broken front leg

Old October 31st 03, 11:46 PM
Mary

"Siobhan Nearey" wrote in message
om...
Hi all!

..

The vet's new advice is to keep Cookies in a cage 24 hours a day, so
she can't move around and damage her foot. All my friends and I

think
this is cruel and very bad for the cat overall.

Do what the vet says to do. It won't be for long, and the cat will not
be crippled for life this way, and your friend can avoid expensive
surgery.

Old November 1st 03, 05:43 AM
William Hamblen

On 2003-10-31, Siobhan Nearey wrote:

The vet's new advice is to keep Cookies in a cage 24 hours a day, so
she can't move around and damage her foot. All my friends and I think
this is cruel and very bad for the cat overall.

Cage the cat. The animal will tolerate being caged better than being
trussed up in some sling. You can cuddle the cat as much as you want.
It is crueler to allow the animal to reinjure its leg.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

Old November 1st 03, 05:43 AM
William Hamblen

Old November 1st 03, 06:38 PM
Siobhan Nearey

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! It means a lot to hear so many
of you saying that caging the cat is the best answer. I can tell that
my friend doesn't really get a good vibe from the vet she's being
going to, so it was hard to know about this advice. I'm hoping she'll
start going to my vet, who is fantastic, and then we'll all be more
confident about getting answers we're comfortable with.

Thanks again! And cuddles from Cookies to all of you! (My 3 cats
send cuddles too - just because they're friendly sorts.

Thanks! Happy & healthy kitties to all!

Siobhan

Old November 1st 03, 07:15 PM
MaryL

"Siobhan Nearey" wrote in message
om...
I can tell that
my friend doesn't really get a good vibe from the vet she's being
going to, so it was hard to know about this advice. I'm hoping she'll
start going to my vet, who is fantastic, and then we'll all be more
confident about getting answers we're comfortable with.

Siobhan

In addition to what you have said ...it is always a good idea to get a
second opinion on something as serious as this.

MaryL

Old November 3rd 03, 09:46 AM
John McCabe

On 31 Oct 2003 11:30:04 -0800, (Siobhan Nearey)
wrote:

Hi all!

A friend of mine has a cat with a broken front leg. Cookies has been
in a cast for a few weeks, but the vet just checked her out again and
the leg isn't getting better. The vet says the problem is that
Cookies is still running and jumping around and putting weight on the
foot. The vet recommended surgury, but my friend can't afford it.

The vet's new advice is to keep Cookies in a cage 24 hours a day, so
she can't move around and damage her foot. All my friends and I think
this is cruel and very bad for the cat overall.

It would more than likely be for a max of 6 weeks. Do you want the
cat's leg to heal or do you want it to be crippled?

I'm thinking we could just pull her leg up to her side and maybe wrap
a bandage around her to keep the leg there.

So you're a vet now? How do you plan to get the leg into that position
without putting strain on the cat's joints (given that the cast will
more than likely have to remain on)?

Any advice? Thanks in advance for your help!

We had our cat in a cage for 4 weeks with a broken pelvis around 10
and a half years ago - it was traumatic a the time for all of us, but
he made a full recovery in that 4 weeks and has been fine ever since.

As an aside - tell your friend to get insurance - it's not that
expensive and their would no longer be an issue about getting the best
possible care for her pet (in this case, surgery, if that is what the
vet recommends).

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'