Pet urns (kinda off topic)

Old November 4th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Pet urns (kinda off topic)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:09:43 -0400, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
wrote:

Has anyone looked at urns for their dearly departed cats (or dogs)? OMG!!
Talk about ripping you off when you're vulnerable!! I looked at some for
$500.00!!!!!! I was tempted to call them and bitch them out for their
stinkin' prices. I did settle on a walnut colored box that has a ceramic
Basset Hound on top. There's a brass plate on the front for engraving.
Even this one cost $125.00!! It's definitely worth it to me, and I'm glad I
am able to afford it. I just can't believe these places and their prices.
It's absolutely horrendous!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

My Mother is 88 years old. It is her desire to be cremated, when the
time comes.

Since my Father was a WWII veteran, she is entitled to be buried in the
local National Cemetery, with him. He died in 1980

She has already chosen a fairly plain wooden box for her 'cremains'.

Since it will be buried, rather than displayed, it is a fairly plain,
painted wooden box. I believe she said it cost about $20., when she
bought it about 10 years ago.

The funeral industry, even for pets, is as corrupt and greedy as any in
the world.

They try to take advantage of people who are extremely vulnerable, and
perhaps not able to make good decisions.

I handled a lot of my Father's arrangements, and one man repeatedly
tried shoving documents in my face, in an attempt to get me to sign for
expensive services. He would say 'I need you to sign these forms', and
then would get upset when i insisted on reading them.

I repeatedly took them from him, and tore them up, and threw them away.

I tried to have him removed from the room, repeatedly, but it turned out
he was the owner of the funeral home.

So, the phrase 'Just shut the **** up, Shylock' was also repeatedly
heard.

I am under no obligation to be polite to money grubbing, lying ass****s,
who are trying to exploit me, and my poor widowed Mother.

Sometime about 5 years after my Father died, my state enacted new laws
to try to 'protect' people from dishonest funeral directors.

But, if they can get you to sign a legal document, by lying and saying
it is for 'transport of the body', when it is REALLY for thousands of
dollars of unwanted services, legally, you are bound to pay, unless you
can prove in court, weeks or months later, that you were defrauded.

Usually, it is only your word against theirs.

My Father taught me NEVER to sign ANTHING, without reading it first.

A valuable lesson that I'm glad I did not forget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

"Life without cats IS only marginally worth living."
-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein

Old November 4th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
Has anyone looked at urns for their dearly departed cats (or dogs)? OMG!!
Talk about ripping you off when you're vulnerable!! I looked at some for
$500.00!!!!!! I was tempted to call them and bitch them out for their
stinkin' prices. I did settle on a walnut colored box that has a ceramic
Basset Hound on top. There's a brass plate on the front for engraving.
Even this one cost $125.00!! It's definitely worth it to me, and I'm glad
I am able to afford it. I just can't believe these places and their
prices. It's absolutely horrendous!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

eBay usually has a selection of memorial urns for pets--much cheaper than
that.

MaryL

Old November 4th 10, 10:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 4, 2:48*am, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:

I am under no obligation to be polite to money grubbing, lying ass****s,
who are trying to exploit me, and my poor widowed Mother.

Many years ago our next door neighbour died- she had never married so
her family comprised a sister and her nephew who lived in the North of
England and as her sister wasn't in the best of health they asked my
mum if she could organise the funeral for them. The lady who died had
stipulated in her will that she wanted a basic funeral so my mum bore
that in mind. She walked out of the first undertaker's she went to
after the guy assumed she was organising a funeral for her mother and
when she asked to see the cheapest coffin they had tried to
emotionally blackmail (he said things like "Surely you love your
mother enough to give her the best" and "People will think you don't
care about your own mother if her coffin isn't just that bit special")
into buying something more expensive

She said it didn't affect her at all but she could imagine it might
work on someone who was grieving and not at their best emotionally

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 4th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

I ended up getting this one. 'Had to get the 'medium one' ($113.00 plus
shipping). I chose the Walnut finish and the engraving on front says:

HAPPY
"My Biggest Boy"
In Loving Memory
5-4-97 to 11-1-10

http://www.peturncatalog.com/catalog...aa48318b1c0d5d

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

Old November 4th 10, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Just my little tale on this subject.
I had Jazz cremated when he went to the RB. The cost of the entire procedure
was $250 including a beautiful wooden box with a brass plate in front with
his name JAZZ on it. It now sits in its place of honor on the mantelpiece.
He will go with us wherever we go too.

