taking cat on a bus

Old December 16th 04, 02:35 AM
Laila

Default taking cat on a bus

i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with
me because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even
if our two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am
afraid that a four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have
no other way of taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i
would have next to me. i am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and
not having access to her litterbox during this time.

-L
Old December 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laila" wrote in message
i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with
me because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even
if our two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am
afraid that a four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have
no other way of taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i
would have next to me. i am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and
not having access to her litterbox during this time.

-L

She should be fine for the four hours. I had my first cat w/ me for what
was supposed to be a little under 3 hours one New Year's. But there was a
snowstorm & the drive took me at least 4 hours. I think she simply slept
through most of the ride... If healthy, a cat can quite easily make do
w/out a litter box & food for that amount of time. Even if you add on a
half hour of transit time to each end of the trip, she should be okay.

I take it the bus co. allows a cat carrier (w/ a cat in it)? I hope.

Cathy

Old December 16th 04, 03:09 AM
Chris

Cats can go on car rides for that long... so should not be a problem..she'll
probably sleep..just DO NOT take her out no matter what--strange places,
noises, etc. would make her run away & hide. Make sure that bus will let
you on with her.

Old December 16th 04, 03:14 AM
Angela St.Aubin

"Laila" wrote in message
i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with
me because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even
if our two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am
afraid that a four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have
no other way of taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i
would have next to me. i am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and
not having access to her litterbox during this time.

-L

Make sure to call and make complete plans with the bus company way in
advance. Even if they allow you to bring her on the bus with you, they may
want you to buy an extra ticket for the seat, or they may have rules about
papers, types of carrier, etc.

Old December 16th 04, 03:20 AM
MaryL

"Laila" wrote in message
i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with
me because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even
if our two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am
afraid that a four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have
no other way of taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i
would have next to me. i am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and
not having access to her litterbox during this time.

-L

As the others have said, you first need to make sure that you will be
permitted to take your cat on the bus. I did a great deal of traveling with
my cats, both by car and by plane (with the cat in the cabin under the seat
in front of me). I made long trips without any problems. I also took a cat
on the train for several extended trips. However, "rules" changed and
trains would no longer permit pets. At that time, I looked into the
possibility of bus transportation -- and they also did not permit pets. So,
*make sure* that the bus line you plan to use will permit pets before you go
any further with your arrangements. If they do permit it, cats can travel
just fine. Send me email if you would like for me to describe some of the
preparations I made when traveling with my cats. (The e-mail address
attached to this is valid except that you need to"take-out-the-litter.")

MaryL
Holiday safety tips for cats:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/holidaysafety/

Old December 16th 04, 05:23 AM
Suzie-Q

In article t,
"Chris" wrote:

- Cats can go on car rides for that long... so should not be a problem..she'll
- probably sleep..just DO NOT take her out no matter what--strange places,
- noises, etc. would make her run away & hide. Make sure that bus will let
- you on with her.

And put a cat collar on her with a tag with some sort of
identification so that you (or someone) can be contacted
if she does escape somehow.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old December 16th 04, 05:52 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-16, Laila penned:
i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with me
because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even if our
two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am afraid that a
four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have no other way of
taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i would have next to me. i
am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and not having access to her
litterbox during this time.

When I had to take Oscar cross-country in the car, I found that she *wouldn't*
use the litterbox or eat. I guess all of the weirdness was just too much. My
guess is that she'll have no problem "holding it" for that long; she'll be too
nervous to pee, anyway.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 17th 04, 10:55 PM
Zythophile

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2004-12-16, Laila penned:
[...]

My experience, with one of my cats, is exactly the opposite. Where I lived
before was about 10 km from the vet. When I had to take the Mogwai & the
Gremlin to the vet, the Mogwai had no problems at all. The Gremlin was a
different story; after about a mile, regardless of the weather, I needed to
open all the car windows and sunroof and breathe through my mouth. If you've
never taken puss on a motor vehicle ride, I suggest you try her with a
shortish car ride before embarking on a long bus ride. If I were to ever
take the Gremlin on any form of public transport, the other passengers would
be none too chuffed!

51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

Old December 18th 04, 12:00 AM
SueNYC

"Laila" wrote in message
i am traveling from New York to Boston and i need to take Shaina with
me because theresn't going to be anyone left in our apartment and even
if our two flatmates stayed, i wouldn't leave her with them. i am
afraid that a four hour bus ride will be too much for Shaina. i have
no other way of taking her with me. i have a soft carrier that i
would have next to me. i am wondering if she'll be ok not eating and
not having access to her litterbox during this time.

-L

My dad works for Greyhound and I am sorry to tell you that they do not allow
any animals other than certified service animals on their buses. Neither
does Peter Pan. You will have to find alternative transportation or find a
cat sitter.

SueNY