Mom [OT]

Old March 31st 04, 04:05 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old March 31st 04, 05:49 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:13:52 GMT, Tanada wrote:

David Yehudah wrote:

That's when I had my first heart attack. They carried me out of the
classroom on a stretcher into a waiting ambulance, and the kids were
celebrating.

The little b*ggers were probably already planning the grief they were
going to give the sub. I hope they gave the kids grief instead. You
made them work, Dave, and some kids are totally lazy no matter what you
do.

My first year as a sub, I covered Spanish (of which I speak nada) at a
year around school, for seven weeks. The original teacher had to quit
the second week of school due to family illness, and none of the subs
they had lasted longer than a week. I told the kids that there were
several ways I'd leave them. On a stretcher, by getting fired, or when
they finally got a good replacement who was going to finish out the year.

The third replacement teacher they brought in was from Costa Rica and on
an international teacher's exchange. In short, she couldn't quit. I
went back to working for different teachers at that school as well as
others. The students celebrated when they learned that the new teacher
would be taking over the next day. I was too mean, and had made them
work (I was usually one lesson ahead of them) and was harder than was fair.

This doesn't really relate, but reminds me of the Latin teacher I had.
I don't know how many languages he spoke, but it really impressed us
that he wrote our textbook. He also went over to one of the other high
schools to teach Latin there. Anyway, he had a heart attack and died
in the classroom (not duing my class, thank goodness).

At first they just had other language teachers come in on their free
periods. BORING, just sort of a study hall where we translated stuff
out of the text book. Then they brought in a young teacher, who pretty
much did what it sounds like you did. She stayed a couple lessons
ahead of us, and the class. The classes were fun, as she made an
effort to make it fun. They never did find anyone qualified to teach
Latin, so it was dropped.

The Costa Rican teacher had a fit when she learned that she couldn't use
corporeal punishment on those who acted up, tried to turn the creative
writing class into a spanish creative writing class, and was able to
work with difficulty with the students.

A month or so later I was working at the same school for another
teacher. A bunch of kids came up to me during the course of the day and
told me that they really wished I was back there teaching the class.
Not only couldn't they understand what she was saying, but she was
making them work harder than I had, had given most of them detention,
and had failed most of them on a test she'd given because they couldn't
spell the words correctly. I just smiled. One of the students told me
that I was strict but fair, and that the new teacher wasn't fair, just
strict.

Pam S.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 31st 04, 06:06 AM
Cathi

In message , Kreisleriana
writes
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:32:18 +0100, Cathi
yodeled:

In message , Adrian
writes
Cathi wrote:
Anyone else get ticked off if their name is shortened beyond where
they would care to shorten it?

Example: My name is Catherine. I choose to be known as Cathi in
common parlance (although family have always called me Katie). But I
don't choose to be known as Cath.. *Particularly* with the Estuary
English "pronunciation", which is a long "a", and a double "f" at the
end :"Caaaaaff" It just sounds lazy and sloppy. I had one co-worker
who would always remember half-way through using it, so it would come
out as"*Caaaaff*-i" For heaven's sake - I'm a human being, not a
greasy spoon diner as immortalised in EastEnders!

Would Cat be OK? ;-)

:-D

I use the nickname "Catsmeat" on a number of talkboards, and get a fair
number of variations on that, including Cat, Catz and Catsy.

OMG are you a Wodehouse fan?

Not really ... but the friend's mother who gave me the nickname was! I
have utterly no idea why she started calling me Catsmeat but the
nickname stuck (both her daughters refer to me as such), so I took it as
a handle for talkboards.
--
Cathi
Old March 31st 04, 06:36 AM
LOL

Kreisleriana wrote in message . ..

OMG are you a Wodehouse fan?

Theresa

Is there anyone who isn't?

------
Krista
Who can't imagine such a thing
Old March 31st 04, 08:05 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Kinky! I like that.

Kinky and Dave... automatic thinking of them in the same sentence to be sure.

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $

Old March 31st 04, 09:51 AM

John F. Eldredge wrote:

The math teacher at my high school was a bit eccentric.

Only one math teacher? You must have gone to a small school!

...would take his tie off as soon as
he got into the classroom, and hang it on the closet doorknob. He
commented several times that the school board required that he wear a
tie _to_ school, but hadn't said anything about having to continue
wearing it once he got there.

LOL, that's following the letter of the law, if not the spirit.

Oh, and if you talked during class, he would bounce a chalkboard
eraser off your head. If any teacher tried that these days, he would
probably end up being sued.

I'm no fan of frivolous litigation, but in this case, I hope he would be!

Joyce
Old March 31st 04, 03:44 PM
Kreisleriana

On 30 Mar 2004 21:36:10 -0800, (LOL)
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote in message . ..

OMG are you a Wodehouse fan?

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Is there anyone who isn't?

------
Krista
Who can't imagine such a thing

Only those who haven't read them yet, old bean.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 31st 04, 05:30 PM
Hopitus2

As a sincerely meant compliment, Joyce......you're younger than you think
you are. My sixth-grade teacher (female) used to whack misbehavers, male or
female, with a short rubber hose (no marks)and the principal had a famous
"wooden paddle" used on backsides of those sent to her office. I never
underwent either punishment personally. My little brother went to parochial
school, where the teachers whacked misbehavers w/ wooden rulers. No parent
would dream of protesting such discipline, much less sueing. This was FL,
still famous for regarding citizens' offspring as chattel,
human-rights-wise.

wrote in message
:

Old March 31st 04, 06:55 PM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
Jette Goldie wrote:

Oh thanks - I'm flying on Sunday too! And I have to take two
planes ..... one from Glasgow to Newark and one from Newark
to Orlando.

You're going to Florida on Sunday? So am I. This will be the first time
I've flown in about 2 years - I'm nervous. I've always had a fear of

flying,
but when I do it frequently, I sort of get used to it.

Not at all afraid of flying - but I don't always like the *landings*,
especially when you're in a smaller plane, coming in to the airport
over water (lots of turbulance that way)

Been two years since I was last able to afford to fly anywhere
too - and I can't really afford this, but I am determined to
enjoy the vacation!

Also, I'm going to see some family members that I don't have the best
relationship with, so I'm pretty nervous about that, too.

Going with hubby - first vacation we've taken together for
some years, and he's like "but there's NOTHING TO DO
in Florida!!" (fcuk that - I'm actually looking forward to
driving on the wrong side of the road and in an automatic
transmission car)

We've got one week in Orlando, a two night cruise to Nassau
and then one week in Fort Lauderdale.

There'll be no shortage of cats, though!

Ah, but my babies will be staying home, in the care of their
Auntie Linda (my downstairs neighbour). I'll miss them - but
I won't miss Dakota parading across my head at 1am because
he can't decide which part of the bed is more comfortable.

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota
http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kitties.html