she has become somewhat attached to the cat
and wouldn't "dump" the animal because of the reasons you indicated. I don't
essentially agree with declawing. There are statistics that are being
compiled by the local University (in my area) regarding how many felines are
declawed yearly, opposed to how many declawed cats turn up in shelters and
the humane society on a yearly basis. The University is doing this research
in an unbiased manor as a pledge to community service. Since there are so
many people that are against the procedure of declawing, the hope is to
finally have a resolution on the subject (in my area). These are due to be
published soon. I'll email you when they become available.