Rabies Shots

Old July 9th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Rabies Shots

On 2008-07-09, Victor Martinez wrote:
Sharon wrote:
Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly

Find another vet. The vaccine our crew gets lasts 3 years.

There are legal requirements for annual rabies vaccinations in a lot of
jurisdictions. The vet might simply be unwilling to discuss a longer interval,
even for a feral.

Bud
Old July 9th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez[_2_]

On Jul 9, 9:27*am, wrote:
There are legal requirements for annual rabies vaccinations in a lot of
jurisdictions. *The vet might simply be unwilling to discuss a longer interval,
even for a feral.

Like I said, find another vet. Annual vaccinations are required in
Texas, but like my TED said: "I'm not in the law enforcement
business".

Victor

Old July 9th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez[_2_]

http://www.catvets.com/uploads/HTML/VaccineSummary.html

Old July 9th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Thanks everyone. My indoor cat does not get any vaccinations either -
my previous catacquired a sarcoma when she was about 7 years old. We
did several surgeries to remove it, but it kept coming back and ended
her life after about 4 years.

That was my first knowledge about the vaccinations and sarcomas.
Needless to say, I am very leary of vaccinations now.

The BIG problem with the feral cat is - it is feral and not easy to
take to the vet - but being outside ALL the time she surely needs a
rabies vaccination, if nothing else. I live in Ohio. It may be the
state law that they need to be given annually. I would check with
other vets, but this one is only a minute away - so less travel time
with a feral is a good thing too!!!
Old July 9th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon wrote:

The BIG problem with the feral cat is - it is feral and not easy to
take to the vet - but being outside ALL the time she surely needs a
rabies vaccination, if nothing else. I live in Ohio. It may be the
state law that they need to be given annually.

If you think a rabies shot is good for the cat - or good for helping to
keep disease from spreading - then I can see getting one for this cat.
Is rabies a problem in your area?

But I don't understand how the law would apply to you, since this is a
feral. Who would they cite for a violation? Legally speaking, she's not
your cat.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 9th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

The cat hangs out at the gym that I go to. So, I am trying to be a
good citizen and protect the public from possibly getting a bite from
her and getting rabies. The person owning the gym puts food out for
her, so she does hang around a lot. We just thought it would SO much
easier to get a 3 year vaccination rather than an annual one. Not
even trying to be "legal" here!! Although, the owner of the gym could
possibly have some legal problems if the cat should bite
someone..................always something.

Old July 9th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon wrote:

The cat hangs out at the gym that I go to. So, I am trying to be a
good citizen and protect the public from possibly getting a bite from
her and getting rabies.

Right, that was one of the good reasons I mentioned for getting the
shot - preventing the spread of disease. (Not to mention, protecting
the kitty!)

Could you get a trap from a shelter to trap her?

Joyce
Old July 10th 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Yes, that is what we have to do - but even then, it is not easy. And
each time she gets trapped, she gets smarter about it!!!

Old July 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 9, 2:49*pm, Victor Martinez wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:27*am, wrote:

There are legal requirements for annual rabies vaccinations in a lot of
jurisdictions. *The vet might simply be unwilling to discuss a longer interval,
even for a feral.

Like I said, find another vet. Annual vaccinations are required in
Texas, but like my TED said: "I'm not in the law enforcement
business".

Victor

I'm with your vet.
Bottom line, the animal is protected, even if not "legally." The only
risk is if your cat/dog bites someone, they'll have to go into
quarantine for a while. IRRC in this state it's 10 days. Some people
(mostly the older ranchers w/dogs and barn cats) buy the vaccinatin,
and administer it themselves. Same deal, the law doesn't recognize
that the cat is protected.
The risk that any of my cats would bite someone is practically nil.
There aren't
any children in the extended family anymore, and if we do have company
the cats
run and hide anyway.
City tags aren't an issue for us, since we aren't in city limits.

Sherry
Old July 12th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:07:30 -0700, hopitus wrote:

My cats' only taste of the great out is our
third-floor fenced deck so rabies is not a threat

Bats are a fairly common vector for rabies, so some degree of threat is
still present, unless you have netting that would prevent a bat from
getting into the enclosure. Also, mice have been known to carry rabies,
and have been known to enter houses that have cats (thus improving the
mouse gene pool).

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from