cat eats too much

Old February 13th 04, 10:09 PM
Calvin Rice

Default cat eats too much

I have a five month old kitten that I think may eat too much. I'm not
worried about it at this stage, because it probably makes him grow fast,
but once he's grown it may make him get fat. He always has a plump belly
during the day, though it gets smaller during the night.

I have four cats, one of them confined to a bedroom,
and the others free to go in and out at will all the time.
They have dry cat chow available at all times, but I feed them
from Fancy Feast cans three times a day, and give one of them, who
doesn't seem to eat enough, Gerber chicken glop or deli chicken once
a day.

The problem is that the five month old always wants to eat too, so he
usually greedily eats the most during their regular feeding, and he
has the extra special treat too, when I give it to the one who I think
needs it.

Also, when I feed the confined cat, the young one waits outside the bedroom
door, and distracts the confined one while I try to get him to eat, which
is hard while he is distracted. So eventually I let the young one come in
for their daily, or twice daily, visit and the first thing the young one
does is start finishing off the uneaten food of the confined one.

No cat ever goes hungry because of another one being greedy, because I'm
usually there making sure they have multiple plates to eat off of; and
there's always the dry food in any case.

So, in this crazy environment, the young cat (5 months) is eating too much,
it seems, maintaining a noticably fatter belly than my other cats ever did
at his age.

I just wondered if there would be any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Calvin Rice