does this cat seem big?

Old September 22nd 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

Default does this cat seem big?

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...e5&oe=54C1C14E

Old September 22nd 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message ...

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...e5&oe=54C1C14E

~~~~~~~
That's terrible. That poor cat is obese (not merely overweight), and it is
a real health problem. It probably does not have enough energy and agility
to even run and play.

MaryL

Old September 23rd 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...e5&oe=54C1C14E

Yes. It's massively obese and pure cruelty by its owners to let it get like
that. The poor cat is at risk of all sorts of illnesses including diabetes
(if it hasn't already got it)

We are responsible for our pets. They cannot feed themselves, so if they
eat too much and get too fat, it's our fault for giving them too much.
Boyfie loves his food - he would eat much more if I gave him more when he
pleaded, but on his last vet check he had put on a few ounces and the vet
said not to let him put on any more as he is pretty well perfect weight for
size. So it's up to me to control his diet.

I was at a neighbour's house once and some friends of theirs came to visit
with their chubby child, who fell over on the path and her parents laughed
and said to the child "surprised you didn't smash the path ha ha"
That child was 4 years old. It made me so annoyed because the child burst
into tears that I said to the parents "if she is fat, it's your fault, you
are the ones that are feeding her" then I thought it would be a good idea
to leave.
But the fact remains that if you are responsible for a child or animal's
diet it's up to you to make sure they remain a healthy weight and harden
your heart to your cat who alleges he is starving and the child who insists
on going to McDonalds all the time and wanting yet another packet of crisps.
Boyfie is not so bad as he once was. He used to moan all the time about how
he thought he wasn't getting enough food, so much so, that I took him to the
vet about it. He had all tests known to mankind but they said "he's fine,
just a greedy boy" and he is. He could eat for England at the Cat Olympics
but has finally accepted that what he gets is all he can have. Which
doesn't stop him reminding me an hour before a meal with a no-claws-out paw
directed to my cheek, although he doesn't touch me with it. It stops an inch
away.
He has never scratched me or bitten me, even when he was injured so badly
with his intestines hanging out and I had to pick him up to rush him to the
vet. I would have excused him for that if he did, but he didn't.
He is always kind and charming. No matter what.
Bless his beautiful heart. He's the cat who changed my mind about what cats
were like.

Tweed

Old September 23rd 14, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message ...

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...e5&oe=54C1C14E

~~~~~~~
That's terrible. That poor cat is obese (not merely overweight), and it
is a real health problem. It probably does not have enough energy and
agility to even run and play.

MaryL

I've been thinking about this. My thought is that if the RSPCA (or American
equivalent) can remove animals for being underfed they ought to be able to
remove them if they are fed to huge obesity too. It's equal cruelty, isn't
it?
As I said upthread, it's up to us to take care of our pets appropriately,
which includes keeping them at a healthy weight.
I've heard an idea that cats will never overeat if free fed. I can assure
you that Boyfie would. He'd be a huge fatcat like that one given that
opportunity. So it's up to me to make sure that he doesn't.
If he became diabetic I'd never be able to inject him daily, he wouldn't
allow it. It takes two people to give him a spot on treatment because the
minute I try to hold him he thinks bad things are happening and he's away to
the hills.
He's so frightened at the vet's that he goes flatcat so along with his jabs
I get them to do his spot on Stronghold at the same time. Stronghold does
fleas, lice etc, intestinal worms and earmites, not that I've ever known him
to have any of those but better safe than sorry. If he's hunted and eaten
his prey he also gets a tapeworm tablet and how I admired the vet when she
got it down him easily.
He hasn't done any hunting this year so he didn't have a tapeworm tab. He
never has fleas, probably because they can't survive in my house during the
winter. as I have no central heating but he gets Stronghold just in case.

Claire has a continual problem with Tigger & Maisie with fleas. She baths
Maisie the dog every two weeks with flea shampoo but Tigger is constantly
reinfecting her. He needs Stronghold monthly. She has a centrally heated
house, very warm in the winter so the fleas can survive there.
I came home from there once with a flea on my clothes. I was having a wash
at my bathroom basin and it jumped into the water. I was horrified. OMG a
Flea! It got drowned and I never saw one here again.

