Please Help - 8 yr old Cat w/ Sore on Head

Old August 7th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

Default Please Help - 8 yr old Cat w/ Sore on Head

This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
condition?

I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
the result of a scratch.

We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
skin irritation would be helpful.

Old August 7th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

On Aug 6, 8:05 pm, Billy wrote:
[...]

Here's a pictu
http://www.mywebnj.com/20070806.JPG

Old August 7th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out
GET TO THE VET ASAP it will need to be treated with more in likely
antibiotics cream and possible e-collar to keep the furball from scratching

IMO That is from scratching the area is probably infected and is causing
discomfort itching

"Billy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old August 11th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Matthew wrote:
Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out

Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
peroxide will kill any healing tissue.

Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
it dry naturally, and see the vet.

-L.

Old August 11th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 10, 10:10 pm, "-L." wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out

Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
peroxide will kill any healing tissue.

Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
it dry naturally, and see the vet.

-L.

Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
to a
wound clinic to heal an incision. Peroxide kills the new cells that
are trying to
form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
except for
the initial cleaning of the wound.
FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
losing
hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
infection caused the
hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
Weirdly enough,
the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

Sherry

Old August 12th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Sherry wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
to a
wound clinic to heal an incision.

You did? Ouch!! Hope you are feeling better!

Peroxide kills the new cells that
are trying to
form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
except for
the initial cleaning of the wound.
FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
losing
hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
infection caused the
hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
Weirdly enough,
the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

That's really common, especially for wounds caused by other cats. The
patch will be completely bald and completely round. It looks really
weird.

-L.

Old August 7th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old August 7th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

On Aug 6, 10:28 pm, "Spot" wrote:
It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.

Celeste

"Billy" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

skin irritation would be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

It's not pus-like and raised, it rather flat and scabby.

Old August 7th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 7 Aug, 04:48, Billy wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:28 pm, "Spot" wrote:

It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.

Celeste

"Billy" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

It's not pus-like and raised, it rather flat and scabby.- Hide quoted text -

either way, get him to a vet before he scratches it and makes it
worse, wash it with some saline solution too to clean it off, but get
him to a vet before it enlarges and becomes infected

sore on nose Grawun Cat health & behaviour 3 May 31st 06 11:11 PM
My nose is sore Yoj Cat anecdotes 7 December 25th 05 07:23 AM
Sore by Butt oscargrouch Cat health & behaviour 4 May 20th 05 04:49 AM
Sore nose? Mary Cat anecdotes 6 April 2nd 05 04:12 AM
Cat with sore jaw & mouth Chrissy Cat health & behaviour 10 December 18th 03 04:03 PM