Roxie on Patrol

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th 04, 12:02 AM
Singh

Default Roxie on Patrol

For the past two days, our Roxie has been pulling guard duty at the top
of the stairs, bapping Stosh and Brandy if they try to push the door to
Odessa's room open or cause general mischief.

Roxie and Odessa each know that there is someone on the other side of
the door. I heard a conversation this morning, and for once it did not
include a cussword. Roxie and Odessa were actually speaking in civil
tones to one another: Roxie in her high-pitched trill-meow dialect, and
Odessa in a clear, rather loud squeak. I am certain that Roxie must have
told Odessa not to be too nervous, and indeed there is a change in our
little newcomer. She's coming out more, and she's not calling out
obscenities when I get near her.

I'm still not ready to put the gate up and supervise the first stage of
integration, not yet. Odessa is still on the shy side, though getting
less skittish. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. Right now Louie and I are
spending time up here, taking turns while the other sees to the other
kids, and we take turns sleeping here with her. We started that with
Roxie, whom we got shortly after Stosh, and it has worked with every cat
we've brought here so far. Louie will camp out here tonight, and Roxie
will continue her guard duty. I'm identifying with her somehow. She's
been spayed and has never had kittens, and I can't have kids, but having
the cats around brings out the Mama in both of us.

Blessed be,
Baha