help me cat scratching mattresss!!!!!!

Old May 25th 05, 06:01 PM
amber masteller via CatKB.com

Default help me cat scratching mattresss!!!!!!

I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching my
brand new mattress and licking my toilet paper. I tried to tell him no,
tried to spray him with water and punished him by putting him in the cage.
Doesn't help. Can anyone help? He is an indoor cat and he has one
scratching post in the living room. He also does not scratch anything else
besides he lifts his nails on the carpets. Any suggestions? Do I need more
scratching posts? or apple bitter spray? HELP ME!!!!
Old May 25th 05, 06:31 PM
bigbadbarry

"amber masteller via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching my
brand new mattress and licking my toilet paper. I tried to tell him no,
tried to spray him with water and punished him by putting him in the cage.
Doesn't help. Can anyone help? He is an indoor cat and he has one
scratching post in the living room. He also does not scratch anything else
besides he lifts his nails on the carpets. Any suggestions? Do I need more
scratching posts? or apple bitter spray? HELP ME!!!!

do you put your tp feed coming over the top or from underneath...lol

I say..kill him with kindness..be super sweet to him..gently remove him
from the bedside...take him to his post...stay super calm and super sweet
get super results.

He will finally learn what you want, and what cat can refuse gentleness
and affection.

Well, you got a new mattress, but he's stuck with that ol' dingy
scratcher...can't he have a new scratching post? you got a new mattress
(and they are not cheap)...mmhmmmm

he might be mad about it, and he is (while your reading this)
devising a plan to get some more of that mattress...it felt soooo
nice.

Old May 25th 05, 06:32 PM
Mary

"amber masteller via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching my
brand new mattress

All you need to do is give him something he likes better to scratch:

http://cats.about.com/library/review...cscratcher.htm

When I got my cats the above from PetSmart they stopped
scratching the furniture--and I mean stopped.

and licking my toilet paper. I tried to tell him no,
tried to spray him with water and punished him by putting him in the cage.
Doesn't help. Can anyone help? He is an indoor cat and he has one
scratching post in the living room. He also does not scratch anything else
besides he lifts his nails on the carpets. Any suggestions? Do I need more
scratching posts? or apple bitter spray? HELP ME!!!!

Close your bathroom door. And stop punishing your cat for natural
behavior. He needs to scratch. The Alpine scratcher comes with catnip
that he will love.

Old May 25th 05, 06:40 PM
Philip

amber masteller via CatKB.com wrote:
I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching my
brand new mattress and licking my toilet paper. I tried to tell him
no, tried to spray him with water and punished him by putting him in
the cage. Doesn't help. Can anyone help? He is an indoor cat and he
has one scratching post in the living room. He also does not scratch
anything else besides he lifts his nails on the carpets. Any
suggestions? Do I need more scratching posts? or apple bitter spray?
HELP ME!!!!

TAKE THE HINT ... you need to learn and practice the sacred art of claw
clipping.

Old May 25th 05, 06:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-25, Mary penned:

"amber masteller via CatKB.com" wrote in
message ...
I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching
my brand new mattress

All you need to do is give him something he likes better to scratch:

http://cats.about.com/library/review...cscratcher.htm

When I got my cats the above from PetSmart they stopped scratching
the furniture--and I mean stopped.

Oscar is partial to the Ultimate Scratching Post:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...13632+ 113563

I also got her a cat tree, which has multiple surfaces and levels on
which to exert her claws:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2002+113197

She has three scratching posts and a cat tree, and she doesn't shred
my stuff.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 25th 05, 07:08 PM
Glitter Ninja

"amber masteller via CatKB.com" writes:

I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching my
brand new mattress and licking my toilet paper.

Get the kitty something he wants to scratch better. I have two sisal
scratching posts and a tall carpeted pole with a couple of shelves on it
-- all were cheap at K-Mart -- and the cats rarely scratch anything else.
They do love to scratch the bed, though, so I put a bedskirt on the box
springs and that stopped it completely. Also a really loose, soft
mattress pad and fitted sheet stopped the mattress scratching, because
they don't like the feel of scratching loose fabric.

Stacia

Old May 25th 05, 07:15 PM
Mary

On 2005-05-25, Mary penned:

"amber masteller via CatKB.com" wrote in
message ...
I have a problem. My cat is almost three yrs old. He is scratching
my brand new mattress

All you need to do is give him something he likes better to scratch:

http://cats.about.com/library/review...cscratcher.htm

When I got my cats the above from PetSmart they stopped scratching
the furniture--and I mean stopped.

Oscar is partial to the Ultimate Scratching Post:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...13632+ 113563

Now this is nice. It's actually attractive, too. Can you rewrap it, or does
the sisal not wear
out? I have avoided scratching posts because they are almost all to short. I
want to put
up a cat tree in my office but now is not the time.

I also got her a cat tree, which has multiple surfaces and levels on
which to exert her claws:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2002+113197

This is another very nice design, and reasonably priced for the quality.
Thanks, Mo,
I have bookmarked this web site under "Cats" and will peruse it when I can.

She has three scratching posts and a cat tree, and she doesn't shred
my stuff.

Good to know it has worked for you too. I was amazed that it was that easy.
I just got Cheeks a new turboscratcher and another Alpine scratcher, and
left the old Alpine scratcher there, and now every morning and several times
a day she does circuit training! It is hilarious--like she feels she needs
to give
each scracher a fair amount of attention. There is a new thing (to me
anyway)
that is like a mini-turbo scratcher but instead of the ball that goes around
there
is a mouse. The girl at Petsmart GAVE it to me last weekend! She could not
find
a price and just said "don't worry about it!" anyway, both cats love it.

Old May 25th 05, 09:02 PM
Glitter Ninja

"Mary" writes:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...13632+ 113563

Now this is nice. It's actually attractive, too. Can you rewrap it, or does
the sisal not wear out?

I love this scratching post. The sisal hasn't worn yet, and I have two
kitties that scratch it almost constantly. I put it at the corner of our
couch. They scratch the post, not the furniture.

Stacia

Old May 25th 05, 09:21 PM
CatNipped

"Glitter Ninja" wrote in message
"Mary" writes:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...13632+ 113563

Now this is nice. It's actually attractive, too. Can you rewrap it, or
does
the sisal not wear out?

I love this scratching post. The sisal hasn't worn yet, and I have two
kitties that scratch it almost constantly. I put it at the corner of our
couch. They scratch the post, not the furniture.

Stacia

The sisal actually holds up a lot better than the carpet does. You can see
he http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy10/ (click on any of the
pictures for a close up view) the sisal is almost pristine, but the carpet
is shredded!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 25th 05, 11:29 PM
Mary

"Glitter Ninja" wrote in message
"Mary" writes:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...=10290&inm=1&N

=2002+113632+113563

Now this is nice. It's actually attractive, too. Can you rewrap it, or

does
the sisal not wear out?

I love this scratching post. The sisal hasn't worn yet, and I have two
kitties that scratch it almost constantly. I put it at the corner of our
couch. They scratch the post, not the furniture.

Stacia

Well, I think I need to have one of these. for $60, it is very reasonable
considering how sturdy and tall it is.