Picky eater

Old July 17th 04, 12:40 PM
Paul O.

Default Picky eater

How do you best handle a very picky eater. My little buddie was a dry food
eater till his problems of a few weeks ago. Since then have been able to get
him to eat can food. Started him on Iams and he only would eat the chicken
and turkey. He would have nothing to do with any of the other flavors. Now
he just wants the chicken, turns his nose up at the turkey. What to do if
and when he decides he doesn't want the chicken anymore? This is getting
ridiculous. I'm sitting here this morning with a cat that won't leave me
alone cause he is hungry, I assume, and all there is, is turkey till we go
to the store this morning. AAARRRRRGGGG! Definitely not a kitty experienced
person.

--
Paul O.

Old July 17th 04, 12:57 PM
.oO rach Oo.

I feel your pain! My two kitties are picky like that as well. My advice is,
just get what he wants. It's not worth the aggro. We've started getting a
can or two of different flavours each time we go to the pet store and
tracking it on a chart. The brand we get seems to have every variety under
the sun. Since neither cat like left overs, it has to be the small tins,
three times a day - which they share half each. Keep a chart with which ones
he likes... maybe mixing it a bit with one you know he likes and see what
happens. By now I'm sure you realized you're no longer the boss, right?
Good luck!

--
rach

om...

Old July 17th 04, 01:19 PM
Paul O.

".oO rach Oo." wrote in message
I feel your pain! My two kitties are picky like that as well. My advice

is,
just get what he wants. It's not worth the aggro. We've started getting a
can or two of different flavours each time we go to the pet store and
tracking it on a chart. The brand we get seems to have every variety under
the sun. Since neither cat like left overs, it has to be the small tins,
three times a day - which they share half each. Keep a chart with which

ones
he likes... maybe mixing it a bit with one you know he likes and see what
happens. By now I'm sure you realized you're no longer the boss, right?
Good luck!

--
rach

OOOHHHHH YEEAH!, my cat is 5 yrs. old. Learned sometime ago who was the

boss. LOL
--
Paul O.

Old July 21st 04, 01:08 PM
IBen Getiner

Subject: Picky eater

reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!newsfee
d.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!newsfeed.cwix.com!pr odigy.com!newsmst01a.new
s.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!p
ostmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr29.news.prodigy .com.POSTED!aed9806e!not

-for-mail
From: "Paul O."
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

FXZ_D[BFNTCNVPDTNTKHWXKB@X^B_OCJLPZ@ET_O[G\XSG@E\G[ZKVLBL^CJINM@I_KVIOR\T_
M_AW_M[_BWU_HFA_]@A_A^SGFAUDE_DFTMQPFWVW[QPJN
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:40:56 GMT

How do you best handle a very picky eater. My little buddie was a dry food
eater till his problems of a few weeks ago. Since then have been able to get
him to eat can food. Started him on Iams and he only would eat the chicken
and turkey. He would have nothing to do with any of the other flavors. Now
he just wants the chicken, turns his nose up at the turkey. What to do if
and when he decides he doesn't want the chicken anymore? This is getting
ridiculous. I'm sitting here this morning with a cat that won't leave me
alone cause he is hungry, I assume, and all there is, is turkey till we go

Your cat is running you when you should be running him. When he gets hungry
enough, he'll eat. I've even heard-tell that cats will eat soggy food that has
been sitting in water for days. You'll figure it out.

IBen Getiner

From: "Paul O."
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old July 21st 04, 09:11 PM
CatNipped

"Paul O." wrote in message . com...
How do you best handle a very picky eater.

There is nobody on earth as "pussy" whipped as I am by my four
fur-babies, but I have to say this is one area where I put my foot
down (as I did with my non-furry kids). I give them the food that is
best for them, no junk food at ALL! If they don't eat that, they go
hungry, and believe me, they won't voluntarily go hungry for long.

When my daughter was very small I used to worry about her being so
tiny and not eating, no matter what I offered her. So, I went to my
peditrician for help. My peditrician told me, and I quote, "In my 27
years of practice I have never seen a healthy child, when offered
food, deliberately starve himself to death. Offer her nutritious food
and nothing else and eventually she will eat." I did, she did, and
she has never had a health problem or an eating disorder since.

The same holds true for cats. They're great actors, will make you
think they're starving to death and will only revive if you give them
what they like, but, if they're healthy, they will not deliberately
starve themselves to death. Determine for yourself the most
nutirtionally sound food for your cat, offer that and only that, then
just sit back and wait until the cat decides that going hungry is not
going to get it what it wants.

I once read a story of a cat who was trapped in a house after a family
moved and left him and he survived for over a month be eating bird
seed!!! If a cat will eat bird seed to survive, I'm sure they'll
resign themselves to eating something that's good for them.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatMom to:
Bandit, (a.k.a. "Bitch Cat From Hell"), 14, DLH Tabby
Demi, (a.k.a. "Ghost Cat"), 5, DLH Pure White Beauty
Jessie, (a.k.a. "Jet Ski"), 4, DSH Tortoiseshell
Samantha / Sammy, (a.k.a. "Mini Me"), 2 ½ months, DLH Tabby

http://www.gcmensa.org/Cats.html (Jessie, Demi, Bandit)
http://www.gcmensa.org/Sammy/ (Sammy)
http://www.gcmensa.org/Sammy2/ (All my fur babies)