Warring with a loudmouthed Siamese cat

Old August 24th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

Default Warring with a loudmouthed Siamese cat

The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese *******.

He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
time to eat.

I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
were ready to strangle him.

He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
"dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
psychiatric medication to calm down.

Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
without being awakened.
Old August 25th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese ******* snip

When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

DWMeowMix

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old August 25th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:09:33 -0600, DWMeowMix wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese ******* snip

When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
tantrum. I reserve the squirt gun for 1am howls when I have to flush him
out from under the bed to carry him off to "the dungeon".

Maybe I need to get earplugs. I have some heavy over-the-ear headphones
I could use.

I don't understand why he things his howling will get him anything but the
dungeon. I haven't let him outside at night since the middle of June and have
hardly slept 4 hours in a row since then.
Old August 25th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese ******* snip

When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
tantrum.

hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake.

Old August 26th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese ******* snip

When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
tantrum.

hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake.

I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and is
going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending more than
15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is exactly how
he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.
Old August 26th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

On Aug 25, 2:07*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

I don't understand why he things his howling will get him anything but the
dungeon. *I haven't let him outside at night since the middle of June and have
hardly slept 4 hours in a row since then. *

Given your most recent post which seems to indicate you are about to
give in, his persistence appears to have been the intelligent thing to
do if he knew you would cave in the end. Sheer bloodimindedness can
go a long way in life, as he obviously has figured out at some point.

--tension

Old August 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:41:08 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:22:06 -0400, cybercat wrote:
hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake.

I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and is
going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending more than
15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is exactly how
he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.

Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour after
coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle of
the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until I got
up at 6:30am.

Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go out
until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.

Old August 26th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:
[...]

The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they will
not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing science.

I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.

Old August 27th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a siamese cat capapable for
howling for six months straight.

You don't have to be such an asshole about it.
Must be nice not needing sleep.
Old August 27th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AZ Nomad" wrote:

The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they
will
not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing
science.

I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.

Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a siamese cat capapable for
howling for six months straight.

You don't have to be such an asshole about it.
Must be nice not needing sleep.

I don't mean to be an asshole, I just wonder why you won't train your cat to
stay inside. He will howl for a while, then he will stop. They are
trainable. And he is safer inside, anyway. You suffer through the time he is
making the transition, then you don't have a problem. If he howls, confine
him to a room farthest from where you sleep, and sleep with a large HEPA
filter by the head of your bed. You won't be able to hear him, unless you
live in an 800 square foot apartment.

(By the way, I have lived with a loudmouthed Siamese. We had a female as a
child. They really are a thing apart, vocally.)