Broken hearted

Old September 1st 04, 11:07 PM
Sherry

Ex-owner says se wants to
be outside---I do not and will not allow that.

Oh, man, that sounds familiar. I've already posted to you about my son's cat.
This is *exactly* what the deal is with him. I don't let him out here because
he isn't familiar with my house and might get lost. He is allowed to go outside
at home. So he turns into the cat from hell. He's a perfect gentleman at home.
It would be good if there was a nice, adults-only, rural home she could go to
and have outdoor access for a couple hours a day. Poor Emma. And poor you. I
hope you're able to come to a good solution for both of you.

Sherry

Have had cats for 50
yrs---hate for them to go outside----Has been given good vet care---no
illnesses---nothing---I don't think this is fair to Mimi she was in my
lap one hour and kissing---loving me. What have I got myself into.
Thank you guys so much. Joan
self

Old September 1st 04, 11:11 PM
Mary

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

Good luck. You are kind to take these cats in. It was very unfair if the

previous owner knowingly kept from you information that you need to know
about this cat's behavior.

Not to mention, why the hell did the previous owner keep the *&$% cat for 16
years and

A) not rectify the bad behavior and
B) give the cat up!

Old September 1st 04, 11:18 PM
Mary

wrote in message
In searching for the best cat info--picked your group. I am sitting

here, bloody-hurt-- and oh so sad.

I just wanted to say that I am really sorry the cat hurt your mother and
that you are getting all of this grief instead of the joy that rescuing cats
can bring. You clearly are a loving, good cat mom and you deserve better. I
have never dealt with a truly vicious animan--just a REALLY MEAN one that
loved me and so usually pulled her "punches," so to speak. I imagine it
feels like a slap in the face. Poor kitty, too, who knows what she has been
through to make her that way. I agree with you that she should not be let
out if you live in an area where cars travel through. If you must rehome her
as a barncat via a shelter, or even if you must return her to a death
sentence, you cannot risk injury to you, your mother, or your other loved
ones. I hope someone here can help you to find a solution.

Old September 1st 04, 11:24 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

I adopted 2 beautiful short hair girls. They were due to be put down .
Owner did not tell me one is unbelievable.

Maybe she wasn't - with her owner.
You are a stranger. No matter how long you've had her, until she trusts you,
you're a stranger.

I have only seen 1 trully
visous(sp) cat in my life.

Haven't met my Rowan. *g*
Lovely cat. To me.
Has big red letters that say I BITE on her vet chart.

Well the battle started when we brought them
to their new home- Separate carrying cases---all the best---my 90 yrs
old Mom went to round up Hell cat.

Why?
Round up from where?
Did she corner a terrified cat and expect it not to lash out?

She attached. Ok--I forgave--new
everything etc. Next time someone let her out

Let her out where? Outside, or out of a room?
Where was she?

the help of a big man I got her back inside.

Why did she need to go "back inside"?
Did she get outside the house?

A few bites drew
blood---Okay, today had to gently put flea collor on---all hell broke
loose.

Again, why a collar?
The neck is the most sensitive thing for an animal. Many animals will bite if
you touch their necks if they don't know and trust you. Grabbing a cat by the
scruff or any part of the neck is either dominance, discipline, or an attack
to their way of thinking. Only ultra-domesticated and VERY trusting cats will
quietly allow a strange, non-trusted human to handle them and put something
around their neck.
Think about what you are doing - from the cat's POV.

A few fleas on her is preferable to destroying your chance at earning her
trust. Leave off the meds she doesn't absolutely HAVE to have (all,
hopefully) until she trusts you. Handling her roughly, which I assume must be
done to subdue her to medicate her, would reduce her trust even more.

have done everything I know to win her over

Have you left her alone?

We need a lot more info here to really be of help.
How long has she been with you?
How old is she?
Where does she usually stay? (in a room, outside, in the basement, huddled in
a favorite corner...?)
Have you given her time to adjust by just leaving her alone and letting her
come to you? Or have you always tried to approach her?

Many cats don't like or trust strangers. My girls would have a fit if I
dumped them at a strange house and then the human there tried to pick them
up. My boy Jeffrey would be scared, but probably love you anyway. Rowan would
flay you to pieces with teeth and claws. Isis would flay you accidentally as
she tried to flee out of your arms, but probably wouldn't hurt you on
purpose.

Is there some reason you feel the need to approach her? Why can't she live
with you, free from being approached at all until such time as she chooses to
initiate it? I don't know enough about your situation to know these answers,
so please give us more details. As much as you can. The more you tell us, the
more we can help.

In the meantime, a few helpful hints on how to get my Rowan to allow you (a
stranger) to touch her, in the hopes that it might give you some insight with
your new girl.
1. Don't ever move towards her. Let her come sniff you. It may take awhile.
Like, hours. If you move towards her, you're done for the day. She'll take
off and go hide and won't come out until you're gone.
2. Don't look right in her eyes.
3. Don't talk loudly, don't move suddenly.
4. Don't EVER try to pick her up or restrain her in any way.
5. DO offer her food.
6. When offering food, toss it in her general direction, but not AT her.
Don't expect her to take it from you. She won't.
7. DO speak softly and in a higher-than-normal tone of voice to her, much
like you would to an infant. Kissy noises optional. *grin*
8. DO bring out the flashy kitty ribbon toy, but don't try to grab her as
soon as she decides it's okay to play with it. Just play and then leave her
be. Don't try to touch her right away.

It took my Mom 4 hours to get the cat to sniff her foot.
It took the little neighbor boy 5 minutes (for the foot-sniffing thing) when
she was outside on lead. Why? Because he was busy playing - ignoring her. She
was interested in his ball and not threatened in any way. As soon as he tried
to pet her, though, that was it. She moved off. Had he remained still, she
might have gotten even closer.

Don't give up on your girl. She doesn't understand what's happened. She's
only doing what she feels she must. So, it's up to you to find out why she
feels she must, then go about winning her over HER way. Like humans, cats are
unique beings. It may take weeks for her to trust you enough to sniff you now
- be patient.

I hope everything works out for all of you.

~kaeli~
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take
it too seriously."
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace