Mom [OT]

Old March 27th 04, 09:40 AM

It's like a Cockney accent is perfectly acceptable for a kid
in London - but when Glasgow kids start using "teef" instead
of "teeth" and losing their Rs for Ws, because they watch
too much EastEnders, it's not funny anymore.

I know what you mean :-)

LOL - I don't.

Why would kids from Glasgow want to imitate Londoners with Cockney
accents? Is it some kind of working-class chic or something? Like over
here, when white suburban kids start talking hip-hop lingo to imitate
black kids in the cities?

Joyce
Old March 27th 04, 10:10 AM
Sherry

My Dad's parents were Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma was not the nicest
person in the world, to put it politely. When my first baby was due
(I'm older than my siblings), my mother decided she and my Dad would be
Gammy and Gampy. That's how my kids still refer to them.

Joy

LOL! That's cute. Keep in mind, I don't have any grandchildren yet. When I do,
I'm sure *whatever* they call me I'll consider the most clever and brilliant
words ever spoken. Right, Granny Hopitus?
Sherry
Old March 27th 04, 10:23 AM
jmcquown

Karen wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:15:58 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama"
(though my siblings and I held on to that one for a long time
actually.) "Mother" is generally held for referral use only OR when
aggravated by said parent.

Karen

And Mommy. My brother and I called our mother Mommy when I was
little (which is an increasingly long time ago ), and all the
children I
knew growing up said Mommy. My mother called her mother Mommy when
she was little. I know English people say "Mum" or "Mummy," but I
never found it irritating. It's what they do. So what?

Oh, some things are just like that. I dislike "Ma'am". And I know a
lot of women who do and yet people use it all the time. I swear, it
makes me feel ancient!

Karen

You're not the only one, Karen! "Yes ma'am" in the U.S. is considered
polite but it makes me feel like someone's grandmother. Granted, I'm almost
old enough to *be* someone's grandmother, but point in fact, I'm not.
Still, I suppose it's intended to be polite.

Jill

Old March 27th 04, 10:26 AM
jmcquown

David Stevenson wrote:
I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series
refer to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

If anyone wonders what my problem is then I learnt 'Mum' and
'Mummy' and never heard this word 'Mom' until a few years ago.

Too bad you haven't been exposed to American English until just a few years
ago, David I've called my mother "mom" or "mommy" since I started
talking (around 1961) and sometimes "momma". I do understand the term "mum"
and "mummy" because my mother's parents were born in the British Isles, but
I certainly never thought the different terms were strange or wrong, nor
disturbing.

Jill

Old March 27th 04, 12:07 PM
Jette Goldie

"Hopitus2" wrote
Hopitus2 does not find it annoying that
comprehending the nonstop patter of the Naked Chef, Jamie, who once in a
long time refers to his "mum", is very difficult and I only understand

every
few words, because regardless of his origin, he mumbles as well. Still not
annoying; he's charming and innovatively clever! There's some old dude who
travels around the world, a Brit, who talks kinda like a famous English

news
commentator of WWII days; he seeks out unusual recipes and foods. Much
easier to understand than Jamie (I think he's of a higher class than
Jamie....

Actually, no. Jamie's a good Upper Middle Class boy, extremely
well raised - he's just taken to using a ..... "Estuary English"
accent because he and his peer group find it more "cred".

If the other chef you are referring to is Keith Floyd...... well
he started life on the very bottom end of the ladder - he's a
Working Class Lad Made Good.

So, no, accents tell you nothing about "class" in the UK - .....

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota
http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kitties.html

Old March 27th 04, 01:41 PM
JBHajos

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:33:58 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

I always thought it was weird to call your granfather, who was always
"Grandad" to me, "Pops", and grandmothers, who were I always thought should
be called "Nana", a bit off-putting to be called "Gran".

When my older daughter had her first child at age 17, it made me a
rather youngish grandmother. I told her if I was called "Grandma" I'd
wring her neck!! Ah, vanity!! So we settled on "Nana." My other set
of grandchildren call me "Omi", their take on the German "Omah."

Jeanne
Old March 27th 04, 02:13 PM
CK

wrote:

I always thought it was weird to call your granfather, who was always
"Grandad" to me, "Pops", and grandmothers, who were I always thought should
be called "Nana", a bit off-putting to be called "Gran".

When my older daughter had her first child at age 17, it made me a
rather youngish grandmother. I told her if I was called "Grandma" I'd
wring her neck!! Ah, vanity!! So we settled on "Nana." My other set
of grandchildren call me "Omi", their take on the German "Omah."

Jeanne

When my brother and his wife (now separated) had their first (some 14
years ago), they asked our parents what they wanted to be called. My dad
opted for the German "Opa" and my mum fancied "famo" (hmmm... the
English pronounciation would probably be something like "fahmoo", but
with short vowels), which is the abbreviated version of "farmor" =
father's mother, in Swedish. I call my parents "Fasch" and "Musch",
which are our own versions of the regularly used ones. Just like my
brother "invented" the name Mämmy (Mammy, with dots on the a) for our
maternal grandmother, and as he was her first grandchild, the name stuck
with all the other cousins and even their parents, her children. We seem
to have a habit of making up our own names for things and people...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old March 27th 04, 02:17 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:33:58 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Karen wrote
Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

"Mums" and "Mama" sound fine to me.

I always thought it was weird to call your granfather, who was always
"Grandad" to me, "Pops", and grandmothers, who were I always thought should
be called "Nana", a bit off-putting to be called "Gran".

I always suspect that Americans have such colorful names for
grandparents simply because people just don't want to be called
"Grandma" or "Grandpa" anymore.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)