Lily & her mama

"Yowie" wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
Has anyone looked at urns for their dearly departed cats (or dogs)?
OMG!! Talk about ripping you off when you're vulnerable!! I looked at
some for $500.00!!!!!! I was tempted to call them and bitch them out for
their stinkin' prices. I did settle on a walnut colored box that has a
ceramic Basset Hound on top. There's a brass plate on the front for
engraving. Even this one cost $125.00!! It's definitely worth it to me,
and I'm glad I am able to afford it. I just can't believe these places
and their prices. It's absolutely horrendous!!!

Thatsd just gouging folks.

There are plenty of containers that will do the job of an urn. There are
even urns that aren't 'urns for the dead' that are available. Its just a
matter of looking. Pottery places, and of all places, garden wholesalers,
have great urns, and no $500 price tag either.

Shmoggleberry's & Fluffy's ashes (each cost $150 to cremate) came in a
sealed plastic bag, placed in a tastefully decorated cardboard box. The
boxes 'live' in my wardrobe - I dont' want to put them in an urn in case
someone or more likely somecat knocked them off and spilt the contents.
Joel wants to sprinkle Fluffy's ashes on the veggie garden, but I want the
ashes kept with us wherever we go. I also can't imagine *splitting* the
ashes so that half goes ont eh veggie patch and half stays with us. that
somehow seems.... wrong. I know logically that its just dust and it
doesn't matter, and yet.... well, you folks udnerstand.

Yowie

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old November 4th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Nov 3, 6:04*pm, "Granby" wrote:
When I needed such a thing, I found a pretty basket with a lid and put the
bag with the ashes in it until I did something with them. *A neighbor used a
metal "Milk Bone" can she got around Christmas for her poodle dog. *There
are many thins that work and maybe have more meaning than the fancy ones

Fritzie's ashes were returned to us in a plain but very handsome
rosewood box, and Odessa-Doll's in a pretty black tin with little
flowers painted around it. We commited their ashes to running water,
as is Sikh custom, returning the last earthly remains to Nature after
the soul has ascended. In Fritzie's box we put the rose petals from
the bouquet the vet sent. Odessa received a mixed bouquet, so we put
one of each type of flower or plant included in the bunch. In
Fritzie's, we also placed the ornament our vet made of his paw print;
in Dolly's, the green collar she wore when she came to us and one of
her favorite toys, a nice natural-bristle makeup brush.

When Sabrina goes, we will have her cremated with her beloved wool
pieces she still likes to sleep on.

Louie has an unusual last request, and one which will land me in jail.
He wants his ashes put into a barrel-shaped receptacle and put over
Niagara Falls! I told him only if he does it for me too.

Blessed be,
Baha
Old November 4th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:

Has anyone looked at urns for their dearly departed cats (or dogs)? OMG!!
Talk about ripping you off when you're vulnerable!! I looked at some for
$500.00!!!!!! I was tempted to call them and bitch them out for their
stinkin' prices. I did settle on a walnut colored box that has a ceramic
Basset Hound on top. There's a brass plate on the front for engraving.
Even this one cost $125.00!! It's definitely worth it to me, and I'm glad I
am able to afford it. I just can't believe these places and their prices.
It's absolutely horrendous!!!

