Update on Abelard's condition

Old November 20th 05, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Update on Abelard's condition

I didn't want to wait until a vet was available, the swelling was getting
too big. I started him on amoxycillin and got a sterile hypodermic
needle/syringe from Gloria (she has a case of them), shaved the hair off a
small spot on his shoulder, washed it with betadyne, stuck that needle in
and sucked out as much goo as the syringe would hold, then helped the rest
drain out of the tiny hole made by the needle.

Still no idea what caused the abcess in the first place but at least now
he's much less tender there and seems quite relieved. May have to repeat the
drainage in the morning if it fills up again.

Old November 20th 05, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
I didn't want to wait until a vet was available, the swelling was getting
too big. I started him on amoxycillin and got a sterile hypodermic
needle/syringe from Gloria (she has a case of them), shaved the hair off a
small spot on his shoulder, washed it with betadyne, stuck that needle in
and sucked out as much goo as the syringe would hold, then helped the rest
drain out of the tiny hole made by the needle.

Still no idea what caused the abcess in the first place but at least now
he's much less tender there and seems quite relieved. May have to repeat the
drainage in the morning if it fills up again.

Abscesses are usually from bites or scratches. They don't have to be
deep, really, Frank has had abscesses from the normal tusseling that
cats do around the house.
Did the fluid had a really bad odor? Frank had one to drain on its own
once. I didn't even know he had it until I noticed a yukky bad smell
coming from him. He's super furry and it was completely hidden. The
next one he had was at the base of his ear, which was easily noticed.
The vet lanced that one.

Sherry

Old November 20th 05, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

Did the fluid had a really bad odor?

I made a point of sniffing it (not too close, I have a sensitive nose) and
it didn't smell bad. But it was sticky after it dried. Some of it oozed into
his fur and turned it hard, so I washed it off with a soapy cloth.

Old November 20th 05, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
ups.com...

Pat wrote:
[...]

I still remember my first abcess experience. Many moons ago. Our cat Sam
had been injured in an accident and we were several weeks into recovery. He
still had a leg in a splint but everything else seemed OK. We knew he'd hit
his face because some whiskers were broken off, but that was so minor
compared to everything else. I'm sitting at the table feeding my infant
daughter and Sam drags himself in to watch. (I may have mentioned, he
worshiped Vicki) I notice that the side of his face is puffy. I get down
to look at him and when I touch it the dang thing bursts and nasty stuff
shoots clear across the room.

Seems some of his teeth were damaged in the accident and a few chips created
abscesses that kept me busy for several months.

I've always had good luck putting Neosporin into an opened abscess. My
daughter swears by peroxide.

Jo

Jo

Old November 20th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
....sucked out as much goo as the syringe would hold, then helped the rest
drain out of the tiny hole made by the needle.

.... May have to repeat the
drainage in the morning if it fills up again.

Pat,
It is important to keep an abscess open and draining so that the surface
does not close up, trapping the infection under the skin. You can help keep
it open by holding a damp, warm cloth or paper towel against it several
times a day. Make it more than lukewarm, but not scalding hot.
Purrs on the way.
Annie

Old November 20th 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purring and praying it isn't anything serious.
Lily & her Mama
Jazz, RB

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
.. .

Old November 20th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote

Pat,
It is important to keep an abscess open and draining so that the surface
does not close up, trapping the infection under the skin. You can help
keep it open by holding a damp, warm cloth or paper towel against it
several times a day. Make it more than lukewarm, but not scalding hot.
Purrs on the way.

Will do! That is very good advice. Thanks.

Old November 20th 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:48:47 -0600, Pat wrote:

I didn't want to wait until a vet was available, the swelling was getting
too big. I started him on amoxycillin and got a sterile hypodermic
needle/syringe from Gloria (she has a case of them), shaved the hair off a
small spot on his shoulder, washed it with betadyne, stuck that needle in
and sucked out as much goo as the syringe would hold, then helped the rest
drain out of the tiny hole made by the needle.

Still no idea what caused the abcess in the first place but at least now
he's much less tender there and seems quite relieved. May have to repeat
the drainage in the morning if it fills up again.

I admire your nursing ability. Purrs that the wound heals quickly. MLB
Old November 20th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message

"Annie Wxill" wrote

Pat,
It is important to keep an abscess open and draining so that the surface
does not close up, trapping the infection under the skin. You can help
keep it open by holding a damp, warm cloth or paper towel against it
several times a day. Make it more than lukewarm, but not scalding hot.
Purrs on the way.

Will do! That is very good advice. Thanks.

If you have a blade like a craft knife, sterilise it by boiling for a few
minutes and then cut a cross on the abcess. It will allow it to drain far
better than a needle hole, then swill out the cavity with saline solution at
least twice a day for 5 more days, then see if it heals. Use an empty
plastic boiled syringe.
I'm only telling you this because I know you are in a remote place and don't
have access to a vet as much as you need to.
Anyone else who is near a vet, please ignore and get your cat to a vet in
similar circumstances.
Tweed

Old November 22nd 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

If you have a blade like a craft knife, sterilise it by boiling for a few
minutes and then cut a cross on the abcess. It will allow it to drain far
better than a needle hole, then swill out the cavity with saline solution at
least twice a day for 5 more days, then see if it heals. Use an empty
plastic boiled syringe.
I'm only telling you this because I know you are in a remote place and don't
have access to a vet as much as you need to.
Anyone else who is near a vet, please ignore and get your cat to a vet in
similar circumstances.

Frank had an abscess out on the island a couple of years ago, and I had
no chance of bringing him in to a vet. I rang my vet in town and asked
for advice. Luckily, my sister was coming out the next day, so she could
bring me the anti-biotic ointment I needed. I was told to clean the site
of the abscess 2-3 times a day with betadine and then put the ointment
on. It healed fine, though the fur I had to cut away from the site grew
back very slowly. It was along his back, and I thought he looked like a
piggy-bank, so that's what I called him the rest of that summer: my
little piggy-bank. Here's a picture that shows the 'hole.'

http://tinyurl.com/83ttx

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi