drooling kitties

Old June 19th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Default drooling kitties

cybercat wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message
Any ideas on what can cause both of my cats to start drooling? It's not a
lot of drool, but just a single drop that's slowly dripping out of the
side of their mouths.

Not meaning to scare you--but do have them examined. It's probably a tooth
or a minor issue, but when our Boo began this, it was the first sign of oral
cancer. Not that I think BOTH of your cats might have come down with this at
the same time. But better safe than sorry.

Well, Kotyo was due to go to the vet today anyway, and I took Sweety
with him. They couldn't find anything wrong with either of them. And
Kotyo has stopped drooling - I haven't seen him drool in over 24 hours.
So the vet thinks that I should watch Sweety over the weekend if and her
drooling gets worse to bring her in on Monday. But the hope is that
she'll follow Kotyo's example and will also stop drooling on her own. We
have absolutely no idea what is causing the drooling though - they don't
have a fever, they have very good appetites, are using the litterbox
regularly, and are their normal playful selves. Kotyo's teeth need a
dental, but Sweety's teeth are fine. It's a mystery...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old June 19th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Gandalf wrote:

This really caught my eye:

We just plugged in an air freshener in the bathroom today, and it has
been
emitting a pretty strong smell - could this have made her nauseous and
made her drool? I've already turned it off, just in case.

Whenever you cat's behavior changes, the first thing to do is see if
their environment has changed in any way.

This very well could be the cause: a chemical in the scent could be
causing them to drool, with your younger cat just taking longer to react
to it.

I hope so anyways, and you did the right thing by unplugging it.

Unfortunately unplugging it didn't make a difference - Sweety is still
drooling a little bit from time to time. However Kotyo hasn't drooled in
the last 24 hours, so I'm hoping that whatever it is will get out of
Sweety's system as well.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety