Cat Nicknames?

Old July 14th 16, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat Nicknames?

I'm sure we all have nicknames for our cats, outside of their actual names.

Buffy is a domestic shorthair, a striped orange tabby. Typical moggie
with an 'M' on her forehead.

Short hair, yes. Thick fur, wow! I've recently taken to calling her
Fluffy McBuffypants. Or Buffy McFluffypants. Either one works.

She doesn't seem to mind.

Jill
Old July 15th 16, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 4:31:28 PM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:
I'm sure we all have nicknames for our cats, outside of their actual names.

All my cats have had nicknames- Speedy Joe was "Joe-Joe" "Peedy Joe"

Fugazi was Gaz-Gaz, Coke head (she had a white mark on her upper lip)

Isis- was "Izzy Whizzy" (for those who ever saw the Sooty show yes I did say "Izzy Whizzy let's get busy") "Is-Is", "The Emeritus Professor of Feline Cuteness"

Redunzel- "Dunzi Fella", "Silky one"

Sarrasine- "Sarsi Fella" (We thought they were both boys when we got them- when they went in for the operation I told the vet I wasn't sure what needed removed), "Feline Criminal Genuis" "Mummy's (or daddy's) little devil/angel) and "Really" (She was quite destructive as a kitten and had no shame about it so we'd find the latest evidence and she'd be sitting in the middle of it with her "so what" face on and we both said "She's a good cat....really")

Bonnie- "Bon-Bon" "Bonnie Bonamassa" "Gannet"

Spirit- "Da Floofy Monster", "Piglet" (she is an eating machine)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 17th 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:31:24 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

I'm sure we all have nicknames for our cats, outside of their actual names.

Buffy is a domestic shorthair, a striped orange tabby. Typical moggie
with an 'M' on her forehead.

Short hair, yes. Thick fur, wow! I've recently taken to calling her
Fluffy McBuffypants. Or Buffy McFluffypants. Either one works.

She doesn't seem to mind.

Buffy McFluffypants

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Lucy got 'Lucy Loo' from my then gf, that one has stuck. I also call
Lucy 'Possum', because she has a thick, bushy tail like Australian
possums do.
Old July 17th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I'm sure we all have nicknames for our cats, outside of their actual names.

Buffy is a domestic shorthair, a striped orange tabby. Typical moggie
with an 'M' on her forehead.

Short hair, yes. Thick fur, wow! I've recently taken to calling her
Fluffy McBuffypants. Or Buffy McFluffypants. Either one works.

She doesn't seem to mind.

Buffy McFluffypants

I flip flop.

She also gets called Rumble Bug. When I'm giving her scritches she sort
of crawls up on me and purrs. But sometimes I can only feel it, not
hear it. It's a rumbling feeling more than a sound. So I give her
scritches and call her Rumble Bug.

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Hey, sounds like you have reasons. Many more cats that me, too.

I'm still just learning about Buffy a year later.

Lucy got 'Lucy Loo' from my then gf, that one has stuck. I also call
Lucy 'Possum', because she has a thick, bushy tail like Australian
possums do.

It's fun how we come up with names that fit our pets. Based on
behaviour. And, I guess, appearance!

Jill
Old July 19th 16, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice. That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.
She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also, "Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old July 22nd 16, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.

Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.
She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also, "Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.
Old July 22nd 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:09:40 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Buffy McFluffypants

I flip flop.

She also gets called Rumble Bug. When I'm giving her scritches she sort
of crawls up on me and purrs. But sometimes I can only feel it, not
hear it. It's a rumbling feeling more than a sound. So I give her
scritches and call her Rumble Bug.

:-)

Annie doesn't have a very loud purr, but I do call her 'old rattler'
sometimes, usually when she's doing her 'kneading' on my chest and
purring away. Lucy, OTOH you hear from another room... those two are
such opposites in every respect.

Old July 31st 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

wrote:

Je?us wrote:

[...]

I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.

Old August 1st 16, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

Je?us wrote:

[...]

Matt, people call *you* yodel?

I like "meoyodel."

--
Joyce
Old August 2nd 16, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

"Bastette" wrote in message

wrote:

Je?us wrote:

[...]

Oh, i meant to write ive been calling yodel squeeky.