At those kinds of prices you could probably commission a custom piece
from a local ceramics artisan or woodworker and possibly have a
one-of-a-kind. The trick, of course, is to find them, but they're
definitely out there.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old November 4th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

We buried Bandit, Hunter, and Percy* in our back yard (with Percy, we had to
ask the permission of the previous owner since they weren't due to move out
for a couple of weeks - she was really nice about it and even came out and
held hands with us and offered a prayer for his departed soul (she and her
husband were both ministers.0). I did this thinking that we would live out
the rest of our lives here and be close enough to just walk outside and
visit their little gravestones (not to be facetious, but my son thinks
that's creepy in a Stephan King's "Pet Cemetery" sort of way). Back then I
would never have dreamed we'd ever have to give up the house and leave them
behind.

* We had Percy for only a very, very short time. He was being fostered by
the "SunSmart" no-kill shelter that sets up inside of PetsMart - as we
walked by he stuck out his way between the bars of his cage to tap on my
arm. He was a classically beautiful Persian, and the ladies there said they
thought he was about 3 years old. We brought him to the vet for a clean
bill of health before we even brought him into the house and clowder, and
the vet said that he'd be willing to bet that Percy was more like 15 or 16
years old.

The adoption ladies said that he was kept as a "stud" in a horrendous
backyard breeder, in a small cage that they only let him out of to put him
into a female cat in heat (and those hands did no petting or caressing, just
rough handling as he was thrown into the cage of the female. He was so
adapted to his "life" in the cage that he found it hard to walk around
outside of it. He kept crouched down when he walked and had agoraphobia -
large, unbound places were terrifying to him, and he had *NO* idea what it
meant to just play. DH and I made complete fools of ourselves, dancing and
laughing and clapping, when he finally tried tapping a jingle ball across
the floor and then chased after it - probably the first time he had ever run
in his long but utterly miserable existence.

Less than two months later he had kidney failure. Constant subcutaneous
hydration might have kept him alive for a few more weeks, but those weeks
would be lived in constant pain. So, after the vet hydrated him, we brought
him home, gently playing with him when he was up for it, smothering him with
love and pettin's and skritches until he started going downhill again
quickly. Then we brought him back to the vet to give him one last gift -
freedom from the pain, and a infinite universe in which to run and play and
be happy until we come to join him. In spite of how much as it hurt us, and
for such a small amount of time, I'm still glad that we adopted him and, for
his last days, showed him what it was like to feel the love and joy of being
a part of a real family. That was almost 7 years ago and Ben still has a
picture of him in a cat-themed picture frame with his collar hung over the
top right collar (in fact, right next to a hand-weaved "leaf" with a rose
taken from his father's casket attached to it.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 4th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
Has anyone looked at urns for their dearly departed cats (or dogs)?
OMG!! Talk about ripping you off when you're vulnerable!! I looked at
some for $500.00!!!!!! I was tempted to call them and bitch them out for
their stinkin' prices. I did settle on a walnut colored box that has a
ceramic Basset Hound on top. There's a brass plate on the front for
engraving. Even this one cost $125.00!! It's definitely worth it to me,
and I'm glad I am able to afford it. I just can't believe these places
and their prices. It's absolutely horrendous!!!

Those prices are an outrage. Why can't you use your own Urn? Have someone
make one for you out of wood.

You make it sound so easy. I don't know a wood carver or wood worker. I
don't know a single person who could make an urn.

Jill

Old November 4th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

Those prices are an outrage. Why can't you use your own Urn? Have someone
make one for you out of wood.

You make it sound so easy. I don't know a wood carver or wood worker. I
don't know a single person who could make an urn.

If there are local non-chain art supply or craft stores, they may be
able to refer you to artisans or art guilds with more information.
Second-hand book shops may have information, as may independently owned
and operated coffee shops or tea houses. Farmers' markets are out of
season, but art and craft shows aren't.
There may also be the option of having a tag custom engraved and
attaching it to a small jewelry or keepsake box, which doesn't require
knowing anyone at all - virtually every online store that sells tags
will do custom engraving.