I suppose if your cat gets them you have to break the life cycle which
cannot be done in a warm winter house.
Any fleas that chance their luck here at overwintering are destined for
failure.
My gas bill has just gone up to 7 pounds a month. Most people have gas
central heating here and my gas company tell me that most use 13,500
Kwh/year. I use 120. for the gas hob on my cooker.

I have a woodburner which goes out when I do but both Boyfie and myself are
used to being a bit cold during the winter. He has his duvet. And no
fleas.
I've never lived in a centrally heated house. When I stayed with my aunt
for weeks with my broken shoulder and again with my broken leg, I almost
died of the heat. I had to mop my forehead all the time. I said "isn't this
too hot for you?" Apparently not.
I nearly roasted and was glad to get back home.

Old September 23rd 14, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

I realize the cat is very overweight, i thought he was cute though,

Yes it is a shame the health damage. Sorry to rile up everyone thats not
what i wanted.

Old September 23rd 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 03:24:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message ...

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...e5&oe=54C1C14E

~~~~~~~
That's terrible. That poor cat is obese (not merely overweight), and it
is a real health problem. It probably does not have enough energy and
agility to even run and play.

MaryL

I don't know that anything can be done though. I suspect that with
cats, as with people, some are just going to be fat. My Nipsy is a big
cat, but not fat. Scooter eats a little bit and stays thin. But Marlo
is obese and doesn't really eat much more than the others. She isn't
as bad as that cat, but she isn't getting any smaller. With three
cats, I don't know how I can limit her and yet let the other cats eat
when they want.

Also, Marlo and Espy were pretty close in age, and Espy was always
thin and I'd try to get him to eat more. He's dead and Marlo is still
around.
Old September 23rd 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Matt Ferrari wrote:
I realize the cat is very overweight, i thought he was cute though,

Yes it is a shame the health damage. Sorry to rile up everyone thats not
what i wanted.

I've always been lucky with cats' appetites, I guess - There's always
dry food available, so they eat at will, although the moist food only
gets fed once a day. I'm surprised at how little Cendrillon eats - I
had always assumed their appetites were about the same. However, since
Melisande was PTS, there's much less food disappearing, even though
Cendri's bones are well-covered (but not to the point where you could
call her "plump"). Meli, on the other hand, had been losing weight (to
a point where you could count the vertebrae).

Old September 25th 14, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:10:35 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Matt Ferrari wrote:
I realize the cat is very overweight, i thought he was cute though,

Yes it is a shame the health damage. Sorry to rile up everyone thats not
what i wanted.

I've always been lucky with cats' appetites, I guess

Just like with humans,
NOT all fat cats are that way because they eat too much!

But it's EASY to overlook a medical condition you don't know about
(AND don't WANT to know about), and toss around prejudiced opinion.

So lets agree with you for a moment. If a cat is getting large and you
don't think you are overfeeding, take it to vet and see if it's a medical
condition.
I would be surprised if it is, but hey, I'm not a vet and there might be
some disease that despite keeping your cat to a sensible diet makes them get
hugely obese.

I doubt it. but do let me know if despite a proper diet your cat gets
massively obese. I'd be interested and so would my vet.
Boyfie is a food hound and he'd get far too fat if I gave in to what he
claims he needs to survive. And maybe that's the difficulty when the owners
just give in on pleading.

He thinks I am a bit strict, but it's in his own interest. Every year he
goes for his jabs and a health check. His teeth are good because he isn't
allowed any food that says in the ingredients "various sugars"
I don't allow him to get fat because it will reduce his life and I want to
have him with me as long as I can. It's not easy because he lives to eat
and if I allowed myself to give in..
It's not a sign of love to feeds pets with treats so they get obese. Quite
the reverse.

Old September 25th 14, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gennie[_2_]

The story behind the big cat
http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/set...e-39-pound-cat