gentler way to put a cat down?

Old May 30th 05, 04:10 PM
Francesca

Default gentler way to put a cat down?

Hi,

I'm in a horrible situation - my old boy, who will be 16 in August, is
showing signs of deterioration. He's got kidney issues and the vet's
given us options that range from thousands of dollars in potential
treatments, to switching to Science Diet k/d - we've done the latter.
I'm a full time student and my husband has been the sole bread-winner &
bill payer for the last two years - we just don't have the cash flow to
spend a ton of money on anything these days.

Anyway, as my boy goes on, walking is harder, he sleeps more and more,
and has recently started peeing on the floor - a sign that we need to go
back to the vet. Once there, it's likely they'll do the usual,
prescribe an antibiotic, perhaps hydrate him. This has been going on
for a year or so. I am praying that he slips away in his sleep one day,
but fear that it won't happen that way, and that I'll be faced with
putting him down. It just tortures me because his personality is still
in tact - but he's slow, and the vet says he likely does not feel very
good most days (and frankly, he doesn't look like he feels good).

I had to put his sister down a few years ago and it was awful - it
seemed that she was in pain, her tongue thrust out, and it was on a
metal table with bright lights overhead. I need not to do that again.
It seems too harsh.

So I'm writing to see if there are alternatives. Is there something I
can give him when the time comes that will send him off in a gentle,
sleep-like way? Is going to the vet and using their shots the only
option? (According to the vet, it is.)

Thanks.
Old May 30th 05, 04:36 PM
Philip

Francesca wrote:
[...]

I second Helen's suggestion for calling in an in-home veterinary visit for
euthanasia. There is a point in a cat's life where all you are doing is
prolonging your pet's pain and it sure sounds like you've past that pivotal
moment.

Old May 30th 05, 04:48 PM
John Ross Mc Master

IP # 64.203.38.114

OrgAbuseName: ABUSE TEAM
OrgAbusePhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgAbuseEmail:

Old May 30th 05, 05:11 PM
dragon

Francesca wrote:
Hi,

I'm in a horrible situation - my old boy, who will be 16 in August, is
showing signs of deterioration. He's got kidney issues and the vet's
given us options that range from thousands of dollars in potential
treatments, to switching to Science Diet k/d - we've done the latter.
I'm a full time student and my husband has been the sole bread-winner &
bill payer for the last two years - we just don't have the cash flow to
spend a ton of money on anything these days.

snip

This doesn't answer your question, but have you looked over the Feline
Chronic Renal Failure site?

http://www.felinecrf.com/

My old boy, who is 15 as well, was diagnosed with CRF a year ago.
We've been giving him sub-q therapy twice a week and his numbers are
now in the normal range! This doesn't happen very often, but I can
attest that it doesn't necessarily take thousands of dollars to treat a
cat with "kidney issues." And, as you may learn if you continue to
research CRF around the net (there are some great yahoo groups) K/D is
not considered a good way to go for cats with this condition. This
food has way too many carbs and is way too low protein to keep your cat
healthy, IMHO. Better to switch to a high-quality food with meat as
the first listed ingrediant. Many folks who kept their cats on food
like K/D noticed that their cat's muscles were literally wasting away.

The other thing to consider discussing with your vet is having your
cat's teeth cleaned, as there is a high correlation between bad teeth
and disease, both in animals *and* people. Sasha's health improved
greatly once we had his teeth done. I hope you consider treating your
kitty before putting him down. All my best to you and your fuzzywuzzy.

dragon

Old May 30th 05, 06:32 PM
Francesca

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. I am going to stay on this
list - besides my 15-year old, I also live with two young girl kitties!

And Dragon- please believe me that putting my boy down is the last thing
I want to do. It gets to be a source of great tension here when he pees
on the carpet and rugs (at least rugs are more easily cleaned - the
carpet took weeks last time to get the smell out). So there's that,
which is a problem.

I guess that, like with doctors, I probably put too much blind faith in
the vet. I'll check out the link you shared and investigate the food.
His teeth have not been cleaned in a million years, so I will see about
getting that done, too.

This kitty, whose name is Garbanzo, btw, is my special guy. I met him
when he was a day old and said, "THAT'S THE ONE!" and they put a ribbon
on him so I could have that exact cat when he was old enough to be
weaned! He's been with me through thick and thin, and has saved my
life, in a manner of speaking. Every night, without fail, for over 15
years, he waits for me in the bathroom, sitting atop the toilet - it's
time to be brushed and exchange me kisses. (I say, "Gimme a kiss" and
he lifts his head up to bump it on mine.) It makes me weepy, just
telling you about that, because as I said before, Garbanzo is still "in
there" - it's just his body that's going to hell. My father is elderly
and in a nursing home and when I think about putting Garbanzo down, I
think, "Would I put my father down, just because he's blind and needs a
wheelchair? No! He's still the same guy, just older and weaker!"

Anyway, thanks again. I'll be checking back - you seem like good folks
here!
-Francesca

snip

Old May 30th 05, 06:52 PM

My cat was diagnosed with blood tests with kidney disease 5 years ago,
and although, wobbly in the legs and not always going in his litter
tray, is still plodding on. He has been on
Waltham renal support pouches cat food. Twice now, when he got bad, he
had one weeks worth of antibiotic injections and they seemed to put him
back to normal.

Best Wishes
Chris

Old May 30th 05, 07:05 PM

Yes, we get it from the vets, it comes in chicken or beef flavour.
Also, get the weeks worth of antibiotics too! I am in the UK so I hope
you can get the pouches if you are elsewhere.

Chris

Old May 30th 05, 08:04 PM
John Doe

troll

From: John Ross Mc Master pussycat cathouse.meow
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: gentler way to put a cat down?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:48:26 GMT

Old May 30th 05, 08:47 PM
bigbadbarry

Francesca wrote:

Thanks.

Look, I don't know what it costs to put him to sleep, but whatever you
are thinking for alternative; throw it outcha mind!

Yule goto jail!

Better leave that cat alone to live out his days in peace. good
heaven's if it was me, I'd be like

hey hey hey! don't push to the grave! I always say! hey hey hey