Advice Regarding "Feral" Cat

Old March 8th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Default Advice Regarding "Feral" Cat

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. A couple of
months ago a beautiful kitten showed up in our backyard (I live in a three
apartment house). He is extremely cuddly and runs right up to you for love
so he obviously belonged to someone at some point. Another kitten showed up
at a neighbor's house around the same time, and is the same age, so the only
thing we can think is that someone's cat had a litter and they dumped the
litter off in the area being that he is human friendly. Every night I come
home from work and he waits for me in the back and we cuddle for a bit, I cry
my eyes out because I cannot take him in as I have two cats of my own and am
worried about disease, and I put him down and come in. Now tonight, I come
home and when I was holding him I noticed that he seems to have an eye
infection. I am thinking of taking him to the vet on Saturday because of
this but is there anything I can do in the meantime? Also, I assume the vet
will give me drops to give him, but I am worried that once he realizes that
he is going to get drops, he is going to stop coming around at night. Please
give me some advice on this as I am going out of mind thinking of this poor
little guy out there. I cannot take him to a shelter as the family
downstairs has somewhat "adopted" him in that they feed him and let him in at
night to sleep and their kids are attached to him but I know that they will
not take him to the vet.

Old March 9th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

He is not a feral cat. Feral cats are wild. I would take him to the vet and
also see if you can get the kitten adopted. The neighbor hasn't really
adopted him. You can always keep him in a bathroom before he gets clearance
from the vet for health issues.
Gail

Old March 9th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

That is what I was thinking of doing, locking him in an extra bedroom, but
won't that drive my other cats crazy? I have to put them first although that
is becoming harder and harder. I am trying to find a home for him right now
on my own. How long does it take to get results back from the vet as far as
him having leukemia?

Gail wrote:
He is not a feral cat. Feral cats are wild. I would take him to the vet and
also see if you can get the kitten adopted. The neighbor hasn't really
adopted him. You can always keep him in a bathroom before he gets clearance
from the vet for health issues.
Gail
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. A couple
of

[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]
will
not take him to the vet.

Old March 9th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

A few days to get results from the vet. Your other cats will be OK. They
will be curious as to who is in the bathroom, but they will be OK. This
kitten deserves a chance for a good home and you are terrific to care.
Gail

Old March 9th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Thank you Gail! I will go outside and find him.

Gail wrote:
A few days to get results from the vet. Your other cats will be OK. They
will be curious as to who is in the bathroom, but they will be OK. This
kitten deserves a chance for a good home and you are terrific to care.
Gail
That is what I was thinking of doing, locking him in an extra bedroom, but
won't that drive my other cats crazy? I have to put them first although

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
will
not take him to the vet.

Old March 9th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Gail wrote:
He is not a feral cat. Feral cats are wild. I would take him to the vet
and
also see if you can get the kitten adopted. The neighbor hasn't really
adopted him. You can always keep him in a bathroom before he gets
clearance
from the vet for health issues.
Gail
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. A
couple
of
[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]
will
not take him to the vet.

It is such a nice feeling when you hear that someone cares about a
kitty enough to bother taking them to the vet surgery, even though the
cat doesn't belong to them.
I don't see a problem with putting him into isolation anywhere in your
house, just until you get the results back.

Thank you for caring enough to bother to do that for him.
There are just so many people these days that would prefer to cross
the road than even look at the poor little mite

The dream scenario would be that you find out that he is a healthy
perfect puss cat..
If this is not the case, then perhaps you might have to think about
who can take him..
Is it not possible for you to have him, assuming that all the tests
come back clear?
If not, are there any no kill policy shelters in your area?

I don't know what to advise you if you are in the USA..?

Over in the UK, you could have taken him on to the Cat Protection
League, who would have hung on to him until the most worthy slave came
along to love him...
Best of Luck for Saturday, & please do let us know how you got on..?
Thank you!
S;o)

Old March 9th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Gail wrote:
A few days to get results from the vet. Your other cats will be OK. They
will be curious as to who is in the bathroom, but they will be OK. This
kitten deserves a chance for a good home and you are terrific to care.
Gail
That is what I was thinking of doing, locking him in an extra bedroom, but
won't that drive my other cats crazy? I have to put them first although

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
will
not take him to the vet.

yes please try to help him, get him , keep him in a room by himself,
your cats will not go mad or have nervous breakdowns just by him being
there for a few days, more important you help this little fellow.
one thing i have worked out from having to pill 2 separate cats twice
a day (present cat jessie and last cat jasper, both hyperthyroid) wa
sthat if you give them a treat or particular favoured bit of food
directly after the pillor treament then they start to associate the
treament with the treat and expect it afterwards and so pilling does
not seem so bad. It is as though i ahve conditioned jessie to link the
pill with an imminent treat now and she went from being outerageously
wild to very easy to medicate now.

it may work, i may not, you certainly have to be consistent with
always giving a treat after the pill or drops, and talk gently to the
kitten while you are doing it. After you have given him the drops
continue to hold him and stroke and talk to him until he calms down
and then let him go so you part on good terms as it were.

best of luck with him and keep us posted, maybe your 2 cats will
accept him and he can become part of the family

bookie

Old March 9th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:6ee5be358967f@uwe...
That is what I was thinking of doing, locking him in an extra bedroom, but
won't that drive my other cats crazy? I have to put them first although
that
is becoming harder and harder. I am trying to find a home for him right
now
on my own. How long does it take to get results back from the vet as far
as
him having leukemia?

------------
When I had Tux tested, it only took about a half hour to get the results.
But the rub is that if the cat has been exposed to leukemia recently (say,
less than two months ago), his body may not have formed the telltale
antibodies yet, which would render a positive test result. Tux came from a
rescue group who had him tested right away. Then, he had been in a foster
home for several months. When I had him tested, it was the second test
(several months after the first test). If I were you, I would have the cat
tested. If the results are negative, he is probably okay, but you do have to
weigh the relative risk of what do you think is the possibility that he had
a cat fight with a leukemia-positive cat within the last two months. The
risk to your own cats is also considerably less if they are vaccinated
against feline leukemia. The vaccination renders 80% protection. Also, even
unvaccinated adult cats are much less vulnerable to acquiring the virus (if
exposed to a leukemia-positive cat) than kittens. Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 9th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Being a kitten - he may just have an upper respiratory infection that
could be remedied by antibiotics.
Go to the vet!!!